Why a catholic baptism aged 18?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a catholic baptism aged 18?

On looking for my 1st cousin twice removed today I first discovered her with her mother and her second husband in Liverpool. Isabella Underwood was born in 1866 in Middlesex.

Trying to trace her further I cannot find her mother or the second husband BUT I did find this:

Name: Isabella Underwood
    Mother: Emiliae Lambard
    Father: Arthuris Underwood
    Birth: 31 Mar 1866
    Baptism: 7 Nov 1884 - Sacred Heart

Her mother was Emily Lambert and her father Arthur underwood, so am sure that it her BUT why was she baptised aged 18 in the catholic faith? Was she due to marry a catholic? If so I cannot find a catholic marriage for her.

thoughts greatly appreciated
    KAREN xx

Name: Isabel Underwood
    Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1886
    Registration district: West Derby
    Inferred County: Lancashire
    Volume Number: 8b
    Page Number: 865

I think this is the marriage ref for her as the other Isobel went on to marry someone called O'Connell
    KAREN xx

Comment

We crossed posted Elaine, no that Isobel is not mine, my Isobels father was Arthur. Think I have found the marriage above that I posted but unfortunately it is not transcribed! Will have to do a process of elimination with the two possible grooms!!
      KAREN xx

Comment

Sorry, deleted my post as I realised it was not right!
        Elaine

Comment

mmmm Grooms on the page were James Finn and harry Rankin, cannot find a Isobel Finn b1866 Middx living in Liverpool with either of those names! Friend coming for coffee in 10 minutes, just as well as head hurts!!
          KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            Sorry, deleted my post as I realised it was not right!
            No worries elaine, I appreciate you trying to help, think this is another little mystery to be put on the pile!!
            KAREN xx

Comment

There are two possible marriages on Lancsbmd

Isabel Undetwood to Henry D Rankin 1886 West Derby Lpool RO or Registrar attended (often indicates a RC marriage)

OR

Isabella Underwood to Cornelius O'Connor 1887 Liverpool All Saints

OC

Comment

Thanks very much OC would definately be the top one as the one underneath I know to have a father James.
                KAREN xx

Comment

Only Isobel/Isobella Rankin/Henry rankin I can find on the 1891 are in Scotland, and it says she was born in Scotland. Obviously though this could be an error! Oh well never mind at least i know who she married and that will have to do for now. Am also assuming that as OC found the transcription on lancsbmd and looks likely to have been a RC marriage is why she was baptised as catholic at age 18.
                  KAREN xx

Comment

Not necessarily a marriage. Plenty of people have always become and still do convert to the Catholic faith for many reasons. We are always having adult baptisms in our church.

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 18-05-12, 21:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                      Not necessarily a marriage. Plenty of people have always become and still do convert to the Catholic faith for many reasons. We are always having adult baptisms in our church.

Janet
                      Thanks for that Janet, I suppose I will never know, this is why I hate sometimes finding out stuff like this as you cannot go back and ask them! LOL
                      KAREN xx

Comment

agreed fuzzy. my 2nd great grandmother was baptised age 17. no idea why, and she was illegitimate, thought he baptism has no trace of this. i can't find her brother's, which would be useful!!

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                          agreed fuzzy. my 2nd great grandmother was baptised age 17. no idea why, and she was illegitimate, thought he baptism has no trace of this. i can't find her brother's, which would be useful!!
                          LOL Kyle, it is always the stuff which would be useful to us that proves to be elusive, I sometimes wonder why I started all this!!
                          KAREN xx

Comment

oh me too. but i love a good mystery haha, must be like my gran, she's such a busybody!

Comment

Working...
                            X