Census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census

Hi I am new to this forum and this is my first attempt at making a family tree. I live in South Wales and when researching past family members I cannot find any Censors for Wales can anyone help me, am I doing something wrong or are there some other records I should be looking at.
    I am using FAMILY TREE MAKER 2011

Hi William and welcome to FTF
    I think you might get the best help by posting a message on the Family History Research section of FTF. If you give some details of who you are looking for and ask how and where to find them on the census etc people will be pleased to help you. Don't post names of living family but ,if you have already got the marriage/births certificates etc or solid information of your immediate family, it should be possible to find their ancestors.
    If you are using Family Tree Maker did you get free access for a time to Ancestry? As this is where you will find the Wales census along with births/deaths/marriages etc.
    Free BMD is also very useful for births/marriages and deaths - you will find it here - http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Hope this helps and look forward to seeing any of your requests for help on Family History Research
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 17-05-12, 09:51.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

in order to search the census, you need access to familysearch.org, findmypast, or ancestry. your library should have ancestry, so you should be able to use it there. assuminng you have traced your family back enough to be able to use the 1911 census, it is a simple thing to get results. if you need help, ask here!!

Comment

Thank you both for your help I now know where to start

Comment

Welcome to FTF, William.

If you're very new to family tree research, you could do worse than have a look here: http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...etting-Started
          There are lots of useful ideas and links - and a few warnings of what to avoid. Lots of us have fallen into basic traps - you might be able to avoid some of them, at least!

One of the most expensive traps is not realising that you can buy BMD (birth, marriage, death) certificates direct from source, yourself, for only £9.25 (or thereabouts). That means either from the GRO or from the register office local to where the BMD event happened (have a look here: http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/). If you buy via an agent of some kind (many of the genealogy sites offer this "service") you usually end up paying at least three times as much!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine and thank you very much for the info, it appears I put the post in the wrong place can you let me know where I should have put it.

Comment

William, welcome to the forum.
              You originally posted in the Site News forum but one of the moderators moved it to this forum - Family History Research - which is the right forum!

If you need some help then ask away and we will see what we can find for you.
              Do you have access to one of the subscription sites such as Ancestry or Findmypast?
              If you need help finding people in the census, then give us some names and dates, but please remember no details of living people.

I see you said this is your first attempt at your family tree ... be warned, it is very addictive! :D
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine, and thanks for your help.

In answer to your question yes I have access to Ancestry and I have already found how very addictive it is, if I get stuck in the future I will know where to come for help.

Comment

Working...
                X