From Printer to Waterside Labourer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Printer to Waterside Labourer ?

I have been looking for a couple after their marriage in 1882 in Islington.

William Brown age 23 dont know where born ,and Ann Elizabeth Wallis same age born Islington ,he says he is a printer ?

Cannot find anything of them after the marriage as I have been looking for a printer

But just spotted in 1911 a couple

William H Brown born abt 1858 Borough a Waterside Labourer
    Wife Ann Elizabeth born abt 1861 Islington
    plus children

they say married 30 years

Could this possibly be my couple ? seems odd to go from Printer to Waterside Labourer

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 29-05-12, 22:39.

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
    But just spotted in 1911 a couple

William H Brown born abt 1858 Borough a Waterside Labourer
    Wife Ann Elizabeth born abt 1861 Islington
    plus children

they say married 30 years

Could this possibly be my couple ? seems odd to go from Printer to Waterside Labourer

Thanks
    Hmmm, not convinced. If this (link below) is the 1911 couple and following them back from 1911 they look likely, then they can't be yours as 'your' Ann Elizabeth is with her family in 1881. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=13444898

Your Ann Elizabeth in 1881, http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...n&bsk=&pgoff=2
    Last edited by Guest; 30-05-12, 00:45.

Comment

not finding anything on familysearch, sorry.

Comment

I've just been comparing William Brown signatures on 1911 census/marriage. I don't think the signatures are written by the same person, wondering what others think?

Comment

thanks for looking that 1881 link has William H Brown as a Tinman ?? is that the same bloke ? I also could not find a suitable marriage around between 1880 and 1884 other than my one?

Comment

It's a tough one, William Brown wasn't exactly a rare name! Tinman to labourer seems more plausible to me than printer to labourer. Also your chap married as plain William Brown not William H Brown, BUT as we know folks often used middle names/initials as and when they fancied.

What does clinch it for me that you have diferent chaps in 1911 and the marriage, is the difference in signatures.
            Last edited by Guest; 30-05-12, 11:29.

Comment

this seems to be them in 1911

Comment

oops cross posted I cannot find a appropiate marriage between another William Brown and an Ann either with or without the Elizabeth bit

Comment

I couldn't find a marriage either for William H pre Jun qrt 1881. Did you compare signatures for 1911/marriage.

Comment

thanks Susan but his father is a Painter ? according to the marriage his Father was a Bricklayer ?? yes did compare signatures and must say I agree with you , but would it have been his signature definitely ? as I often sign things for my husband.

Comment

A possible marriage for the other couple,

William Harold Brown, Marylebone Dec 1880, 1a/1077, also indexed Annie Phillips

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        thanks Susan but his father is a Painter ? according to the marriage his Father was a Bricklayer ?? yes did compare signatures and must say I agree with you , but would it have been his signature definitely ? as I often sign things for my husband.
                        Apologies Val, I forgot his father was a bricklayer. If a SIGNATURE then it SHOULD be signed by the person named - if signed by his wife why wouldn't she sign the box using her own name?

Comment

think I will have to admit defeat Susan thanks for all you've done, wish I could find them

Comment

oops cross posted again yes your right of course I am clutching at straws.

Comment

Don't give up, Val. I'll continue looking later. I wonder if they emigrated? Or William died and Ann Elizabeth remarried?

Comment

I do give up on them for a few months then have to have another go it really bugs me , other people have looked too ,have found sometimes if I cannot find people on the next census and I try another one often find them so was hoping this lot had evaded me as I was looking for a Printer.
                                Thanks very much for looking .

Comment

Val, I havent followed the researches but transcribing as I do, "Painter" and "Printer" often look alike in scrawl masquerading as handwriting; something to consider perhaps?

Comment

thats an interesting observation Alan thanks for that I seem to remember finding a Painter who looked likely ?

Comment

nudged up for reference

Comment

Working...
                                      X