London/Middlesex Marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London/Middlesex Marriage

I know of one marriage between a George Joseph Jones and a Mary Ann Hutchins that took place in March 1844, can anyone help please look for any other marriages between a George Jones and a Mary Ann ? possibly taking place in London/Middlesex?

In 1851 they were living St James Clerkenwell, George being 38 born Whitechapel and Mary Ann 30 born Wiltshire.
    As Mary Ann was born in 1821 a marriage would of possibly been from 1839.
    George's occupations were of a waiter or a servant.

Many thanks for help.
    Ewan

Are you looking to prove a maiden name ie Hutchins?

this looks like a baptism of their child:

Name: Ann Rebecca Jones
    Baptism/Christening Date: 08 Jun 1845
    Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT LEONARDS,SHOREDITCH,LONDON,ENGLAND
    Birth Date: 13 May 1845
    Birthplace:
    Death Date:
    Name Note:
    Race:
    Father's Name: George Joseph Jones
    Father's Birthplace:
    Father's Age:
    Mother's Name: Mary Ann
    Mother's Birthplace:
    Mother's Age:
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C04080-7
    System Origin: England-ODM
    Source Film Number: 396240, 396241, 396242
    Reference Number:

Can you tell us a bit more about what you are trying to solve?
    KAREN xx

Comment

The one you have is the only one coming up with the two first names all the rest are just George Jones and there are a number. Given you have these two living in Whitechapel in 1851 the marriage looks right for them.
      As Fuzzy says what is is your are trying to resolve?

Margaret

Comment

This is the link to the baptism on Ancestry:

the address I think says Edmond Street and fathers occupation is Stoker?
        KAREN xx

Comment

Thank you both for your help.

I am looking for a marriage between a George Jones and a Mary Ann ?
          Possibly from 1839 and in London/Middlesex, the occupation of George Jones was a waiter or a servant.

Ewan
          Last edited by ewen; 14-05-12, 20:08.

Comment

gEORGE jOSEPH jONES.JPGThe marriage for him in 1844 states he is a Bachelor ? what makes you think he married somebody else ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              what makes you think he married somebody else ?
              Val, thanks for posting the marriage details of a George Joseph Jones. I do not think that he was married to someone else, this is one record I have of a George Jones marrying a Mary Ann. I am hoping to find anymore marriages of a George Jones and of a Mary Ann ? lurking around to try and establish which one would be the one I am looking for. On the 1851 census there is a George and a Mary Ann Jones, George is a waiter so there is a strong possibility that he is related to me, I am just hoping to find a marriage for this couple to try and further this possibility.
              Ewan

Comment

I think I can see what it is you are trying to find out. the George Joseph Jones who married Mary Ann Hutchins, from the baptism I found looks to have the occupation of a stoker?? Do you have the link to the 1851 census? If there are children with them on that you could find either hopefully a baptism record to narrow down the birth year for the child as sometimes baptisms give actual dates of birth(Jones such a common name) and then send off for the birth certificate of the child which would give you Mary Anns maiden name. Hope that makes sense! Very difficult sometimes when posting as although I think that makes sense sometimes others reading may not! LOL

from 1851 census:

No children!

have you got them on a later census?
                Last edited by Fuzzy; 15-05-12, 12:05. Reason: added text
                KAREN xx

Comment

On the 1851 census he is 38 and she is 30. so leaving it later than the normal to have children. I cannot find them on the 1861. Without a childs birth reg/baptism to look for I am afraid that looking for a george Jones marrying a Mary Ann and hitting the right one will be a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack. One of my cousins has Jones ancestors and she has had a nightmare with them!

Good luck, sorry could not have been more help
                  KAREN xx

Comment

Thanks Fuzzy for your interest, it is a problem when you have Jones as a surname when researching family history. All I have is the 2 lonesomes on the 1851 with no children, not easy, hence the reason for asking for help with looking for a marriage. I am not subscribed to ancestry where they have London records and I was hoping that a marriage would be found from there, and hopefully stating the occupation of the groom.

Ewan

Comment

I just searched 1851 for a George Jones a Waiter and with a wife Mary Ann, and there is only one George Jones who is a Waiter with a wife Mary Ann and that is the one Karen found for you.

Comment

Hi there, the marriage that you found. I have just looked at the marriage record for the couple and his occupation is stoker.
                        ame: George Joseph Jones
                        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
                        Spouse Name: Mary Ann Hutchins
                        Record Type: Marriage
                        Event Date: 25 Mar 1844
                        Parish: Bethnal Green St John
                        Borough: Tower Hamlets
                        Father Name: Joseph Jones
                        Spouse Father Name: William Hutchins
                        Register Type: Parish Register

Will see if there are any other marriages in the london area for that time, but as we said with JONES tis a nightmare!
                        KAREN xx

Comment

Name: George Jones
                          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1825
                          Spouse Name: Mary Ann Francis
                          Spouse Age: 26
                          Record Type: Marriage
                          Event Date: 21 Dec 1853
                          Parish: Plumstead St Nicholas
                          Borough: Greenwich
                          Father Name: John Jones
                          Spouse Father Name: William Francis
                          Register Type: Parish Register

After the 1851, and also he is a smith!

I cannot see any other George Jones marrying a Mary Ann to view on line. she could of course have married just using Mary, which will make it even tougher!
                          KAREN xx

Comment

Thanks for all the interest and ideas again I think I will have to wait until I have ancestry again and then painstakenly go through the marriages including just using the name of Mary withough the Ann. There is the other option that the couple did not marry.

Comment

Originally posted by ewen View Post
                              Thanks for all the interest and ideas again I think I will have to wait until I have ancestry again and then painstakenly go through the marriages including just using the name of Mary withough the Ann. There is the other option that the couple did not marry.
                              LOL ewen, they wouldn't be the first who didn't marry!
                              KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                              X