William Fifield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Fifield

I received today the birth certificate of one of hubbys relatives. It gives the mothers maiden name as Emma Fifield who married John Hayden/Heyden. I did a quick search on Ancestry and found a marriage in 1853. It gives the following info:

Name: Emma Fifield
    Father's Name: William Fifield
    Spouse's Name: John Heyden
    Spouse's Father's Name: Stephen Heyden
    Marriage Date: 11 Sep 1853
    Marriage Place: Bristol, Gloucestershire, England.

I know from the 1861 census that Emma was born in Wootten-under-edge, Gloucestershire in 1834. I found Emma on the 1841 census living with just a Robert Fifield:

on the 1851 census, she is living with a Thomas Fifield and listed as sister

The only William Fifield that is old enough to be her father is the famous painter William Fifield, she is not on either census with him though. He dies in 1857. There is a William Fifield who dies in 1845 and am wondering if this is her father. having searched the 1841 census though there are only two William Fifields and one is born in 1839 so cannot be Emmas father. is it this one that dies in 1845? Also am wondering that just because Emma was born in gloucestershire was her father?! It seems to be a common name in Oxfordshire.

Am now wondering if the marriage record on ancestry is wrong, several people on ancestry have her father down as Robert who she is with in 1841.

I think I have no choice but to send off for the marriage cert and see what it says for father, whether it be Robert, William deceased, or William occupation very famous painter!!

I have been at this all afternoon and am fed up with going around in circles!

The other side Hayden behaved beautifully all appearing on the census as they should and even turning up 10 years on living with a married daughter and her family so saved loads of time there LOL
    KAREN xx

My friends family are all spelt Fyfield is that a possibility?

Linda

Comment

Hi Fuzzy

This isn't going to help at all but thought I would share it. I was searching for the Fifield family when I found a site with that family name in New Hampshire, there are 3 brothers Shadrach 1788, Meshach 1791 and Abednego 1796 now I can't get the song out of my head!

Comment

Originally posted by Loopy Linda in La La Land View Post
        My friends family are all spelt Fyfield is that a possibility?

Linda
        Will check it out Linda thanks. I did find her on the census as Fifield BUT father could be under Fyfield. Thanks
        KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
          Hi Fuzzy

This isn't going to help at all but thought I would share it. I was searching for the Fifield family when I found a site with that family name in New Hampshire, there are 3 brothers Shadrach 1788, Meshach 1791 and Abednego 1796 now I can't get the song out of my head!
          Hiya Frazzled,

LOLOLOLOL, that has given me a good giggle!!
          KAREN xx

Comment

Me too and now I can't get it out of my head either:D
            I think I would have to send for the marriage cert Karen
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

[QUOTE=Chrissie Smiff;2374303]Me too and now I can't get it out of my head either:D
              I think I would have to send for the marriage cert Karen[/QUOTE

Certificate sent for Chrissie! Cannot wait for it to come back! Bet you it comes back with William Fifield ag labourer, and then that will be that as try as I might cannot find any other William Fifields except the one born in 1839, and the painter who is well documented on the internet and his children are listed and emma isn't one of them. Having said that it does say he had at least 4 so who knows! will let you know when it arrives.

I know Chrissie, that blasted song!!!!!! Well it has given us a laugh!
              KAREN xx

Comment

Back to being sensible.

I believe I have found the Robert Fifield born 1799 a Cordwainer, who was with Emma in 1841. In 1851 he is with his brother John Fifield and his family in Haresfield, Glos. Robert is born 1799 in Nidelson? (think this is mistranscribed as can't find it), Wiltshire he is a Shoemaker Journeyman, deaf and dumb and unmarried.
                His brother John is born 1791 in Lopen (again mistranscribed) Wiltshire, he is a master Shoe Maker.

Maybe John and Richard are brothers to William and he died before 1841. Emma could have been helping Richard if he is deaf and dumb. Haven't found John in 1841 yet but have to go out now so will look later and will also try and work out what the birth places of John and Richard should be. Perhaps someone who knows Wiltshie would know?

Comment

I wonder if John said Sopworth (but pronounced it Sopeth) and so that's what the enumerator has written. It looks more like Sopeth than Lopen to me.
                  As for Roberts Nidelson, the best I could think of was possibly if he had said Nettleton quickly without too much pronunciation?
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Have managed to get on the computer after spending all afternoon ironing!!

Frazzled, having looked at my notes, I have written down that info! Great minds or what?!! I did miss the bit about him being deaf and dumb so thanks for that, really appreciate it.

Chrissie I also found this:

Name: Robert Fifield
                    Birth Date: 5 Apr 1800
                    Christening Date: 8 Apr 1800
                    Christening Place: Nettleton, Wiltshire, England
                    Age at Christening: 0
                    Father's Name: Thomas Fifield
                    Mother's Name: Perina

I will have to be patient and wait for the certificate. I cannot find a death record for a William Fifield other than the one in 1845 and 1857 unless of course Emmas father died before 1837!
                    KAREN xx

Comment

John Fifield on the 1841:

Just a little mistranscribed!

ers:
                      Name Age
                      John Jifebb 45
                      Mary Jifebb 45
                      Prina Jifebb 14
                      Jesse Jifebb 8
                      John Jifebb 3

So what we think then is that Emmas father was William. His brothers were Robert and John both shoemakers. William has died. If certificate comes back with occupation shoemaker that I think will confirm this theory. Only trouble is lack of death record for William Fifield unless of course as I said he dies pre 1837. What happened to the mother? Wish i could find a baptism for Emma. Oh well, will cross one bridge at a time and wait for the cert!
                      KAREN xx

Comment

Looking on Ancestry there is a tree which has Thomas b1819 (who Emma is with on the 1851 and is listed as sister) with parents of the famous painter William Fifield and Elizabeth.

it lists these children:

Thomas Fifield b1819
                        Jasper Ffield b1824
                        Mary Fifield b1824

My Emma was born in 1829 so would fit.

There is of course the possibility that without any proof, they have made the leap that without any other William Fifields around Robert b1819 must be the painters son! i have emailed the owner of the tree and asked how they know that Robert b1819 is definately William Ffield the painters son. It doesn't really ring true to me as on the 1851 census Robert is a Ag Lab!

Oh how I wish cert could arrive tomorrow!!
                        KAREN xx

Comment

Certificate arrived today, Emma Fifields father is William Fifield a FARMER!! Ah, I didn't see that one coming! Cannot find a anything that fits him on the 1841. It doesn't say deceased on the certificate BUT that doesn't mean of course that he isn't! with the lack of a William Fifield on the census or a death ref that fits, this is another for the unsolved pile DAMN!!
                          KAREN xx

Comment

Keep losing my internet connection so may have to give up for the day, I found a william Fifield b 1806 in Warwickshire on the 1851, he is a FARMER. I wonder if it could be Emmas father, just because she was born in Gloucestershire it doesn't mean that he had to be!! am not sure how all the pieces fit, but it may be a possibility

I also found the same man on the 1841 in warwickshire

Second opinions welcome
                            KAREN xx

Comment

Cannot remember if I have posted this BUT this is Emma fifield living with her brother Thomas on the 1851, he is 10 years older than her:

It doesn't help me find william on the census but this is the baptism of Emma's brother Thomas! I think I can discount the William from my post above !!

Name: Thomas Fifeld
                              Baptism/Christening Date: 13 Jun 1819
                              Baptism/Christening Place: HAWKESBURY,GLOUCESTER,ENGLAND
                              Birth Date:
                              Birthplace:
                              Death Date:
                              Name Note:
                              Race:
                              Father's Name: William Fifeld
                              Father's Birthplace:
                              Father's Age:
                              Mother's Name: Elizabeth
                              Mother's Birthplace:
                              Mother's Age:
                              Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C03612-1
                              System Origin: England-ODM
                              Source Film Number: 856930
                              Reference Number:

so I now know that Emma's parents were William and Elizabeth Fifield, what the heck happened to them though?!!
                              KAREN xx

Comment

i have rellies from hawkesbury! there is a website for the town, with parish register transcripts on it i think. have you looked for a marriage for the parents yet? the original may say where they were from.....

Comment

Hi Kyle, OOOh spooky that is a coincidence!

No haven't looked for the marriage yet. This is complicated by the fact the famous painter William fifield also married an elizabeth. it is these parents that a lot of people of Ancestry have attributed Emma brother to. I really don't think this is the case as marriage certificate of Emmas states her father is a farmer!

why oh why is it never easy eh?!!
                                  KAREN xx

Comment

if it was easy, you'd lose interest.......

Comment

True words indeed !!
                                      KAREN xx

Comment

HI Fuzzy

Have you checked to see of William left a will? My 3xGGrandfather was a farmer in Rutland and he left all his wordly goods to his wife and £5 to each of his children. Trouble is I know there are different catagories of Farmer, I was trying to find out more about it but apparently it usually means that you own land and employ farm workers. I am sure there is more to it than that and other members on here will know more about it than I do!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X