Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Davis Family photo from Bristol? Date unknown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis Family photo from Bristol? Date unknown.

I've recently had contact from a kind person who has given me this photo below. Any idea of approx year?

His Gt Grandmother was Alice Davis (one of my Grandma's sisters) who married Alber G. Clarke in 1915 in Bristol.

There were 8 Davis siblings altogether. 5 sons and 8 daughters.

We think the photo is of Lydia Davis nee Board and 5 of her daughters. But who are they?

Eliza Mary Davis born 1878, married 1901 to Charles George Osborne. She died 1905
    Sara Jane Davis born 1880, married 1903 to Charles J Slade
    Dora Davis born 1882, married 1915 to Walter John Tanner
    Lydia Davis born 1884, married 1912 to Ernest Herbert Young
    Rose Escott Davis b.1887, died 1907
    Alice Davis born 1889, married 1915
    Beatrice May Davis born 1898 married 1925 to Alfred Edgar Charles Lovelock
    Violet Davis born 1899/1900 married 1926 to Stanley Wilmott Shipp

Anyone recognise their Grandmother in this photo? Perhaps someone else had the same photo and we can establish some sort of link.

Teresa
    Last edited by kathsgirl.48; 16-05-12, 16:56. Reason: Typing error!
    teresa

The little girl with the enormous bow could be Violet, as she seems alot younger than the others....perhaps about 3years old.
    Perhaps she is sitting next to Beatrice ?

Of the 3 girls standing at the back, the one on our right and the girl in the middle seem to have rings on, so probably are married.

Comment

Re. my post above.....about the girls standing that should read the one on our right, but database error won't let me correct it.

Gwyn

Comment

My great-grandmother Alice Clark is on the top far left. She doesn't seem to be wearing a wedding ring, and she was wed to Albert by the age of 25 in 1915. So, I'd hazard a guess to her age as 18.

Comment

I would date the photo - by clothes - between 1904 and the beginning of WW1, although the 1914 bit would depend on how fashionable the girls were.

The girl on the back row left is showing her ankles and lower legs and is therefore a schoolgirl AND the fact she is showing her legs and ankles puts the photo nearer to 1914 (and maybe into WW1). I would say she was maybe Violet born 1900 and therefore the little girl at the front of photo is a grandchild.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            I would date the photo - by clothes - between 1904 and the beginning of WW1, although the 1914 bit would depend on how fashionable the girls were.

The girl on the back row left is showing her ankles and lower legs and is therefore a schoolgirl AND the fact she is showing her legs and ankles puts the photo nearer to 1914 (and maybe into WW1). I would say she was maybe Violet born 1900 and therefore the little girl at the front of photo is a grandchild.

OC
            Thanks OC.

It had crossed my mind that the little girl was a granddaughter too. I will check my files and list the granddaughters that I know of. Perhaps that will help someone to recognise her at least.

Late last night I also came across some spouses of the girls who were enlisted with the Army. I know that one gave his address as his mother-in-laws in Bristol. I will get back and add the details.
            Last edited by kathsgirl.48; 16-05-12, 20:56.
            teresa

Comment

Some more family info.

The mother, Lydia Davis lived at 17 Duke St., Bristol on the 1911 Census until she died, Jul 1923.

Army record. Ernest Herbert Young, husband of Lydia ‘Nelly’ nee Davis

10 Dec 1915 Enlists in the Army and gives his address as 17 Duke St. Bristol.

Declares Wife as Lydia Young of 17 Duke St, Bristol.
              Marriage Particulars. Lydia Davis spinster of 17 Duke St Bristol at St. Barnabas Bristol 14 July 1912
              Child: Dorothy Mary Young born 27 May 1913 Bristol.

11 Dec 1915 Army Reserve
              18 May 1916 Gunner. Posted
              27 May 1916 Gunner. First joined for Duty
              21 Dec 1918 Gunner. Last Posting

02 Feb 1919 ‘Statement as to Disability’.
              Ernest Herbert Young, Reg., No., 826398, Gunner, of 17 Duke St, Bristol.
              Age last birthday: 33 yrs. First Joined: 27 May 1916.
              Declares not to be suffering from a disability due to military service. Place of examination. France. Signed and dated 02 Feb 1919

Eldest sibling William Henry Davis born 1876 died 1903 married Sarah Ann Jones Dec 1897 Bristol. Witnesses: Henry Robert Clake & Eliza Ann Strawbridge.
              They had 1 surviving child. Lilian Dorothy May Davis Born Aug 1901 Bristol.
              His widow then re married to George Thompson.

1911 Census Address: 35 Ambrose Rd, Clifton, Bristol.
              George Thompson, Head, 29 born c 1882, Cheltenham. Stone Mason
              Sarah Ann Thompson, Wife, 32, born c.1879 Bristol
              George Henry Thompson, 2 , born c.1909 Bristol
              Leonard Wilfred Thompson, 3 months born 1911 Bristol
              Lilian Dorthy Davis, stepdaughter, 9 born c.1902 Bristol

Eliza Mary Davis married Charles George Osborne Nov 1901 Bristol
              1 Daughter Grace Evelyn Osborne born Mar 1905 Bristol

Sarah Jane Davis married Charles Joseph Slade Dec 1903
              3 girls and 5 boys all born Bristol.
              Constance 1908, Stella 1911 and Frances Vera 1914. I have a picture of the 5 eldest chuildren and none look like the little girl in the photo.

Sibling, Sidney Davis’ Army records give his home address as 17 Duke St. Bristol Jan 1917. His daughter Audrey Margaret Davis was born at the same address in 1924.
              teresa

Comment

Girls living at home, 1911. 17 Duke St.
                Dora Davis, single 28
                Lydia Davis, single 26
                Alice Davis single, 21
                Beatrice May Davis 12 at School
                Violet Davis, 10 at School.

Their father William Davis filled out the census form incorrectly and listed all his children including the ones who were married and those that died! A line was put through the errors but my Grandma Sarah Jane Davis is still on this form even thoug she's married and has had several children by then!
                Last edited by kathsgirl.48; 16-05-12, 23:04.
                teresa

Comment

Just enlarged the photo on my computer and the 2 girls on the right hand side of the picture at the back both have wedding rings on.
                  teresa

Comment

And the girl seated front of photo also has on a wedding ring - so that puts the photo at 1915 at the earliest, if all the girls are sisters.

Looking at the hairstyles, they are quite plain and that look came just before the shingle/bob of the early 1920s, so I now date this photo between 1915 and 1920ish!

OC

Comment

I agree with OC on dates. I have photos of my grandmother dated 1917 and 1918 and the fashions are very similar. In fact, in one of them my grandmother is wearing an outfit almost identical to the lady on the right of your photo.

Jane

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        And the girl seated front of photo also has on a wedding ring

OC
                        The ring seems to be on the third finger of her right hand, not left, so possibly not a marriage band.

STG
                        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Since your contact gave you the photo, I assume you received a scan, not the original photo?

A photo historian may be able to date the photo (or at least give a before or after date) based on materials. Anyway your contact would be willing to take it to one? You may be able to find one thru a museum or by looking for a conservationist.
                          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 17-05-12, 14:24.

Comment

Wrong hand for a wedding ring. Or can you see one on the other hand which seems to be cut off from the photo.
                            teresa

Comment

Thanks for all of your comments. Here is a bit more info.

The years 1917/18 seems promising.

Also Dora Davis’ husband Walter John Tanner was in the Army too, joined 28 Aug 1915. Walter Signed his ‘Statement as to Disability’ form on 15 Mar 1919 and gives his permanent address as 17 Duke St, Bristol as well.

If 1917/18 we have then established that on the back row is Alice Clark nee Davis and most likely 2 of her married sisters who were living with their mother whilst their husband's were away in the Army during WW1. One could be Lydia Young nee Davis and the other could be Dora Tanner nee Davis.
                              The 2 youngest girls, Beatrice May Davis born Aug 1898 and Violet Davis born c.1899/1900 would have been abt 18 and 17 years old at that time.. So the mystery still continues!
                              teresa

Comment

Ooops, sorry, shows you how long it is since I wore a wedding ring!

OC

Comment

I have recently had the opportunity to view the photograph in question, and can tell you the name and address on the back of the photo is:

W Brightman 61 Redland Road Bristol

The photo is made out to be a post card.

A quick google gave me this.

Brightman, Edward & Son, Walter
                                  1906 , 39 Colston Street, St Augustines
                                  1907 61 Redland Road 1917 Last entry
                                  Interestingly, another google hit gave me this.

A potential photograph of a potential relative?

Comment

Working...
                                  X