Drat this abbreviation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drat this abbreviation

on Ancestry found a matching contact oh good I thought she has the death I'm looking for so clicked on it and it says B41877 so there I am looking in the Dec quarter of 1877 trying to find him but nothing ,then I twig she means before 1877 uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggghhhhhhh

Sorry Val but that's made me laugh

Linda

Comment

snot funny ;Dactually I burst out laughing when I realised , at least its better than the ones that say Dead .

Comment

pmsl Val!!!! that made me LOL...
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

glad it made you laugh Julie, its a first for me ,its bad enough when you get somebody born around 1850 and instead of giving the year they died they just put Dead??? I would hope so.
          Last edited by Guest; 24-05-12, 21:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
            glad it made you laugh Julie, its a first for me ,its bad enough when you get somebody born around 1850 and instead of giving the year they died they just put Dead??? I would hope so.
            admittedly though I do put in a date if i know it, if I dont then I leave it blank...
            Julie

Comment

Text speak is invading all aspects of life.
              There perfectly acceptable abbreviations bef. (before), aft. (after), cir. (circa) or even abt (about), why complicate matters.

I much prefer some information rather than a blank. At least then one has a point to limit intial searches for the event.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                Text speak is invading all aspects of life.
                There perfectly acceptable abbreviations bef. (before), aft. (after), cir. (circa) or even abt (about), why complicate matters.

I much prefer some information rather than a blank. At least then one has a point to limit intial searches for the event.
                Cheers
                Guy
                I do use the acceptable abbreviation where applicable, and if I know that someone was deceased by a certain date then I would put bef. 1878. I do like to explore and add the BMDs to all my branches and twiglets, as well as the census refs if I can find them.

maybe that the reason that [some] people complicate by adding other abbreviations is that they are unaware of the protcol?
                Julie

Comment

I cannot see how in most instances people know if somebody died before a certain date ?? as has been proved time and time again.This one for instance ,somebody has him in their Tree died 1870 in Pancras yet I cannot find it ?
                  I would rather leave it blank so people dont assume I'm right.

Comment

what's worse is when you have a date, but no place......

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                      I cannot see how in most instances people know if somebody died before a certain date ?? as has been proved time and time again.This one for instance ,somebody has him in their Tree died 1870 in Pancras yet I cannot find it ?
                      I would rather leave it blank so people dont assume I'm right.
                      I guess that if you have them on census and then you cant find them, then, the spouse re-marries that way you could narrow the DOD down a heck of a lot. I have done this in my tree, though I now do have a dilemma, there are a few with the same name that died in the same area/same year. (sods law!!)..
                      Julie

Comment

I have so many that remarried whether the first spouse was dead or not, that dont always work with me

Comment

Well if a person is named on a gravestone as being buried in the grave it marks it can be safely assumed the person died before the gravestone was erected, even if a date of death is not shown. ;))

One may also assume that a person is born before their baptism therefore a birth date before the baptism date is a safe bet.
                          If the age of a person is only known from various census then the use of cir. can be helpful as it means approximately.
                          If a date is given for a divorce then obviously a marriage occurred before that date.

Such pointers are of course only clues as to the time period to base or start a search and should never be taken as accurate dates.
                          Cheers
                          Guy
                          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

quite right Guy ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X