Army records info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army records info

If a man was a Sergeant during the 1st World War ,and you knew the Regiment he served in but not the number , and you cannot find his records , would it be possible to write to the Army and get the records ?? with just that info ? or would it be they are missing ? Thanks

Hi Val, I don't if this helps but this site talks about an Absent voters list and how you maybe able to trace him through that:

All about the British Army of the First World War. Find how to research the men and women who served, and stacks of detail about the army organisation, battles, and the battlefields.

1918 Absent Voters List

If all other sources are a dead-end for you, and if your soldier was aged 21 or over and was alive in 1918, it would be worth trying the Absent Voters List for the area in which he had his home address. The AVL usually gives his regiment and number.
    KAREN xx

Comment

ooh thats interesting thanks Karen

Comment

Hope you find him Val, there is a link to the Absent voters link about half way down the page in blue writing
        KAREN xx

Comment

Val, how common/uncommon was his name. I wonder if you could find his regimental number through the Medal Cards. I usually find them easier to search on the National Archives website than Ancestry.
          Elaine

Comment

Thanks Karen , I cannot really put it on here thanks Elaine

Comment

If he only served in WW1 then his records should be on Ancestry if they have survived - nowhere else.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

thanks Annswabey , such a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                  If he only served in WW1 then his records should be on Ancestry if they have survived - nowhere else.
                  Oh what a shame Val, am so sorry to hear that. Had fingers crossed you could find them. I was told that many records for WW1 didn't survive. I feel very fortunate to have found a couple, with hilarious results as you know!!
                  KAREN xx

Comment

we think we have his army number though if its the right medal roll?

Comment

Apparently there were about 60%? of WW! records destroyed in 1940 in a bombing raid - I think they are called the burnt documents. I think some survived but are not so easy to read.

Comment

Yes Pejay shame the ones I want did not survive

Comment

Working...
                        X