• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brickwall on George Henry Gordon FRANKLIN of oxford

I have come up to a brick wall on a Franklin

I have an Emma FRANKLIN who married Forrester MUIR in Islington
    The marriage details show she was the dau of George Henry Gordon Franklin
    On Emmas marriage, her father states he is an Artist

I am trying to get further back on George, but cannot get further back than the 1841 census

1841 census has the family at St Andrew Holborn (Below The Bars) > District 2 > 33
    George born c1796 (Occ is Artist)
    Wife Jane born c1806
    Dau jane born c1825
    Dau EMMA born c1830
    Dau Elizabeth born c1835

1851 census has the family at St Pancras > Grays Inn Lane > District 15 > 49
    George born c1797 in St Ebbs, Oxfordshire, England (OCC Coffee House Keeper and Artist)
    (St Ebbs is in Oxford itself)
    Wife Jane born c1803 in Shoreditch London
    Dau Jane born c1825 in Southwark Surrey
    Dau EMMA born c1831 St Andrews Middlesex
    Dau Elizabeth born c1835 St Andrews Middlesex

George dies in 1853

1861 has Jane with two of her daughters at Islington > Islington West > District 12 > 4
    Jane is the head, Occ is Lodging house Keeper
    Jane (c1825) is there with her husband Henry Holden, Occ is a Lawyer’s clerk
    Emma and Elizabeth are also with her

Jane(the mother), dies Oct 1877 - Islington, London

Does anyone have any connections?

Thanks
    Trev
    Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 02-06-12, 12:02.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

have you found henry and jane's marriage?

Comment

The marriage is pre 1837 and so not listed on BMD and I could not find a relevant record on London parish records

Wife Jane born c1803 in Shoreditch London
      First Dau Jane born c1825 in Southwark Surrey
      So I assume the marriage is between 1820 and 1824

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Did you see - possible?

George Franklin
        Jane Godbe
        Marriage
        10 Feb 1824
        Westminster St Martin in the Fields
        Borough: Westminster
        Register Type: Bishop's Transcript

Comment

Name: George Henry Gordon Franklin
          Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1853
          Registration district: Pancras
          Inferred County: London
          Volume: 1b

Im just wondering if he may have been born as a Gordon rather than Franklin? As he has been kind enough to give his exact place of birth, can you get a look up on his bap?
          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 02-06-12, 17:04.

Comment

I had been assuming it was a middle name, but following your thoughts, I looked for a George Gordon and I saw no Gordons in Oxfordshire

Looks like I need to get hold of parish records to look this up
            Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 02-06-12, 18:23.

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
              Did you see - possible?

George Franklin
              Jane Godbe
              Marriage
              10 Feb 1824
              Westminster St Martin in the Fields
              Borough: Westminster
              Register Type: Bishop's Transcript
              Yes I had seen this, but she stated she is of the parish St Clements Dane (Westminster) and on all the census, she states she is from Shoreditch

Researching:

Comment

She could have been born in Shoreditch and living in the parish of St Clements Dane at the time of her marriage. My G Grandparents were married in Islington and gave addresses there but lived in Kent and went back to Kent after the marriage.

Comment

I have been looking at the London parish Boundries map

St Andrews and St Clements Dane are adjacent to each other, which means it is most possibly the correct marriage after all.:o
                  Still does not help with finding the Oxford roots, but does show he was a widower at the time of the marriage on the record, with Jane being a spinster.

Researching:

Comment

Not sure if you have this but could be useful, found George in the Index to Death Duty Registers under the Canterbury Perogative Court Administrations 1853

Intestate - Franklin George Henry
                    Administrator- Jane Franklin, 2 Calthorpe Place, Greys Inn
                    Vol 1 Folio 244

Comment

that could be interesting. i don't know what info is recorded in administrations though.

Comment

I must admit I didn't either so I looked it up. It is all explained on the National Archive site and you can look up the entry on Documentsonline, but basically -

Death Duty Registers give different info to a will or adminstration and contains info not found anywhere else.
                        Registers hold details of wills and bequests for estates liable to death duties.
                        It gives the date and place of the testator's death
                        It gives details about the deceased including what their personal estate was worth
                        Information on those named to carry out the instructions
                        Details of those named to inherit something and how they were related to the deceased
                        Details of any special arrangements
                        The amount of tax that was paid

Comment

so most of the info is similar to what you can find in wills. death duties were only enforced when the estate was worth a certain amount thought i hear. tales of people giving away stuff before death to avoid the death duties.

Comment

I wonder if you could find a likely Gordon/Franklin marriage in Oxford. Though Gordon could be Scottish or Irish

Comment

might be he was illegitimate, hence the surname as a given name.

Comment

Working...
                              X