Where is John Murray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is John Murray

Having found my great grand uncle John Murray b1870 St Giles middx and his wife Norah Murray b1873 Marylebone with their daughter Margaret b1901 Marylebone on the 1901 census. I skip forward to the 1911 census. I find Margaret Murray at the st Josephs school for roman catholic girls, listed as a boarder.

Norah Murray is listed in the workhouse? and John no-where to be found. I did find a John Murray in prison but it states labourer and he is a electric wireman on the 1901 (I suppose he could have fallen on hard times in ten years and that is why he was labouring) What doesn't make sense to me is that if this is indeed my Margaret, what is she doing at boarding school whilst her mother is in the workhouse and possibly a father in prison!!

I think probably only Margaret is mine and the other two are red herrings...............If this is the case though where are her parents?

Second thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    KAREN xx

Oh er!!!

i have just googled and it looks like this school was a school for paupers children in victorian times! SO if Norah was in the workhouse and John is in prison that would explain everything!! MAYBE!! When was anything that easy!!
    KAREN xx

Comment

find out where the school records are kept, and if you can access them. rupert everett had an ancestor in a boarding school, and the records were quite detailed on the fate of the parents as known at the time.

Comment

Is this the 1911 you were looking at for Norah?

If that is your Norah it has the boxes filled in for marriage and number of children - does that match what you know?
        Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          find out where the school records are kept, and if you can access them. rupert everett had an ancestor in a boarding school, and the records were quite detailed on the fate of the parents as known at the time.
          Ancestry has some school records for Hammersmith & Fulham (presumably from LMA sources) but St Joseph's isn't amongst them. It's possible, I guess, that they might appear in an update. Alternatively, they're in RC records somewhere.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks Kyle, will get googling again!!
            KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Ancestry has some school records for Hammersmith & Fulham (presumably from LMA sources) but St Joseph's isn't amongst them. It's possible, I guess, that they might appear in an update. Alternatively, they're in RC records somewhere.

Christine
              Thanks for that Christine, I do know that the family were roman catholics so it makes sense that she was sent there. I am sure now that it is her mother in the workhouse, I just have to try and eliminate all other john Murrays b1870 to be sure that the one in prison is mine! I am pretty sure that he is though as the place of birth is accurate and the only other one i can see at the moment born about the same time and place appears on the 1911 census with a wife Elizabeth...........unless of course Val...............this is my first bigamist LOL
              KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                Is this the 1911 you were looking at for Norah?

If that is your Norah it has the boxes filled in for marriage and number of children - does that match what you know?
                Hi Jackie, yes that is her, age about right, place of birth spot on. length of marriage out by couple of years. children are a problem as they marry late 1800's I pick them up on the 1901 with one child Margaret and then when looking at the 1911 cannot find them together, only Margaret b1901 and she appears to be the only Margaret Murray on the 1911 in the London area...........Unless of course they have all emigrated and none of them are mine!!!!!!!!
                KAREN xx

Comment

OK, so going backwards, there is only one Norah Murray on the 1901 census born in Marylebone and she is mine:

this is the family on the 1901
                  KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                  X