Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Murphy

Hi
    Am trying to trace back Mary Murphy born Manchester Lancashire 1865.
    father Michael,
    mother Mary.

according to Marys marriage cert (she married William Cunningham) in 1887 in Hulme, Manchester.
    her father Michael was deceased. He was a bricklayer.

the witnesses to the marriage were Margaret Cunningham (Williams sister) and a James Murphy.

On the 1871 Mary (mother) states she is a widow. yet I can only find a death for Michael in 1875 Manchester.

I have all the information on the Cunningham side thank you.

all help and / or suggestions would be most welcome.

thanks in advance,

Jan x

The Murphys originate from Ireland, but no idea which part. They were not Catholic.

if they were not catholic, they may have come from northern ireland. have you looked on lancsopc for your family? it's possible i guess michael went back to ireland, and died there?

Comment

thanks Kylejustin

with a name like Murphy and coming from Ireland is a nightmare to research lol.

Comment

Janet

There are loads of deaths of Michael Murphy in the Manchester area - how do you know how old he was?

OC

Comment

How about this one:-

Deaths Sep 1867 (>99%)

Murphy Michael 43 Manchester 8d 226
          Glen

Comment

Murphy is the most prolific name you can find from Ireland, it even surpasses O'Neill!! It is mainly a South of Ireland name and Cork and Wexford are the two counties wth the most Murphys. Your immediate ancestors may not be Catholics, but you can be sure that going back to the early 1800's they will be Catholics. Murphy or O'Murphy is very Irish Catholic.

Janet

Comment

Rubbish deleted - sorry!

OC
              Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 19-05-12, 11:40.

Comment

thanks guys,
                will check it all out. perhaps it might have been a good idea to have left the Irish side alone

Comment

Do you actually have the mariage cert because there were TWO churches in Hulme, both called Holy Trinity, one C of E, the other RC. The RC one was destroyed in WW2.

OC

Comment

have managed to find a lot more info on this family.

I didnt notice on the 1871 that next door were a family called Kearns with a mother in law Murphy. doh silly me.
                    turns out the mother in law is the mother of Michael and his sister Ellen who married Kearns in St. Wilfrids R C Church Manchester.
                    Ellen must have become a Catholic.

it gets even better .......

the Murphys were from Co Waterford and the Kearns Co Wexford.

thanks peeps. got lots to go on now.

cheers,
                    Jan x

Comment

have managed to find a lot more info on this family.

I didnt notice on the 1871 that next door were a family called Kearns with a mother in law Murphy. doh silly me.
                      turns out the mother in law is the mother of Michael and his sister Ellen who married Kearns in St. Wilfrids R C Church Manchester.
                      Ellen must have become a Catholic.

it gets even better .......

the Murphys were from Co Waterford and the Kearns Co Wexford.

thanks peeps. got lots to go on now.

cheers,
                      Jan x

Comment

I very nearly added Waterford to my earlier list of Cork and Wexford! Waterford is the one in between the previous two!! My OH has Murphys from Wexford, loads of them!

Janet
                        Last edited by Janet; 19-05-12, 19:43.

Comment

Hi Janet

it was only by chance chatting to someone on another forum, that I was told of the Murphy mother in law lol.
                          Then by checking a disc I had for St. Wilfrids Catholic church Manchester I discovered that one of the Murphys had
                          married a Catholic........... fortunately it gives the place of birth of both fathers, so hence my new trail to Waterford
                          and Wexford.

Comment

Janet (H)

Did you see my post 9#? I'm not sure why you think this family wasn't RC, as there is more evidence that they were than they weren't!

OC

Comment

Hi OC
                              the lady who I am researching for is the granddaughter of Mary Murphy 1865 and she has told me they were not Catholic, in fact Mary Murphy went mad
                              when one of her daughters children married a Catholic lol
                              Jan x

Comment

Working...
                              X