Advice on Place of Birth and Entry on Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Place of Birth and Entry on Census

Hi, was wondering if anyone could give advice please. I have an ancestor Charlotte Ball born in 1838 in Bedworth, Warwickshire. I think I may have found her on the 1871 and 1881 census, but her place of birth is recorded as Solihull, Warwickshire. Do you think this could still be the right person? I think Bedworth became part of the Foleshill district but am not sure about Solihull though I don't think its too far away.

Difficult to say! Age is slightly out, but that's not uncommon!
    I would suggest looking for another Charlotte Ball born in Solihull in a previous census.
    In 1871 the Charlotte born Solihull seems to be living with an aunt, also Charlotte Ball. Can you trace Charlotte senior back to see if she fits into your family?
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, will try and find a Charlotte born in Solihull on an earlier census. As to the Aunt, I will try and find her with her husband as Ball is her married name. Trouble is Charlotte's father was born out of wedlock and took his mother's name, maybe she had other children - off to do some digging!

Comment

Personally I think it's a bit unlikely to be the right person - Solihull isn't the nearest town to Bedworth by any means.

Comment

Are you sure she was born 1838. She was aged 5 in 1841 and 15 in 1851. Update - sorry, my mistake I was looking at the wrong Charlotte here.

I can understand a servant living in Solihull (in 1861) might have been put down as born there if the employer filled in the info and didn't check, but aging only 3 years between 51 and 61 seems odd, surely the employer would have known the difference between a 23 year old and an 18 year old. I think the girl in 1861 is more likely to be the one who is on 1851 census as Sharlotte Ball aged 8 born and living in Bickenhill, Warwickshie which is near to Solihull.
          Last edited by JudithM; 23-05-12, 09:00.
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
            Are you sure she was born 1838. She was aged 5 in 1841 and 15 in 1851.
            I can understand a servant living in Solihull (in 1861) might have been put down as born there if the employer filled in the info and didn't check, but aging only 3 years between 51 and 61 seems odd, surely the employer would have known the difference between a 25 year old and an 18 year old. I think the girl in 1861 is more likely to be the one who is on 1851 census as Sharlotte Ball aged 8 born and living in Bickenhill, Warwickshie which is near to Solihull.
            I think you are right and this is the wrong Charlotte. I wonder what happened to my Charlotte? I have found her baptism record which records a birth date of 21 Dec 1838. On the 1841 census she is 3 years old. I thought I had her on the 1861 census as a servant but her place of birth is put down as Bickenhill so this may not be the right person.

Comment

Working...
            X