James HAILEY Hiding in 1891/1901

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James HAILEY Hiding in 1891/1901

Can anyone see James in 1891 or 1901 please?

I had long ago given up looking for the death of my ggg-gf's brother James HAILEY as my last sighting of him was in 1881 but lo & behold whilst looking for something else entirely different today, I find him alive & well & living in Norwich in 1911.

Here is what I think I know about him.

He was baptised in 1828 in Hitchin Herts to Joshua & Elizabeth.

In 1841 he can be found in Hitchin living with his mother & most of his siblings, his father having been sent on an extended holiday to NSW in 1832.

I believe his first brush with the law was in 1845 when he's sentenced to 2 mths for larceny.
    In 1850 he's sentenced to 7 yrs transportation for stealing 8 bushels of potatoes & 12d of property but for some reason is not sent. It may have been something to do with the unwritten '3 strikes' rule as he only had the one prior conviction.

However the 1851 Census finds him in Armley Gaol, Leeds. I assume this is where he was sent for his punishment but not for long as he was back in court in Jun 1852 where it shows he was convicted twice before of a felony but this time was found 'Not Guilty'.

During this time he fathered 2 sons in Sep 1850 & Mar 1852 & both were baptised in Nov 1852. He married their mother in Jan 1853 & things go quiet for a few years.

In 1861 he's in Hitchin with wife Ann & 4 sons.

In Oct 1863 he's back in trouble with the law being found guilty of stealing a gun from one man & the trunks of 2 beech trees from another. It shows he has 2 previous convictions & he is again sentenced to 7 yrs transportation. This time he is sent but not until 1866 - destination Western Australia.

I thought this would be the last that would be seen of him in this country because of the numerous difficulties facing any convict trying to return.

There's no sign of him in 1871, not surprisingly & Ann is in Hitchin with the 3 youngest children still saying she's married. Ann dies in 1874 & in 1881 James is in the Hitchin Union Workhouse - a widower.

Then I can find no further sign of him until he pops up in 1911. At least I now know he died in 1916.
    Glen

Sorry I haven't been able to find James, I have been following his sons to see if there are any clues and found this which may be of use if you are researching the sons as well.
    Son Joshua Hailey has been incorrectly registered as Watson in 1901, the enumerator copied the surname from the family above instead of putting Hailey.

Comment

nope, can't see him.. tricky customer he is.. !
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for looking frazzled. Yes I found that when I was trawling through the whole of Hitchin about 10 yrs ago to be sure my grandmother had been omitted from the census, but I only put the correction in to Ancestry yesterday.

Thanks for looking Julie.

What do you think of this? Name spelled incorrectly, status incorrect, age about right, occupation right, birthplace incorrect. BUT he is in the West Wymer workhouse & was living in East Wymer in 1911 plus I cannot see one James HAILEY (or variations) born in Norfolk in any other census.

Glen

Comment

Working...
        X