Census lookups for Burgess in Glos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census lookups for Burgess in Glos.

Could someone please do 3 looks ups for this Burgess family all from around Cheltenham/Charlton Kings area, Glos. (tho apparently one Burgess had apparently moved to Middlesex in 1901, could have gone back to Glos. tho)

1891 Census for Laura Ann (Burgess) now Laura Ann Smith b. abt 1845, Charlton Kings, Glos. & Robert Thomas Smith b. abt 1851
    Address in 1881 was Coxhorn Farm which could be in Cheltenham or Charlton Kings

Some of her children
    Robert C could be 17, William H could be 15, Kate b (10), Thomas Jas 8) Edith F 6

Laura & Robert were deceased by 1901
    --------------------------
    1891 Census for James Ward Burgess, nurseryman - he was living in Bramery Cottage, Charlton Kings (born at Charlton Kings) 1858 in the 1881 Census. Unmarried and not living with family as far as I know. James Ward Burgess died in 1893 - same address.

--------------------------

1911 Census for Henry Burgess (52yo in 1901), b 1856 - and living in 21 Eckleston Road, Parish of Ealing Middlesex in 1901, although prior to that, from birth, he was living in Cheltenham, or Charlton Kings, Glos. He also was a nurseryman/gardener. No death date tho.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Just to let you know that Coxhorne Farm is in Charlton Kings, right on the eastern outskirts of Cheltenham. It is still there now, on the A40 heading out of town towards Oxford.
    Helen in Glos

Comment

Here they are in 1891 Class: RG12; Piece: 2046; Folio: 79; Page: 6; GSU roll: 6097156.
      Benhall Farm, Gloucester Road, Cheltenham

Robert T 40 b Cheltenham
      Laura Ann 44 b Charlton Kings
      Robert Chas 17 b Charlton Kings
      William Hy 45 (mistransciption I think should be 15) b Charlton Kings
      Kate B 10 b Charlton Kings
      Thomas Jas 8 b Churchdown
      Edith F 6 b Churchdown
      Helen in Glos

Comment

Thank you so much Helen, and also for letting me know the farm was still there. This family (Burgess) actually owned "The Nursery" (I think it was in London Road) Cheltenham, - I did visit there 1999 but "The Nursery" had long gone.

Comment

1891 for James Ward Burgess. He's with Henry:

1891 Census
          CHELTENHAM, Gloucestershire
          RG12 piece 2041 folio 21 page 35

Address: Bromery Cottage, Rosedale, Charlton Kings

BURGESS, Henry Head Single M 35 1856 Nurseryman Charlton Kings
          BURGESS, Mary Sister Single F 42 1849 Housekeeper Charlton Kings
          BURGESS, James W Brother Single M 33 1858 Nurseryman Charlton Kings
          HUDSON, Elizabeth Sister Married F 52 1839 Imbecile Marylebone

Note the poor sister.
          Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 16-05-12, 06:53.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thank you Elizabeth - finding them altogether - they seemed to stay together most of the time.

Yes, poor Elizabeth - but she did marry, aged about 32 lol. That poor family had a lot of problems.

Wonder what we would class as an imbecile these days (just to put it in perspective)

Comment

Here's James in 1891 RG12; Piece: 2041; Folio: 21; Page: 35; GSU roll: 6097151. Bramory? Cottage, near Charlton Place, Charlton Kings , Holy Apostle parish

Henry Burgess 35
              Mary Burgess 42
              James W Burgess 33
              Elizabeth Hudson 52
              Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-05-12, 07:43.

Comment

Oops! too late.

I expect imbeciles could be anything from a person who was deaf and mute, to someone with mild learning difficulties and all less able people in between.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret,

I'm all up to date now except the last one

1911 Census for Henry Burgess (52yo in 1901), b 1856
                  - and living in 21 Eckleston Road, Parish of Ealing Middlesex in 1901, although prior to that, from birth, he was living in Cheltenham, or Charlton Kings, Glos. He also was a nurseryman/gardener. No death date tho.

Thanks again.

Comment

I'm wondering how she got around to getting married tho Margaret lol

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                      I'm wondering how she got around to getting married tho Margaret lol
                      Well maybe she was a lovely person, kind and helpful and merely couldn't speak - good attribute for a man looking for a wife!! LOL

I'll have a look for that 1911 on now.

Margaret

Comment

Can't see Henry on the 1911 at the moment but will continue looking.

Did see probate for James Ward Burgess who died 1893 - have you got the details?

Margaret

Comment

Re James Ward Burgess -I thought I did have his probate/will, but no - I have the coronial enquiry. He died a terrible death,) - they say self-inflicted, but I think its unbelievable he would kill himself the way he did.

So Henry wasn't anywhere in Glos or Middlesex?

His brother Joseph has been missing since 1851 Census. He must have died soon after. He was born in 1850

Comment

Found him! look at the mistranscription!! RG14PN6886 RG78PN343A RD128 SD4 ED19 SN296

BURGEGS, Henry Head Married 18 years M 51 1860 Carrage Contractor Charton Kings Glos
                            BURGEGS, Frances Elizabeth Wife Married F 47 1864 Haxey Lincolnshire
                            HUDRON, Elizabeth Sister Widow F 72 1839 St Marylebone London

23 Eccleston Rd Ealing
                            Last edited by margaretmarch; 16-05-12, 09:48.

Comment

Originally posted by jood View Post
                              Re James Ward Burgess -I thought I did have his probate/will, but no - I have the coronial enquiry. He died a terrible death,) - they say self-inflicted, but I think its unbelievable he would kill himself the way he did.

So Henry wasn't anywhere in Glos or Middlesex?

His brother Joseph has been missing since 1851 Census. He must have died soon after. He was born in 1850
                              One of mine died by drinking Prussic acid - which must have been a horrendous death.

I can send a copy of the probate index entry if you send me your email by PM.

Margaret

Comment

What site did you find that on Margaret? I think Ancestry need a pat on the back after all the critisicisms we give them. They've got the transcription right but if you look at the original I can understand the problem:D Also, they haven't listed any children born. Didn't they have any?
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yes, a lot of bad transcriptions BURGEGS, Carrage, Charton, Hudron lol Its a wonder you found him.

So that was Henry in 1911? He finally got himself married !! (at 62)

Congratulations Margaret!

Comment

I think this might be Joseph in 1861 RG 9; Piece: 1795; Folio: 7; Page: 7; It's a school in Prestbury - just down the road from Charlton Kings.

Joseph Burgess
                                    Estimated Birth Year: abt 1850
                                    Relation: Pupil
                                    Where born: Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire, England
                                    Civil parish: Prestbury
                                    County/Island: Gloucestershire

There are also what look like 2 brothers there:- Charles age 14 and William age 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                      What site did you find that on Margaret? I think Ancestry need a pat on the back after all the critisicisms we give them. They've got the transcription right but if you look at the original I can understand the problem:D Also, they haven't listed any children born. Didn't they have any?
                                      I did an address search and fortunately they were still at their 1901 address.

No children shown as born.
                                      Margaret

Comment

Here's Joseph in 1871 RG10; Piece: 2659; Folio: 25; Page: 5;

Joseph Burgess
                                        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1850
                                        Relation: Son
                                        Father's Name: Charles Burgess
                                        Mother's Name: Elizabeth Burgess
                                        Where born: Charlton Kings, Gloucestershire, England

Charles Burgess 56
                                        Elizabeth Burgess 58
                                        Elizabeth Burgess 32
                                        Mary Burgess 22
                                        Joseph Burgess 21
                                        William Burgess 19
                                        Henry Burgess 15
                                        James Ward Burgess 13
                                        Emma Bayles 18

Keep meaning to say my great grandmother lived in Charlton Kings around this time so no doubt bought some garden stuff from your relatives. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                        X