Is this a shop or market stall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a shop or market stall?

Hi this a bit of an obscure one but would anyone have any idea whether this is a shop or market stall?

The man in the photo is my great grandmothers second husband Eric Leonard Rolfe. He married Isabella Ward after my great grandfather died in 1946 - (they married in 1947) and I don't know a lot about Eric or Basil as he was known as. They didn't have any children so I kind of wanted to find out what I could as no one else will if that makes sense?

I know his father was Harry Rolfe and he was a fruiterier according to Eric's marriage certificate. I kow the family was originally from Henley and I know that Eric and Isabella lived in Stepney and finally Ilford in Essex. Probably very little chance of placing the stall/shop but any help whatsoever would be great as always.

One last fact I came across was on Eric's death certificate where it says he was a shop manager under the occupation section as well as saying of 7 Warwick Gardens, Ilford, Essex - would that have been a home address or a work address?

Sorry to ramble on a bit and here is the photo - apologies for the quality but I have done a seperate thread in the photo section to see if anyone can help

Steven

When I was a child in the 1950s I remember shops like this. In particular a greengrocers near my Nan's house in Southfields, S W London. There were shutters which were pulled down when the shop was closed and when they were up the whole of the front of the shop was open to give the impression of a market stall - if you see what I mean!
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Thanks Sue it certainly looks like that. It's a pity the lights have obscured the name of the shop as that may have given a clue

Steven

Comment

I would say its a shop. It's a pity the name can't be seen.

Warwick Gardens is a residential area. I'm wondering if this shop is in Ilford Lane or Ley Street.

I know this area as I used to go to school there many moons ago! lol
        Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

Elaine that's a great call as I know Eric and my great grandmother Isabella used to live at 88a Ley Street for many years!!!!! Do you think it could be near there?

Steven

Comment

Warwick Gardens is about a 5 minute walk from Ley Street and about 5 mins from Cranbrook Road, going in another direction. Cranbrook Road leads into Ilford. I do wonder if this shop was in Ilford Lane.

Have a look at googlemaps/streetview and you can see the type of houses they lived in.
            Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

In the British Phone Books on Ancestry there is a listing in 1954 for M Soesan, fruiterer, at 245 Ilford Lane, Ilford.

I just put the name So*san in and this came up!

The shop appears to have been there since at least 1924, according to the Phone Books on Ancestry.
              Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 13-05-12, 17:42.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

This appears to be the shop now! A pity the van is obscuring most of the front though.

Oh this link doesn't seem to be working.
                Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 13-05-12, 18:09.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Sue, that's a stroke of luck, I thought it was So*san too and the photo resemble parts of Ilford Lane

Steve - is the family Jewish as quite a few Jewish families lived in and around Ilford in the 50s?

Comment

That's fantastic Sue thank you so much and well worked out!!!!!

Hi Elaine when I first started my research I thought they might have been as my great grandfather was called Solomon Smith but no Jewish connection at all. Again thanks for the help

Steven

Comment

If the chap in the photo is Eric Rolfe, he's Jewish (by appearance, if nothing else!).

OC

Comment

That's Eric OC or Basil as he was known as. Haven't come across any Jewish connection but I have his marriage and death certs but not is birth one so it might be worth ordering that

Steven

Comment

That's why I asked if he was Jewish OC, as I thought he looked Jewish.

Steve - you're welcome, what you thought would possibly be hard to find out about was actually easy - wish all searches were like that.

Comment

I have ordered Eric's birth certificate and that might give an indicator if he was Jewish. Sue I managed to get the link working and see how the shop looks now, pity about the van obscuring it but it still sells fruit and verge among other things.

Thanks for all your help

Steven

Comment

Steve

do you know if there is a family link between Eric and the Soesan family?

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
                                The lnk may not be working Sue but it's still a lovely view. I wonder where it is?
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                  The lnk may not be working Sue but it's still a lovely view. I wonder where it is?
                                  It's definitely not Ley Street Ilford I can tell you that for sure!! LOL

Margaret

Comment

If you zoom out on the map it shows place names of Manaus and Manacapuro. Googling says these are in Brazil.
                                    It certainly is a lovely picture isn't it?

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Is it not 245 Ilford Lane? I went into google maps and typed in 245 Ilford Lane and got a photo of a fruit and veg/off licence shop. I just assumed it was there?

Re the connection Elaine no idea about a Rolfe/Soesan connection - never came across the name before

Steven

See if this link works

Last edited by stevie2006; 14-05-12, 17:37.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
                                        Is it not 245 Ilford Lane? I went into google maps and typed in 245 Ilford Lane and got a photo of a fruit and veg/off licence shop. I just assumed it was there?

Re the connection Elaine no idea about a Rolfe/Soesan connection - never came across the name before

Steven

See if this link works

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/place?...R0vH8Aw&dtab=0
                                        Yes it is 245 Ilford Lane and your link works well. The comments above I think were because the other link given went to a rather more picturesque location in Brazil :D
                                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Working...
                                        X