Incumbent.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incumbent.

If a Minister is the incumbent of a parish, is that a Title or is he just letting you know he's there for life?

Not a title, ie you wouldn't refer to or address him as incumbent. It means he holds the living -as rector or vicar -ie he has the spiritual responsibility for the benefice. (not there for life nowadays, the 1968 pastoral measure means he has to retire eventually)
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for your response Judith; I often wonder why they dont quote their title of the parish.

Comment

You might refer to a parish and then ask "Who is the incumbent?".

I might remark of the place where I was married that my father was the incumbent at the time.

Christine
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 22-05-12, 15:35.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

A bit late with my 'Thank You,' Christine.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanC View Post
            A bit late with my 'Thank You,' Christine.
            No problem, Alan. I'm in and out of the site at the moment. Because there have been some hiccups with the smooth running, I've tended to drift off and succumb to the temptations of the Plymouth & W Devon records appearing on FMP. A chunk of my husband's family is from that area, and there are some interesting records - including images.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
            X