Deciphering help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering help please

Can anybody have a go a t deciphering the following image, which is the next of kin documents for a John Edwin Barnes. Have attached two pics of the same image.

I think first line says:

Father Harry 66, Hansworth St, Canning Town Essex

second line:

elder bro Harry pte? east sussex reg?

the rest can make out the odd word but not sure.

thanks as ever for your help.
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Barnes John Edwin WO96-0755-240-004-BARNES_JOHN.jpg

Comment

Paul, is this record on Ancestry - if so can you give the link to the record.
      It will be much easier to view on there (if it's available) as you can increase the size of the image.
      Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,
        The records are on ancestry but my subscription ended about two weeks ago so i am unable to view them again currently, the only images i have are the copies here until i renew my subscription.

Comment

I can't see it under John Edwin Barnes, and there are too many John Barnes to look through.
          What is his year of birth and which regiment was he in - or is there a regimental number on the documents you have?
          Elaine

Comment

John Edwin Barnes served as a Private in the First World War in the Essex Regiment, 1st Battalion, serial number 8987. He was killed in action in Gallipoli, Turkey on 25 April 1915 and he is remembered on The Helles Memorial, Turkey. He was awarded the Victory Medal, The British Medal, The Star Medal and The Memorial Plaque. He is listed as going from the 2nd Battalion, then at the Curragh Camp, to join the 1st Battalion in the Regimental Magazine of April 1911. He then appears in the 1911 Census at Quetta with C Company of the 1st Bn as a single Private* soldier aged 22. He landed at Gallipoli on the first day of the landing, thereby earning the 1914-15 Star, on which day he was killed.

he was born 17 Mar 1890 at 49, Benledi Street, Bromley, Poplar, London

thanks Elaine

Comment

Well, I can't see them on Ancestry!
              I'll send you a PM.
              Elaine

Comment

Must admit I've only found his medal card.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Looking at the blown up version I think it says:

Father Harry 66 Hansworth St. Canning Town Essex
                  Elder Bros Harry Pte East Surrey Regt, Walter .................
                  Jnr Bros Arthur and Edward Sisters Martha & Ethel, all with father

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 20-05-12, 16:24.

Comment

They are not on Ancestry but FMP as I have found them. After Walter it looks like ? St ?? Essex

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 20-05-12, 16:30.

Comment

Father Henry 66 Hansworth St. Canning Town Essex

Thanks everyone for your help. Janet the transcription you have is pretty much what i have and the siblings all match the only difference i had was East Sussex Regiment?? but not sure which is correct
                      Janet

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                      Looking at the blown up version I think it says:

Father Henry 66 Hansworth St. Canning Town Essex

Thanks everyone for your help. Janet the transcription you have is pretty much what i have and the siblings all match the only difference i had was East Sussex Regiment?? but not sure which is correct
                      Janet

Comment

Hm have had another look. Initially I thought it was Sussex but then changed my mind to Surrey. Tricky, see if you can find Walter on an earlier census or Free BMD to establish his date and place of birth and then see if you can find Walter on the 1911 Census with maybe the same address?? Maybe look for Walter's army papers?

Janet

Comment

Will do Janet should be able to tie it together hopefully and then look for the army details thanks agin for your help

Comment

Correction. I think I am getting confused! It is Harry who is in the army either East Sussex or East Surrey, not Walter! So it is Harry's details you need to look for. Mind you if it was me I would be looking for both of them on census and army. If you know Walter's birth date you can find him on the census as well hopefully!

Janet

Comment

Working...
                            X