1911 - missing family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 - missing family

Can anyone explain why living relatives would be missing from 1911 Census. My great grandfather and his eldest daughter are not on the 1911 census with the rest of the family and having problems finding them anywhere else. Help and thank you. Pat

Possibly mistranscribed.
    Do you want to give some names and dates so we can have a look for you?
    Elaine

Comment

Yes I have had problems with this census. It was the first census that the indivual had to fill in themselves. I found sometimes mistranscriptions, the use of mr & mrs, first name replaced witrh letter instead.

Comment

Thanks Elaine for your help. My great grandfather's name was Matthew Norris, born 29/9/1866, Wavertree, Liverpool and his eldest daughter was Mary Alice Elizabeth Norris, born 25/2/1893, Formby, Lancashire. His wife Bertha and 5 of the children, including my grandfather, are on the 1911 census living at 27 Devonshire Place, Liverpool. My great grandfather did not die until 1932 (death certficate) and Mary Alice Elizabeth was married in Liverpool in 1912. Apart from having copies of all the census records he is on this is the one that puzzles me.

Comment

Not having much luck with Matthew but have found a Bessie Norris born c1893 Formby living with Edward and Ann Aindow (shown as niece). Does the Aindow name mean anything to you?

RG14; Piece: 22842

Looks as if Edward Aindow married Ann Norris in 1872 ..
          Marriages Dec 1872
          Aindow Edward
          NORRIS Ann
          Liverpool 8b 143
          Elaine

Comment

Yes thanks Elaine, the family is related actually but haven't worked out which part of the family Bessie is related to, there are quite a few Elizabeths which I am assuming one has been shortened to Bessie. Ann Aindow (nee Norris) you have mentioned above is my great grandfather's half sister. Thanks for trying, the daughter Mary Alice becomes more of a mystery as there is no death record that I can find or a remarriage record, the same for one of the other daughters as well. The joy of family research I suppose.

Comment

If Ann was your great grandfather's half sister then his daughter would have been her niece. In view of the age and birthplace I would be investigating the possibility that Bessie was in fact your Mary Alice Elizabeth.
              Last edited by JudithM; 19-05-12, 07:44.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I can see an 18yo Bertha living with her [maiden] aunts Elizabeth, Margaret and Phoebe Norris in Rock Street. Liverpool, West Derby, Eastern, 36, p. 67 (I think). Says b. Liverpool, but that could just be because everyone else on the page is "born Liverpool".

Which is the other child you're missing?

I can't find Matthew either. Could he be away at sea, perhaps?

STG
                Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks JudithM, tried all her names separately but never thought about the 'Elizabeth' and 'Bessie' being one and the same, it is a good possibility she could be my Mary Alice Elizabeth as there is no other Elizabeth/Bessie in the family for that year and place. Just need to find her dad Matthew now.

Comment

Don't think Matthew would have been at sea as he was either a Farmer or some type of Porter/Warehouseman, jobs varied on his children birth certificates and marriage certificates. Not missing another child on the 1911 Census, Mary Alice Elizabeth and May Pauline Isabel disappear once they are married. Have got death certificates for their husbands but no trace of the girls. Mary Alice married a Maratty and May Pauline a Kitchingman.

Comment

Working...
                    X