Stuck in Scotland!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck in Scotland!

I am trying to find the parents of William Wynn/Wynne/Wynd born c 1813 Greenock Renfrewshire.

Appears on the 1841 Scottish census with wife Margaret (20) and children Marion and Margaret.
    Also in the household is Daniel Brown (20) who I believe is Margaret's brother.
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

I cannot find him in 1851 and 1861 - he was in the Royal Navy so I presume he is not in the UK during those years.
    By 1851 his wife and family are living in England.

In 1871 he is in Dunoon and Kilmun with an Alexander Brown & family. Alexander is his brother in law (Margaret's brother).
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

William dies in 1873.

I have looked on the IGI, Family Search and Scotlands People for his baptism but cannot see anything.

There are two Wynn/Wynne marriages in Greenock about the right time:
    John Wynn marries Janet Brown - 3 Oct 1807 - Greenock Old or West (source Scotlands People)
    and
    William Wynne marries Margaret Cameron - 26 Jan 1810, Greenock New or Middle (source Scotlands People)
    - but cannot see any evidence of either couple having a son called William!

Any help appreciated.
    Elaine

Just tied up with other stuff at the moment but will have a look later if no one else has sorted it!
    Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret.

Should have added:
      I have the death certificate for William Wynne -
      - Name & Rank of profession of father = unknown
      - Name and Maiden surname of mother = unknown
      (Informant was William's son)

:(
      Elaine

Comment

wynne.jpgthis might be the marriage Elaine but couldnt find the bap ?
        its in Greenock East
        Last edited by Guest; 12-05-12, 15:17.

Comment

oops just noticed you know who he married

Comment

Thanks for looking Val, yes I already have the marriage.
            Elaine

Comment

I have a few credits on scotlandspeople but not having much luck either sorry.

Comment

Thanks Val. Please don't waste your credits.
                I've got a few left after having had a good couple of days research on SP - just got totally stuck on this one!
                I thought a lot of Scottish stuff was on the IGI or Family Search, but can't see anything there either.
                Elaine

Comment

I really dont mind Elaine , you have helped me a lot .

Comment

Elaine I had a look but no William. I did find a Finlay Brown Wynn born Greenock 14/8/1814 to parents John Wynn and Janet Brown and a Margaret Wynn born to the same parents on 7/1/1810? Could they be related?

Steven

Comment

There is also a Margaret Wynne born 6/1/1810 to parents John Wynne and Jane Brown but probably the same one as above?

Steven

Comment

Thanks for looking Steven. Yes, I found those children as well but at the moment no idea if they are related. At the moment all I have for my William is born circa 1813 Greenock - and nothing to link him to anyone!
                        Elaine

Comment

I did find a Finlay Brown Wynn born Greenock 14/8/1814 to parents John Wynn and Janet Brown and a Margaret Wynn born to the same parents on 7/1/1810? Could they be related?
                          Trying to go sideways now to see if I can find a connection! Can anyone see what happened to Finlay. I cannot see him on a census and cannot find a marriage or death on SP. :(
                          Elaine

Comment

Sorry I haven't been able to help - I had a look and like everyone else can't see anything for William.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks for looking Margaret.
                              Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine
                                You're right that a lot of Scottish stuff is on IGI/Family Search but there are exceptions.
                                The information is garnered from the OPR's (Old Parish Registers) which are from the Church of Scotland. Therefore, unless your ancestors were CofS then there won't be a record there. If they were Catholic there might be an entry in the Catholic Registers on SP - however, the info can be pretty scant.
                                Assuming they were Protestant, and CofS, the Register would have needed to be sent to Edinburgh and not all Church Ministers/Clerks did this.
                                Not all registers survived, some were destroyed by water damage, fire, even by vermin!
                                The other problem is that until 1855 there was no legal requirement to register births or to have the children baptised, so there might be no record at all.

Comment

i was going to say he may have been non con too. those records do exist, but are not on scotlandspeople. either that or he wasn't christened. i have usually one or two of the eldest kids christened, then nothing for the others concerning scottish research. hit and miss.

burials rarely existed before 1855 in any parish, so that may explain no death or burial for the wynn's you are trying to tie together. i think your lucky they have registers pre 1828!! in the highlands, they begin 1828, and your still lucky if your family shows in them!!

Comment

I have the same problem, kylejustin!! There are just so many lines that I just can't confirm for certain because the records aren't there. Mine were Free or Free Presbyterian and from Skye. I still live in hope that there will be a register lurking in an attic.

Comment

i think the records office or register office in edinburgh would have the registers. i don't know why scotlandspeople doesn't have non con registers. they only added the catholic ones in the last year.

Comment

Working...
                                      X