Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - I need to find a marriage!

Hi,

Could anybody help to see if they can find a marriage between a Benjamin Badham and Jane ??

Benjamin was born around 1837 at Leominster, Herefordshire, and Jane around 1840 at Pembridge, also in Herefordshire. There early children were born at Battersea, in Surrey, and I would guess that this is were they would have married (if they have married at all).

I am hoping that Jane Badham is my long lost 3rd Great-Aunt, Jane Tippin, but I am stuck without the marriage. I have checked on Ancestry's London Records, and on the GRO but with no success. Would any one have any idea's for the Battersea area (I am a complete novice when it comes to London/Surrey Records).

This is them on the 1871 census, living in Battersea. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=5721393

And on the 1881 census, now living at Leominster. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=7197215

And on the 1891 census, still at Leominster. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=3289025

Jane is on the 1901 census, without Benjamin, still at Leominster. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1901&indiv=1

Many thanks for any help.
    Tippin
    Families Intrested in
    Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Can't see an obvious marriage at the moment.
    Another option would be to get one of the children's birth certificates which should have mother's maiden name on it. Might help to eliminate if nothing else!
    Elaine

Comment

There is a Benjamin in Wales in 1901 born Leominster, and he dies in 1906.. a quick look and find there are two benjamin badhams born in hereford bet. 1837-1840 on the census, the other one marries an Emma Louise.

1901 ref: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...1wales&indiv=1

Source Citation: Class: RG13; Piece: 5252; Folio: 12; Page: 5.

edit to say, the benjamin in wales 1901 is a house decorator and on others he is a painter.. so looks like your man.
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-05-12, 10:17.
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I did wonder if she had been married previously, but didn't find any possibles.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The 'other' Benjamin is an Ag Lab [the one that is married to Emma]
          Julie

Comment

death, for a Benjamin, though this might be the other one, I havent looked to see if he is on the 1911 with Emma.

Name: Benjamin Badham
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
            Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1906
            Age at Death: 69
            Registration district: Leominster
            Inferred County: Herefordshire
            Volume: 6a
            Page: 372

edit: Emma is a widow in 1911, but I can't see an immediate death for her Benjamin yet.

ahh this could be her husband.

Name: Benjamin Badham
            Estimated Birth Year: abt 1840
            Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1904
            Age at Death: 64
            Registration district: Monmouth
            Inferred County: Monmouthshire
            Volume: 11a
            Page: 16
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 29-05-12, 10:29.
            Julie

Comment

There is a possible death for Jane in June 1929 in Leominster aged 87 ref 6a 625
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for all the help!!

I think I will have to buy one of Benjamin & Jane's children's birth certificates to see what Jane's maiden name was. It will be worth the money just, as Elaine pointed out, to disprove it.

The more I look into Jane Badham, the more it does seem likely. Jane Tippin was born at the same time, in the same place. Benjamin & Jane Badham don't seem to have a marriage certificate, so perhaps they did not marry. If the Jane Badham who dies in 1929 is the same Jane, then she certainly lived old enough to rival her two sisters (Hannah died 1930 aged c. 86 years and Rhoda died 1940 aged c. 94 years!).

The only nagging worry is that when Rhoda died in 1940, she left a will. As a spinster, she left all her possessions/money to her brother's children. No mention of any Badham's.

Many thanks once again for all the wonderful help.
                Tippin
                Families Intrested in
                Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

might it be that Rhoda fell out with her sister? [didn't approve of living over the brush with Benjamin and cut her off?] though do agree that the b/cert is the way to go, at least then you'll know for sure and stop wondering!

just as a thought, have you looked for a marriage 20+ yrs after they began having children?? (I have one that lived together [as married] and had children.. for 40yrs, then they marry in 1907 and hubby dies in 1908!.)
                  Julie

Comment

There is a will for Jane Badham 1929:

Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      just as a thought, have you looked for a marriage 20+ yrs after they began having children?? (I have one that lived together [as married] and had children.. for 40yrs, then they marry in 1907 and hubby dies in 1908!.)
                      Jane's niece, Rhoda Annie, did the same thing. She was living with the man on the 1911 census, but did not marry until 1939! When Rhoda (Jane's sister) wrote her will in the early 30's, she definitely seemed to think that Rhoda Annie was married! I have just had a look on the GRO to see if this happened with Jane, but it seems there is no Benjamin Badham's married with the same reference points as a Jane! The closest was a Benjamin Badtam, but he was living with his in-law's on the 1871 census, so I can rule him out.

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                      might it be that Rhoda fell out with her sister? [didn't approve of living over the brush with Benjamin and cut her off?]
                      That was my first thought at the weekend when I found Jane Badham. The only problem is, I would be second guessing Rhoda. Rhoda was a housekeeper in 1901 to an Edward MacNamara. When he dies (I think around 1902), he leaved Rhoda and her brother John as the Executors to his will, and next thing I know Rhoda own's Edward's house, even though I believe Edward's wife was still alive! This seems odd to me, and I have often wondered if there was something going on between Rhoda and Edward, especially as Edward's wife was out of the house in 1901! If this is the case, could Rhoda really have cut of her sister? Of course, I am second guessing what happened over 100 years ago. For a start if Jane is Jane Badham, that would have been before her parents died, so perhaps they were the one's who cut her out of the family. Where would you start looking for your long lost sister in the early 1900's!

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
                      There is a will for Jane Badham 1929:
                      Thanks for finding that Caroline, I had not thought to look at the wills! It definitely does look like the Jane Badham who died in 1929 was the wife of Benjamin. Now all I need to do is prove the link!

Many Thanks,
                      Tippin
                      Families Intrested in

Comment

No luck I am afraid.

I ordered the certificate online from Wandsworth Record Office last night, but they email me this morning to say that the mother's maiden name was not Tippin, but Seabourne!

Back to the drawing border with my search for Jane then
                        Families Intrested in

Comment

Well, at least it has eliminated it!

What do you know about Jane?
                          Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

To be honest, I don't really have much on Jane.

She was born on 13 October 1840 at Pembridge, Herefordshire, and was the daughter of William Tippins, a Shoemaker, and his wife Ann (nee Pinches). By 1841, the family have moved to Luston, which is in the Parish of Eye, Herefordshire (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1841&indiv=1).

The family are still at Luston on the 1851 census. (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgPLz0q3dpid).

By 1861, the family have moved to the parish of Rock, Worcestershire. Jane herself is a servant working in Edgbaston, Warwickshire (Now part of Birmingham). (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgPLz0q3dpid).

After that she just seems to disappear. I have been unable to find a marriage for her, and so far unable to find a death. She may have used the name Tippins or Tippin (All of her siblings had dropped the ‘s’ by 1891). God knows what happened to her, and I am starting to think I will never know!

Thanks,
                            Tippin
                            Families Intrested in

Comment

Originally posted by Tippin View Post
                              Hi Elaine,

To be honest, I don't really have much on Jane.

She was born on 13 October 1840 at Pembridge, Herefordshire, and was the daughter of William Tippins, a Shoemaker, and his wife Ann (nee Pinches). By 1841, the family have moved to Luston, which is in the Parish of Eye, Herefordshire (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1841&indiv=1).

The family are still at Luston on the 1851 census. (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgPLz0q3dpid).

By 1861, the family have moved to the parish of Rock, Worcestershire. Jane herself is a servant working in Edgbaston, Warwickshire (Now part of Birmingham). (http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...26pgPLz0q3dpid).

After that she just seems to disappear. I have been unable to find a marriage for her, and so far unable to find a death. She may have used the name Tippins or Tippin (All of her siblings had dropped the ā€˜sā€™ by 1891). God knows what happened to her, and I am starting to think I will never know!

Thanks,
                              Tippin
                              i can only see two marriages on freebmd one 1862 narberth the other 1870 monmouth if it helps any dave

Comment

have you discounted this marriage??

Name: Jane Tippins
                                Date of Registration: Apr-May-Jun 1868
                                Registration district: Presteigne
                                Inferred County: Herefordshire
                                Volume Number: 11b
                                Page Number: 249

spouse is Richard Burgoyne
                                Julie

Comment

Julie - Thanks for having a look for the marriage for me.

The Jane that married Richard Burgoyne was the widow of John Tippins, who was the toll gate keeper in the Parish of Titley, Herefordshire.

Dave - Thanks for the information. I have had a look on freeBMD, but cannot find the two marriages you are talking about. Would it be possible to give me the quarter?

Thanks,
                                  Tippin
                                  Families Intrested in

Comment

badham

1862 march 11a 693 narberth1870 sep 11a31 monmouth 1873 dec 6c 31 dudley hope you can find them now if they help with your search dave

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                                    X