Southall family + help with Canadian research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southall family + help with Canadian research

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am now looking up my mother's family and would love to know if anyone is connected with the Southall family from Selly Oak, Worcestershire. My grandmother was Mercy Southall before she married my grandad. In the 1901 census her father was Joseph Southall and her mother was Annie. She had 3 brothers Edward in 1901 was 20, Ernest was 12 and Joseph was 9.
    My grandmother, Mercy was 18. Joseph went to stay with Mercy and family near Leeds and then in the 1920's emigrated to Canada. I think he lived in Edmonton as I remember my mother writing to her uncle Joe after the war. I, unfortrunately cannoth find any record of him in Canada. I have tried to contact the Immigration people in Canada but I have been told they couldn't help me. If there is anyone who had any information on the rest of the family I would be grateful
    Margaret Parrish

Margaret, have moved your thread from General to here. Hopefully someone might be able to help with the Canadian side of your research.
    Elaine

Comment

Is this your Joseph in 1911

Joseph Henry Southall
      Age in 1911: 19
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
      Relation to Head: Visitor
      Birth Place: Birmingham, Warwickshire, England
      Civil parish: Hunslet
      County/Island: Yorkshire-West Riding

And on the shipping list top Canada

Joseph H SOUTHALL

Date of departure: 6 May 1926
      Port of departure: Liverpool
      Passenger destination port: Quebec, Canada
      Passenger destination: Quebec, Canada

Date of Birth: 1890 (calculated from age)
      Sex: Male Occupation: Tube Drawer

Elinda SOUTHALL wife age 31
      Olive SOUTHALL daughter age 6

Ship: MONTROYAL 120940
      Capt Sibbons
      Canadian Pacific.
      Montreal, Canada

Street Address: 31 Balon Rd Hunslet Leeds
      Marital Status: Married
      Registration district: Hunslet

Comment

There's an entry for this Joseph on Ancestry OneWorld Tree http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/owt/pers...x?pid=59367379

born 10 Aug 1890 Birmingham died 28 Oct 1973 California

wife is Elinda Leak born 24 Jan 1893 died 1 April 1955 three children names withheld as private.

Margaret

Comment

You beat me to it Margaret!

I did notice though, that Joseph is listed as 'grandson' on the 1901 census.
          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by margaretparrish View Post
            I wonder if anyone can help me. I am now looking up my mother's family and would love to know if anyone is connected with the Southall family from Selly Oak, Worcestershire. My grandmother was Mercy Southall before she married my grandad. In the 1901 census her father was Joseph Southall and her mother was Annie. She had 3 brothers Edward in 1901 was 20, Ernest was 12 and Joseph was 9.
            My grandmother, Mercy was 18. Joseph went to stay with Mercy and family near Leeds and then in the 1920's emigrated to Canada. I think he lived in Edmonton as I remember my mother writing to her uncle Joe after the war. I, unfortrunately cannoth find any record of him in Canada. I have tried to contact the Immigration people in Canada but I have been told they couldn't help me. If there is anyone who had any information on the rest of the family I would be grateful
            Margaret Parrish

The Joseph on this census is shown as grandson - so is he the one you are looking for? That's the one I have possibly found above.

Margaret

Comment

Oops! cross posted - I only just went back and looked at the image and found the same as you.

Margaret

Comment

I think we need more specific information about names and dates of birth before we can go any further on this as there are a couple of Southall families running parallel in the area, all with the same/similar names.
                The tree on ancestry may have got them muddled too!
                Margaret

Comment

The marriage for Joseph shown above with wife Elinda is in West Yorks and is here http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=19888625 shows Joseph's father as Joseph occupation Iron founder and one of the witnesses is Ernest Southall.

Margaret

Comment

Margaret, what was Mercy's married name ?
                    Doreen
                    Last edited by dreen22; 21-05-12, 06:22.

Comment

Originally posted by dreen22 View Post
                      Margaret, what was Mercy's married name ?
                      Doreen
                      I don't know - I didn't look that up.

Margaret

Comment

Right found Mercy in 1911 RG14; Piece: 27171.

Thomas Coley 34 head
                        Mercy Coley 28 wife b Dudley Worcs
                        Edward Cyril Coley 3 son
                        Frances Constance Coley 2/12 daughter
                        Ernest Thomas Southall 17 nephew b Birmingham

3 Ida View Stourton, Hunslet
                        Last edited by margaretmarch; 21-05-12, 12:42.

Comment

There are 3 other trees on ancestry with this family showing.

Margaret

Comment

Thank you Doreen. Mercy Southall married Thomas Coley and in Dudley (I think) and then went to live with him in Hunslet, Leeds until she died in 1944

Comment

Margaretmarch. Mercy lived at 3 Ida View Stourton, Hunslet until she died in 1944. Joseph Southall also went to live with her and her family for a few years. He was the brother of Mercy.

Comment

I think then that the Joseph I have found on the passenger list is most likely the one you are looking for and the one who is shown on some of the ancestry trees.

If you want to make contact with that branch of the family you will need to make contact with the tree owners. If you don't have access to ancestry send me a private message with your email address and I will pass it on for them to contact you direct.

To send a private message (PM) click on my name on the left of the screen and select private message.

Margaret
                                Last edited by margaretmarch; 26-05-12, 07:53. Reason: spelling/typing errors

Comment

I did a search for Joseph Southall on Google (Canada 411) and came up with four J. Southalls currently living in Ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by JLobb View Post
                                    I did a search for Joseph Southall on Google (Canada 411) and came up with four J. Southalls currently living in Ontario.
                                    That sounds promising. I haven't heard yet whether margaretparrish wants me to make contact with the ancestry tree owners on her behalf but maybe one of them is a J Southall in Ontario !!

Margaret

Comment

margaretparrish, you and I are 2nd cousins twice removed. Your maternal grandmother Mercy COLEY nee SOUTHALL (1882-1994) is my 3g aunt. Mercy's parents Joseph SOUTHALL & Ann JEWKES are my 3g grandparents.

Regards your question about Mercy's brother Joseph emigrating to Canada. Mercy's brother Joseph is my gg grandfather. I'm not aware of this Joseph having emigrated to Canada. This Joseph died 10 Nov 1899 at Birmingham, UK.

However my gg grandfather Joseph did have a son Joseph "Joe" Henry SOUTHALL (1890-1973), ie. Mercy's nephew, who relocated to Canada. Joe (1890-1973) became a ward of the State upon the death of his father in 1899. Joe was placed into the Bluecoat School where I was told Joe stayed until aged 14 years. Joe married Elinda LEAK in 1916 at Hunslet, Leeds, UK. Joe & Elinda emigrated to Canada in 1926 aboard "Montcalm". Joe obtained a job at Leonard's Foundry on arrival in Canada. He started as an Orderly at Westminster Veterans Hospital upon its opening in 1928, and around 1940 left Westminster & started at Victoria Hospital, retiring in 1955.

Some of that more detailed information was told to me by Joe's daughters Olive BLACKWELL nee SOUTHALL (1919-2015), who I communicated with during 1996.

Should anybody have an interest in this SOUTHALL family, you're welcome to contact me via phone number removed or emailus email removed
                                      Steven Knowles
                                      Last edited by Jill on the A272; 29-03-22, 20:48. Reason: Contact details removed

Comment

youglobal margaretparrish has not been active here since 2018, I have removed your contact details in line with this forum's policy, but you should be able to send her a personal message

Comment

Working...
                                        X