Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dean family of Ellenhall, Staffs

Hi,

I'm hoping someone maybe able to give me some advice on my Dean family.

I'm excited to have traced this branch of my family back to the late 17th century mostly due to other researchers efforts with evidence and sources quoted eg. parish records and wills etc.

This one however is proving a real headache:

Parents
    William & Eleanor
    William Dean Bapt' 10 Jun 1753 Ellenhall, Staffordshire

The problem is I can't find any wedding entry for Willam & Eleanor and also any other children bapts' to them which seems strange. I did find a wedding entry:

William Dean & Jane Backhouse
    1 Jan 1745, Ellenhall, Staffordshire

I'm wondering if Eleanor and Jane used both names but how can I check this ?

I couldn't find any Jane or Eleanor Backhouse Bapt in Ellenhall.

I'm not sure what to do next ????

I'm new to this site and looking forward working with other users.

All the best.
    Adrian

have you seen the actual register? just wondering if the writing is bad enough to get eleanor instead of jane. have you found any burials for jane or eleanor?

Comment

There's a burial at Ellenhall for an Eleanor, no age given, on 23rd Feb 1766. No burials for a Jane at Ellenhall.
      Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        have you seen the actual register? just wondering if the writing is bad enough to get eleanor instead of jane. have you found any burials for jane or eleanor?
        No and a good point made but I have no way of viewing the parish records except maybe buying them which works out quite expensive. I found the entry on the IGI (can be dodgy) and ancestry website for Staffordshire parish records.

The burial entry for Eleanor given is interesting.

Many thanks for your input.

Regards
        Adrian
        Last edited by apowell; 27-05-12, 10:08.

Comment

You could always order the microfilm or fiche of the PRs to view at your local LDS centre.

Alternatively, you can e-mail the Staffs Record Office and ask them to send you a scan or photocopy, which they will do for a fee.

Comment

Of course, its possible that the first wife died and he remarried? The marriage and baptism may well have been in the bride's parish.
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 27-05-12, 22:10.

Comment

Hi,

I've been in touch with another researcher and her family member had done some research on my Dean ancestors and she's very kindly given me further information. I'm waiting for her to send documents etc researched but she's already told me a few more details and I'm wondering if you could help me expand further.

11 Apr 1689 Nathaniel Dean and Margaret Smyth of Ranton Monastery.
              Marriages. (Marriage)
              Staffordshire: Ellenhall - Parish Registers, 1539-1812

The information given was that Nathaniel worked as lawn head.

I've no idea what a lawn head did and would they have lived and worked at Ranton Monastery ????

I couldn't find any mention of Ranton Monastery in the late 17th century.

Any help would be great.

Kind regards
              Adrian
              Last edited by apowell; 04-07-12, 20:53.

Comment

Ranton Abbey or Ranton Priory was an Augustinian Priory in Ranton, Staffordshire, England, built c.1150 by Robert fitz Noel of Ellenhall.

Comment

Working...
                X