Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One mystery solved thanks to new baptism records!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One mystery solved thanks to new baptism records!

When I first started doing this I couldn't find the birth reg of either my many times great grandmothers or her brother. According to the 1851 census he was born in 1948 and she in 1850. I spent ages searching and even phoned the GRO and asked them to do a search a year or so either way with the correct father and mother! I later discovered the father re-married on the 1871 with two daughters from his first marriage I didn't know about and they were registered so got the mothers maiden name and therefore was able to trace a marriage.

WELL, yesterday I found the baptisms of the first two, together with their actual dates of birth, they were both born earlier than stated and both born before the couple married. So now I know, another case of having the child baptised and declaring to be a married couple, but not registering the children. Then registering the ones born in the 1860's when they were married.

I know it not much, but I was so pleased to discover why they didn't register the first two and did the last two...........a small victory for the genealogist!!
    KAREN xx

love it when these seemingly small mysteries get solved! hope more are on the way!!

Comment

Thanks so much Kyle, I know it seems irrelevant but I really loved finding out the WHY for a change LOL!!
      KAREN xx

Comment

My nan got married in Jun 1899 but did not register her first child born in May 1899 till after the marriage, I did notice on his death it states date of Birth 10 May 1900 lol

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          My nan got married in Jun 1899 but did not register her first child born in May 1899 till after the marriage, I did notice on his death it states date of Birth 10 May 1900 lol
          Don't you just love em Val, I think they sat and devised ways of making the hobby/addiction of genealogy as mindblowingly difficult as possible!
          KAREN xx

Comment

Best bit is Karen I couldn't find them in 1901 but did know the address of one of the children born in 1901 so found it and there is my Millers calling themselves Lester ? no not a mistrancription but it seems it was his stage name ??? as far as I can tell he only ever sang in Pubs? lol
            So dont take anything for granted.

Comment

Great news Fuzzy another wall down....now to the next one!!

It dawned on me ages ago that our Victorian ancestors were not as prim and proper as they wished to appear. My 3x GGrandmother baptised her last daughter in the church and named her husband as the father, only problem was he died a year before she was born! Lucky she wasn't struck by a bolt of lightening.

Comment

I think there were probably more bigamists in those days too.

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
                  Great news Fuzzy another wall down....now to the next one!!

Absolutely!!

It dawned on me ages ago that our Victorian ancestors were not as prim and proper as they wished to appear. My 3x GGrandmother baptised her last daughter in the church and named her husband as the father, only problem was he died a year before she was born! Lucky she wasn't struck by a bolt of lightening.
                  That is brilliant Frazzled!!
                  KAREN xx

Comment

Best bit is Karen I couldn't find them in 1901 but did know the address of one of the children born in 1901 so found it and there is my Millers calling themselves Lester ? no not a mistrancription but it seems it was his stage name ??? as far as I can tell he only ever sang in Pubs? lol
                    So dont take anything for granted.
                    I have one similar Val! My McGills who literally got away with murder in 1849 ended up in London where on the 1851 they are all under Fosher which was the name of the lodger, i still don't know whether it was an error by the emunerator or they were still keeping a low profile LOL!! As you say we can never take anything for granted
                    KAREN xx

Comment

I think there were probably more bigamists in those days too.
                      I think divorce was for the rich then eh Val? I have lots of ladies who are "widowed" but then I find the husbands alive and well shacked up with a new family! Have never found a bigamist yet though.
                      KAREN xx

Comment

I have 4 in one family my Great Grandmother her Daughter and a Son, and my Great Great Grandmother ,dont know what it is about my lot??? so common lol:D
                        Bet you will find a few .
                        Last edited by Guest; 16-05-12, 21:44. Reason: cant count

Comment

I have 4 in one family my Great Grandmother her Daughter and a Son, and my Great Great Grandmother ,dont know what it is about my lot??? so common lol:D
                          Bet you will find a few .
                          It will take some going to beat that record Val! That is amazing!!
                          KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                          X