Pottery in/around Melbourne, Derbys early/mid nineteenth century

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pottery in/around Melbourne, Derbys early/mid nineteenth century

I've got someone in Melbourne, Derbys in 1830/45, described as a pottery artist/painter (he later became a well known artist in Australia). Can anyone help me identify the pottery & tell me if his name might have appeared on any of the items he was responsible for ?

the only one that immediately springs to mind is 'Denby' pottery, but dont think that is anywhere near Melbourne!.. I think Royal Doulton also have a factory on Osmaston Rd...
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks, Julie.....he's not really a rellie....he's the second husband of someone who married into the family with her first marriage....but he's far more interesting than my lot

Comment

You might be interested to know, Julie, that I've found an advert on the internet offering some rare pottery for sale from the Melbourne Pottery (at Melbourne), Derbyshire from c1770

Cripes ! It's a coffee pot for 1325 pounds

I've found the website of Melbourne Historical Society & they sell greetings cards with his paintings on the front (William Dexter)
        Last edited by greyingrey; 29-05-12, 19:48.

Comment

oooh thats lovely.. though I wouldn't pay that much for a coffee pot!!.. my coffee gets spooned into me mug and away we go.. I don't like the 'proper' coffee you stuff in a machine...urgh the smell is 'orrible!
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You're not supposed to use it, Julie ....it's a "display piece". As you might imagine, I'm a spoon in the mug person myself, which is a bit hard going in Germany, where there's a very strong culture of inviting people round & having all the "right stuff". I must admit it's quite an elegant looking thing, though I'm not over keen on the colours, which it says is typical of the pottery produced there.....a cream background with a sort of dark raspberry decoration

I might get some of the cards, though, for sentimental reasons
            Last edited by greyingrey; 30-05-12, 17:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
              the only one that immediately springs to mind is 'Denby' pottery, but dont think that is anywhere near Melbourne!.. I think Royal Doulton also have a factory on Osmaston Rd...
              Julie... the one on Osmaston Road is Royal Crown Derby, it was a workhouse many years ago, i used to pass it on my way to high school every day.
              Last edited by Ozzie Gert; 01-06-12, 13:07.
              Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
              Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
              Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X