Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smith Hartley and family in 1901

Hi

I'm looking for Smith* Hartley, b. 1980 in Cowling, Yorkshire. He's most likely with his wife, Annie (nee Blythe) b. 1869 in Great Marsden, Lancs (m. 1894) and their two sons, Wilfred, b. 1895 in Colne and Herbert, b. 1899 in Colne. Chances are they're in Colne because Smith and Annie go on to have a daughter, Edna, who was b. 1903 in Colne. By 1911, the family are in Blackpool.

I have his birth and Christening info from Ancestry, and him on the 1871, 1881 and 1891 censuses, plus him with family in 1911, so it's just 1901 I'm missing. I've searched for all four people (Smith, Annie, Wilfred and Herbert) individually, but can't find any of them, so fear they have been woefully mis-transcribed. Wondered if anyone with FMP could find them for me and give me the refs etc. please?

[There is 2yo Herbert Hartley who is in the workhouse in 1901, but I don't think that's "my" Herbert - there are quite a few Herbert Hartley's born in the Burnley reg district around that time, but I seriously expect my Herbert to be with his parents and brother.]

Thanks in advance

STG

* unusual first name, but then he did have brothers called Barton and Turner!
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

They are at 40 Varley Street, Colne
    Piece 3887 Folio 103 Page 23

Comment

Oh, thanks v.much Frazzled.

There're on Ancestry as Hatley. Doh!

Interestingly, [well, to me, anyway] Annie's parents live at No. 60 Varley Street. Her mother dies in 1906 and by 1911 her father is living with Annie and family in Blackpool.

Thanks again.

regards
      STG

Comment

If you look at the image it looks like Hailtey!! If you look at the family above the father and one son are called Hartley for a christian name!

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
          If you look at the image it looks like Hailtey!! If you look at the family above the father and one son are called Hartley for a christian name!
          Yes, Hartley Nutter and son.

Sadly, both Wilfred and Herbert Hartley were KIA in WWI, age 20. Oh dear.

STG

Comment

Very sad indeed and heartbreaking for the family. There was a programme on the other night, think it was a repeat, with Michael Palin about WW1 saying that men and boys were still being killed right up to (and past) 11 o'clock on 11 Nov. To survive until the last day of the war and then be killed at the last minute is tragic.

Comment

Working...
            X