Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BC for someone who was adopted.

Hello

I am asking on behalf of a friend, she has asked me, I don't know the answer but I said 'I know a man that will'.

Her GGmother was adopted.
    How would she find out if to search for the name she was known as or if there would be another BC in her Birth name, and which one to order? She only knows the name she grew up with.

Many thanks

Debbs

There was no formal adoption process until 1927 - before that, everything was just done casually.

Since 1927, when formal adoption came into place, a person is born, has the normal birth certificate, is then legally adopted and their original birth certificate is replaced by an adoption certificate, which (until very recently) served as a birth certificate for all legal purposes.

There is no way that any lay person can connect a birth certificate to an adoption certificate, unless they already know the connection. The adoptee is entitled to see their original birth certificate, after mandatory counselling with a social worker. No one else is.

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 18-05-12, 18:00.

Comment

Many thanks OC.
      So basicllay it is pointless to look for a BC for this person as she only knows the name she grew up with, which we can assume is not the name she was born with. And as the actual person is now dead there is no way of ever knowing?

Oh thats quite sad :(

this was all pre 1927 by the way

Debbss
      Last edited by Debbss; 18-05-12, 19:52. Reason: dates added

Comment

Was she old enough to be on the 1911 census? Otherwise I'm afraid there isn't much chance of finding her birth identity, unless a family member knows something.

OC

Comment

Just to be clear in case anyone else reads this - the original birth certificate never goes awasy, it remains in the records and anyone can get a copy of it.

If a legal adoption took place (after 1926) the birth certificate will be marked "adopted". There is no clue on the birth certificate to lead to the new identity granted by legal adoption.

(Exceptions are "mother's own" adoptions, where a woman and her new husband adopt the woman's child - the child obviously remains with its birth mother so its new identity is very much like the old one!)

Only the Registrar General can link a birth certificate to an adoption certificate and he will only do this after certain legal procedures have been carried out (mandatory counselling for those adopted pre 1975). Otherwise, adoption is a closed book.

OC

Comment

No unfortunately we think she was born circa 1916.

Your info has gone into my resource folder as I'm sure it will prove helpful in the future

Many thanks

Debbs

Comment

For what it's worth - in my (limited) experience - as it's before 1927 - it depends on whether the name the "adopted" child was brought up with was similar - or not to their birth name.

My mother (born 1923) was the only 'natural' child of her parents who married in 1914 - two elder sisters were "adopted" - the eldest born 1915 was I believe from outside the family - I have never been able to trace her birth - but the second - born in 1919 was actually a maternal cousin of my mother - her parents had died in 1921 and 1922 and the three young orphaned children had been "divided up" amongst relatives - but while to all intents she was considered within the family as my mother's sister - she married under her birth surname.

Looking at a friend's family - her grandfather (b. illegitimate in 1899) was always known as H**** A******* S****G******* - it was easy to find his birth reg as H.A.S. (not that it gave us any clues) - but the connection with G****** (whilst we can follow it through) remains a mystery

Comment

Working...
              X