Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edith Gudrun Andersen f.1899 - USA/Canada???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edith Gudrun Andersen f.1899 - USA/Canada???

Hallo Canada.
    I hope this site can help me to find Edith Gudrun Andersen born in Copenhagen may 6 1899. She should have come to Canada in 1923 from Glasgow in Scotland.
    As far as I know she wanted to do missionaer work in Canada.
    That is all I know, now the question is can you help me to get further information about her life?

Kind regards Erik - from Copenhagen

Welcome to the forum Erik. I am going to move your query to our Family Hitory Research forum in the hope that some of our members can help.
    Elaine

Comment

Thank for the help Elaine - I was't sure if I put it in the correct forum.
      Hopefully someone can help :-)
      Regads Erik

Comment

Erik, welcome, but this site is actually based in the UK.

Can you give us ALL you know about this lady to help us find any information please, particularly as she has quite a common name.

Did she die in Vancouver in 1969?
        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 25-05-12, 21:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post

Can you give us ALL you know about this lady to help us find any information please, particularly as she has quite a common name.

Hi Heather.
          I am sorry about that because I actually had the feeling that you were in Canada.
          But maybe you can help anyway :-)
          I wrote she was born may 6 1899 but this is wrong. She was born juni 6 1899 in Copenhagen. Then I only know she went to Glasgow and from there to Quebec in Canada in 1923. That's all I know, sorry.
          To your question - I don't know again sorry.
          I know it is not much help but the only info I have other then that is that she wanted to work as a missionaer in Canada.
          Regards - Erik
          Last edited by Guest; 25-05-12, 23:29.

Comment

Erik,
            You're welcome here. The membership spans the globe - at least English-speaking parts of the world . It is an excellent site for UK help, however.

My ancestry.com sub is inactive right now, but others may be able to look at emigration records for you. Unfortunately, Canada has not released any census date from the 1920s or later.

Could you list her parents' names? Did she come alone or did she have a companion? Was she ever married that you know of? Her surname was Andersen (not Gudrun Andersen, for example)?

Sarah
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 26-05-12, 06:45.

Comment

Hi Erik,

Do you know when Edith was in Scotland? Probably not as early as the 1911 census as I couldn't find trace of her then. Did she live and work there, or was she just in transit to Canada?

Edit : No, I think she was passing through with her husband and daughters.
              Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 26-05-12, 09:39.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

So this is her and her family leaving Glasgow:

Name: Edith ANDERSEN

Date of departure: 27 September 1923
                Port of departure: Glasgow
                Destination port: Quebec
                Destination country: Canada
                Date of Birth: 1899 (calculated from age)
                Marital Status: Married

Sex: Female
                Notes: Passenger recorded on: Page 6 of 13
                The following travelled with her:
                Berta Andersen
                Brita Andersen
                Karl Andersen

Ship: CASSANDRA
                Official Number: 124130
                Master's name: W E Mitchell
                Steamship Line: Anchor-Donaldson Line
                Where bound: Montreal, Canada Square feet: 9149
                Registered tonnage: 5220
                Passengers on voyage: 420

Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 26-05-12, 09:29.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

So she was married when she travelled.

What was her maiden name (her surname before she married)?
                  Do you have her marriage details?
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

Karl Andersen was her husband aged 28
                    Berta and Brita were 2, so they were twins.

Edit: In fact the transcription is wrong. If you look at the image it gives the ages:

Berta 2
                    Brita 8/12 so 8 months

It also says they were from SWEDEN.
                    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 26-05-12, 10:09.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Hallo Canada.
                      I hope this site can help me to find Edith Gudrun Andersen born in Copenhagen may 6 1899. She should have come to Canada in 1923 from Glasgow in Scotland.
                      As far as I know she wanted to do missionaer work in Canada.
                      That is all I know, now the question is can you help me to get further information about her life?

Kind regards Erik - from Copenhagen
                      Hi again Erik, How do you know this? You say "she should have come" so were you told this by someone else?

I'm worried that the family I have found isn't anything to do with the person you are searching for.

You are looking for a lady from Denmark.
                      It seems the family I found was from Sweden.

I don't want to give you information you think is correct but is for a different person.
                      Is she connected to your family, and if so what more do you know? Anything would help.
                      Elizabeth
                      Research Interests:

Comment

The image for the family I found also says they arrived in the UK in NEWCASTLE, so we need to find incoming passengers lists for NEWCASTLE about the same time.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                          Karl Andersen was her husband aged 28
                          Berta and Brita were 2, so they were twins.

Edit: In fact the transcription is wrong. If you look at the image it gives the ages:

Berta 2
                          Brita 8/12 so 8 months

It also says they were from SWEDEN.

Hi to all of you.
                          Untill now thanks for all your help :-)
                          Here is all the fact that I know:
                          Her full name is Edith Gudrun Andersen and she was born june 5 1899 in Copenhagen her fathers name Carl Christian Viggo Andersen and mothers name Caroline Marie Frederikke Dreir.
                          The last fact record I have with her is from 1916 here in Copenhagen - and after that nothing.
                          If she was married or not I would not know.
                          The reasen why I know she immigrated is that I still have living family members that's remember her. They have told me they used to get present under the 2. Worldwar from her with all kinds of god stuf. They have also told me that outside on this present she was sending home there was a fragile mark in english and USA or Canadian stamps.
                          About her immigration I don't have any fact at all. Only that she ended up in a english spoken country and that she wanted to work as a missionaer.
                          The year 1923 I got that from our similar website her in Copenhagen but they are not sure about the year - only it could have been. But of course I prefer fact when I do this work.
                          I'm sorry that I have so few fact in all this - but can you use this info?
                          Kind regards Erik
                          Last edited by Guest; 26-05-12, 11:57.

Comment

Erik, from what you told me I think we can discount the emigration from Scotland in 1923 to Canada and start again. The family I found isn't your Edith Andersen but another family altogether.

So we don't know when Edith emigrated or where to exactly. I don't know what route a person would take emigrating from Denmark.

If you have living family members who remember her you need to ask them again when she was last in Denmark.
                            I think it might be quite difficult for us in the UK to find her.

You say you have a record of her in Denmark in 1916. Is this an official record or a family wedding or something similar?

I don't know anything about Danish records, so someone else would have to help you try to find her in Denmark after this. Are there any passenger lists for people leaving Denmark?
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

Hi Elisabeth.
                              Of course you are right.
                              I think I have to small real facts to go on this way, so let us stop here. Otherwise you will end up doing a lot of work and maybe finding the wrong person - all based on not enoug info. Sorry about that.
                              Now I will go back and talk to the family or at least find new info about this hole matter in the danish record.
                              But anyway thanks for all your help until now and please let me know if you some day need help here in Denmark. I do know my way around in the danish arcivs and records.
                              Regards Erik :-)

Comment

Erik, there is no need to apologise. I enjoy researching and helping and I'm just sorry I couldn't find any more information for you. If you want any more help please post again. There are lots of people on this site willing and able to assist.

Good luck in your research and we hope you will keep using this site.
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

Thank's Elisabeth.
                                  I will still visit your site from time to time and probably or maybe some day return with some facts :-)
                                  But now it's saturday and all the arcivs are closed so I will have to wait and instead enjoy the god weather here :-)
                                  Erik
                                  Last edited by Guest; 26-05-12, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post

Hi Heather.
                                    Is it possible that you can get me some kind of a copy of this record for a dead woman in Vancouver 1969? It could be off interest for my - Erik

Comment

The 1969 death in Vancouver was for Edith Margarethe Andersen, so probably not your Edith. The only Edith Gudren I can find in the BC indices is Edith Gudren Luff who died in 1974, aged 75, so could perhaps be yours if she was married. I can't remember if the death certificates at that time gave parents names (earlier ones certainly did), but I can check for you at the library next weekend, if you like. It's a long shot but am happy to look it up.

Jenny

Comment

Hallo jenoco.
                                        Thanks for all the work you have put into it but no - please don't do anything more about this right now. I think it will be waste of time for you because the lack of information I have about here.
                                        The woman you have found for 1969 is - as you know - not the right one and secondly: I will need to go back to the archive here in Denmark and get further information about her before I continue this way. Since I last wrote here I actually got an idea where to find it.
                                        But of course I'm glad for your respons and I hope it will be ok if I can use your help at some other time :-)
                                        Have a nice weekend - Erik
                                        Last edited by Guest; 27-05-12, 01:40.

Comment

Working...
                                        X