Dovington, Gloucestershire???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dovington, Gloucestershire???

I have a Rebecca Huxley b1814 on the 1851 census married to a George Trotman b1818 in Welford on Avon, Gloucestershire. They have her place of birth as Dovington, which as far as i can see doesn't exist. Has anyone got any ideas of where this could be?

Thanks

There's a Dorsington very near to Welford - used to be in Gloucestershire but is now Warwickshire
    Jackie

Comment

The image looks like Dorsington to me.

Theres a bunch of baps on ancestry for this couple's children by the way.
      Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 28-05-12, 10:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
        The image looks like Dorsington to me.

Theres a bunch of baps on ancestry for this couple's children by the way.
        Thank you, I can see it says Dorsington now. What does bunch of baps on ancestry mean? Sorry if I'm being thick.

Comment

Originally posted by JULES65 View Post
          Thank you, I can see it says Dorsington now. What does bunch of baps on ancestry mean? Sorry if I'm being thick.
          I'd guess that that means baptisms? (rather than bread rolls! ;) )

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-05-12, 13:51.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
            I'd guess that that means baptisms? (rather than bread rolls! ;) )

Christine
            Ah that makes sense now lol. "A bunch of baptisms? Is that more than four, only that's all I have for this couple. Is there a way of doing a search for baptisms of children by their parents names?

Comment

yup. i assume the baptisms are in the england christenings and births index though. you can search for them, but i don't know what you will find unless you have a sub. some indexes give enough without a sub to be sure, and others don't.

Comment

There appear to be some transcriptions for Dorsington on FreeREG: http://www.freereg.org.uk/
                At the moment there don't seem to be any HUXLEYs, though.

Christine

EDIT: there is a HUXLEY marriage for 1778
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-05-12, 14:25.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  There appear to be some transcriptions for Dorsington on FreeREG: http://www.freereg.org.uk/
                  At the moment there don't seem to be any HUXLEYs, though.

Christine

EDIT: there is a HUXLEY marriage for 1778
                  I have tried to find this marriage, but it comes up with no results. I wonder what I am doing wrong.

Comment

Sorry have found it now - thanks

Comment

Sorry, yes baptisms on the warwickshire baptisms, details plus images given for Charles Henry, Ann,Mary and William all in Welford, but some big gaps there, may be they lived elsewhere for a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X