Heath Family, Birmingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heath Family, Birmingham

I have hit a brick wall with this family. If anyone could help, I would be very grateful

I have Samuel Heath born around 1795 in Warwickshire, married to a Mary Ann ? who was also born in Warwickshire around 1801. I have found the family living in Birmingham on the 1841 census but cannot find them after that. I also can find nothing before that regarding the wedding, or baptisms of Samuel and Mary Ann.

In 1841 there is Samuel Heath b1795, Mary Ann b1801, Thomas Heath aged 20, Josh Heath aged 18, Samuel Heath aged 16, William Heath aged 14, Amelia Heath aged 10, Sarah Heath aged 7, John Heath aged 1 and Mary Ann Heath aged 2 months.

If anyone could point me in the right direction or help at all, that would be great.

Do you think Sam may have died and Mary Ann remarried?

Comment

It is a possibility but there are so many Heath's in Birmingham, it's hard to sort the individual families out. They all seemed to have children with the same names as well.

Comment

Do you have any particular reason to think that Samuel's wife was Mary Ann? Bear in mind that the 1841 census doesn't show relationships.

Anyway, looking at the image, the last name in the family that Ancestry has transcribed as Mary Ann Heath, aged 40, looks more like A A; the transcriber has assumed that there are two dittoes, but they don't look much like ditto marks to me.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-05-12, 00:46.

Comment

Theres a big gap there between Sarah and John, may mean nothing, but worth looking for a marriage just before John's birth.

Comment

I have not been able to find Samuel but unfortunately there are 5 Samuel Heaths who have died between 1841 and 1854. I tried looking for the younger children and might have found something.

In the 1841 census Samuel is a Gun Maker. If you put in Gun * on a census search for occupation there are quite a few men with the Heath surname who either make guns or are gun finishers.

I found a Thomas Heath b1822 with wife Lucy b1823 and he is a Gun Maker/Finisher. They have Joseph b1844, Sarah A b1847 and Mary Ann b1851. With them are visitors Ann Heath b1831 and Sarah Ann Heath b1834 both unmarried. The whole family born Birmingham and living in Henrietta Street, Birimingham, Piece 2056 Folio 208 Page 12. Could Ann be Amelia? Could they be Thomas' sisters?

Also found a Joseph Heath b1824 Gun Maker with wife Elizabeth b1826 in 1851 census Piece 2053 Folio 583 Page 17.

Also Samuel Heath b1827 with wife Charlotte Gun Finisher

Don’t know if you have this already or if it could be of use.

Edit - I am of course assuming the sons carried on in the same business as their father!
            Last edited by Frazzled; 28-05-12, 14:05.

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
              I have not been able to find Samuel but unfortunately there are 5 Samuel Heaths who have died between 1841 and 1854. I tried looking for the younger children and might have found something.

In the 1841 census Samuel is a Gun Maker. If you put in Gun * on a census search for occupation there are quite a few men with the Heath surname who either make guns or are gun finishers.

I found a Thomas Heath b1822 with wife Lucy b1823 and he is a Gun Maker/Finisher. They have Joseph b1844, Sarah A b1847 and Mary Ann b1851. With them are visitors Ann Heath b1831 and Sarah Ann Heath b1834 both unmarried. The whole family born Birmingham and living in Henrietta Street, Birimingham, Piece 2056 Folio 208 Page 12. Could Ann be Amelia? Could they be Thomas' sisters?

Also found a Joseph Heath b1824 Gun Maker with wife Elizabeth b1826 in 1851 census Piece 2053 Folio 583 Page 17.

Also Samuel Heath b1827 with wife Charlotte Gun Finisher

Don’t know if you have this already or if it could be of use.

Edit - I am of course assuming the sons carried on in the same business as their father!
              Hi, this is all very interesting. I am sure that this Thomas is Samuel's son, so yes the visitors could be his sisters. I do wonder is Ann is Amelia - I think probably. I think the Joseph is another of Samuel's sons. I have him down as a Josh Heath b1823 but this could be a transcription error on the 1841 census. I have looked at the image and is reads Jos with what looks like a raised h. The Samuel b1827 is my great great grandfather with his wife Charlotte Hunt.

I have found a Mary Ann Heath on the 1851 census, with some of the right children but with wrong ages. I wonder if you could have a look and see what you think? It is piece 2056, folio 358, page 37. I think it isn't her and it's just that she has children with the right names but wrong ages and John Heath with the right age.

This family is driving me to distraction lol. Thanks for taking the time to help me sort it out.

Comment

Originally posted by JULES65 View Post
                I have him down as a Josh Heath b1823 but this could be a transcription error on the 1841 census. I have looked at the image and is reads Jos with what looks like a raised h.
                That's right; it's the usual abbreviation for Joseph.

The Samuel b1827 is my great great grandfather with his wife Charlotte Hunt.

I have found a Mary Ann Heath on the 1851 census, with some of the right children but with wrong ages.
                Have you found Samuel junior's baptism? If not, how do you know his mother was called Mary Ann?

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                  Have you found Samuel junior's baptism? If not, how do you know his mother was called Mary Ann?

Hi. I don't know that Mary Ann is Samuel Juniors mother. I have his son's birth certificate (George Heath) which has Samuel Heath and Charlotte Hunt as his parents. I have Samuel Jnr and Charlotte's wedding certificate so I know Samuel's father was a Samuel. I am pretty certain (but need to dig out certificate to check) but William Heath was a witness at the wedding. So I was looking for a Samuel Heath Senior, with sons Samuel and William. I know Samuel senior was a Gun Finisher. It was a case of elimination really, but I don't know for certain.

Comment

Sorry Jules can you give me an address I can't find Mary Ann just using the ref no

Comment

Sorry Jules can you give me an address I can't find Mary Ann just using the ref no
                      I wish I knew how to post a link! The house where she is living is 12 Ct. 1 House, Little Charles Street in the parish of St. Martin.

Comment

Well I don't think it is the same family but I must say looking at all these Heath families they sure do like using the same names and many of the men are in the gun manufacturing/finishing business so it is a bit of a headache.

On my travels I have found this. If the 1841 census family is the right one I am pretty sure I have found William Heath b1827, Gun Finisher with his wife Susan and brother John b1840 Gun Screwer in the 1861 census at 44 Steel House Lane, Birmingham, Piece 2153 Folio 100 Page 9.

Comment

Well I don't think it is the same family but I must say looking at all these Heath families they sure do like using the same names and many of the men are in the gun manufacturing/finishing business so it is a bit of a headache.

On my travels I have found this. If the 1841 census family is the right one I am pretty sure I have found William Heath b1827, Gun Finisher with his wife Susan and brother John b1840 Gun Screwer in the 1861 census at 44 Steel House Lane, Birmingham, Piece 2153 Folio 100 Page 9.
                          No I don't think it is the same family either. Sure is confusing though!

I think you have found William and his brother John in 1861.

Comment

It's a pity that the West Yorks records on Ancestry don't include Birmingham or Aston.

Comment

I have found William on the 1881 census living with his son Jas A Heath (do you think this should read Joseph? or maybe James) at No. 2 Ct. 2 Price Street together with his brother Samuel.

Wonder where Jas A was in 1871?

Off to keep looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                It's a pity that the West Yorks records on Ancestry don't include Birmingham or Aston.
                                Why is the West Yorks records very good then. The Warwickshire ones seem very sketchy to be honest.

Comment

Sorry, that was a mistake, I meant Warwickshire (I'm researching West Yorks at the moment, so I must have had it on the brain...).

Comment

Found the 1881 census, 3 widowed men living together and none of them particularly old! Have to go out now but if no-one else has found James I will have a look later.

Comment

I have found William in 1871 and he is a widower so not married long. Couldn't find a marriage for a William Heath to a Susan? BUT I have found a William Heath b1831 Gun Finisher and wife Sarah Heath b1831 both born Birmingham in the 1851 census. I have found a marriage for a William Heath in 1848 in Birmingham problem is there are 2 Sarahs. Sarah Gingell and Sarah Reader. There is a death for a Sarah Heath 1865. Still might not be the Susan listed with William in 1861 though.

I did all of the above to try and find James.......which I haven't!! There is no birth for a James A Heath c1865 and the only reg for a James is in 1864 in Warwick. I was trying to see if Sarah/Susan? died in childbirth and maybe the child had been brought up by another family member to help William but can't find him in 1871. This is the trouble it is all guess work. Maybe William and Sarah/Susan didn't have any children at all and James was adopted or taken in by William. If we have the right marriage for William there is a 17 year gap between the marriage and the birth of James which is a long time.

Comment

On the 1861 census you found, I have William with his wife which has been transcribed as Susanah but could maybe be Sarah looking at the image. On the census John is living with them with his wife, transcribed as Carne Knight (maybe Carrie?).

With regard to Jas. A. Heath I have a Walter Jas Heath on the 1871 census as an inmate at the Gem Industrial School which I think was a school for naughty boys. He was born 1862 though so may not be the same person.

I have a James Heath born 1865 on the 1891 census, he is a lodger in the Prince of Wales Inn, Charles Henry Street, Deritend, Birmingham. The head of the household is a Mary Sheridan. I cannot make out his occupation something to do with iron.

Comment

Working...
                                        X