Not On 1911 Census...Why Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not On 1911 Census...Why Not?

Hello, I have a chap named Hugh Joseph Clarke, born Ardrossan in 1900, he is on the 1901 census, but not on the 1911, anyone have any ideas why this would be ? apart from the obvious, I have checked 1911 census for Ireland and for England.....no sign of him, I would have thought an 11 year old would have been with his mother but he is not, any help appreciated, Regards Del.
    Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

Hi
    There are 2 x Hugh Clark, aged 9 born in Ayr on the 1911 Scottish census. Could one be yours

dave

Comment

Hi Dave, No he was born at Ardrossan in 1900, I have all the info. on him, except where he was on census night in 1911, I just wondered why an 11 year old would not be at home with his mother, unless he was missed off by mistake, Regards Del.
      Last edited by Del 80; 19-05-12, 15:02.
      Researching, Clarke, Calvert, McDowell, McCreadie, Paton and Scott families, Scotland and Ireland, Ayto, Eato, Eatough family, Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire.

Comment

Try using his initials. If he was at school or in hospital he may be entered that way. I got 4 hits for people with the initials H G Clarke using Soundex, age range 9 to 13.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Hello Elizabeth, I have tried that, nothing comes up within right age range, someone suggested a military explanation, I know he joined the Royal Navy at an early age, but surely not at 11 years old?..... Regards Del.

Comment

Could he be with grandparents or an aunt and uncle?
            Joy

Comment

Hello Joy, His only living grand parent was Anne McDowell, he was with her on the 1901 census, in 1911 I think she is in Ireland, with HJC's brother [she is probably mistranscribed as Anne McDOWDALL]...he did have several uncles....one in scotland and the rest in Ireland, so it is possible....but he just does not show up anywhere, Regards Del.

Comment

This may be his Naval Record on the documentsonline website , which you can download for £3-50, but doesn't help with him not being on the 1911 census, I suppose!

Name Clarke, Hugh Joseph
                Official Number: J83705
                Place of Birth: Ardrossan, Ayrshire
                04 May 1900 ADM 188/814
                The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

He may have been aboard a training ship for naughty boys! I personally know someone who was sent to one of these training ships aged 10 because he was deemed to be out of control. He later made a career of the Navy.

OC

Comment

That is one possibility O.C., I thought that being only eleven years old, he would still be at home, I guess in those days they had to grow up fast. Regards Del.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Annswabey, I have his attestation papers, interestingly, before he joined the Royal Navy, in 1917, he was in the Royal Irish Rifles, being discharged in 1915, at that time he would have only been 15 years old, would this have been normal ? Regards Del.
                      Last edited by Del 80; 20-05-12, 11:41.

Comment

One of his papers on Ancestry states that he was discharged "having made a misrepresentation as to age" When he enlisted in Nov 1915 he said he was 18. Not at all unusual for a man (or boy!) to lie about his age.
                        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                          One of his papers on Ancestry states that he was discharged "having made a misrepresentation as to age" When he enlisted in Nov 1915 he said he was 18. Not at all unusual for a man (or boy!) to lie about his age.
                          Very true; my grandfather was born in 1880, he enlisted in 1896 with his age given as 18.
                          Joy

Comment

Annswabey, I had not seen that, but as you say , not at all unusual for those times, my own grandfather did exactly the same thing, Regards Del.

Comment

Working...
                            X