Common to have a "replacement" son?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common to have a "replacement" son?

Just digging deeper into my earlier query- In 1881 I have the family with a son called Herbert (named after the father) aged 4, 10 years later I have them with a son Herbert- aged 4, and he's in the correct descending chronological place on the census. Do you think it's a census error- a possible mishearing of 14, or was it really possible after the death of a child to name a new one after them?

I have several instances where children have been named after their dead siblings, so not uncommon. You could try looking for a birth for the "new" Herbert or a death for the one who appears in 1881. Have you found Herbert in 1901?
    Jenny

Comment

Yes, very common, for boy or girl. I, too, have several, not even necessarily a parent's or grandparent's name.

I was confused, too, with the reversing of names, i.e., first child Edward George - who died - and the next boy, George Edward. Dad was Edward, maternal grandfather was George.

And later there was another Edward!
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 11-05-12, 03:05.

Comment

I looked on freebmd, but couldn't see a death. I'm still digging, so hopefully I'll come across something. Thanks for your input, it's good to get a second opinion on the little nagging questions.

Comment

Ah names!! Of little or no use in the victorian era! lol. Herbert Bloomfield James Green- known as Bloomfield in 1841 and 1851, then a steady usage of Herbert up until 1891, decides that in 1901 he wants to be called George!

Comment

Scrap that earlier comment, Herbert Goodwin Green 5 dies 1882 - replacement Herbert Goodwin Green Born 1887, both Tynemouth. Goodwin is also the middle name of Herbert Sr's grandfather (and I assume other family menbers too).

Comment

Originally posted by Konovolov View Post
              Scrap that earlier comment, Herbert Goodwin Green 5 dies 1882 - replacement Herbert Goodwin Green Born 1887, both Tynemouth. Goodwin is also the middle name of Herbert Sr's grandfather (and I assume other family menbers too).
              I imagine Goodwin is a surname of one of the women somewhere along the line.

Margaret

Comment

One of my Q's had 5 sons, the first 4 he called 'John' and sadly they all died. He called the 5th 'William' who lived into his 70's
                Debs

Comment

Originally posted by Debbss View Post
                  One of my Q's had 5 sons, the first 4 he called 'John' and sadly they all died. He called the 5th 'William' who lived into his 70's
                  Debs
                  spooky - and who says 'what's in a name?'

Margaret

Comment

Lol! I think I may have tried a name change a bit earlier! Bless, he was obviously very keen for a namesake!

Comment

Originally posted by Debbss View Post
                      Lol! I think I may have tried a name change a bit earlier! Bless, he was obviously very keen for a namesake!
                      Yes, but at what cost!! must have been a slow learner.

Margaret

Comment

Yes, I have this a lot too, but the strikng one is three Samuels in a row, all died, then a girl, then a fourth Samuel, who survived long enough to be killed in WW1.

OC

Comment

In the 1850s one of my Joseph Dixon family had 11 children, all lived to be adults except the 2 boys named Edwin who died age d 3 and 4.. Perhaps in homage one of the cildren named Joseph named one of his 4 children Edwin and he died in infancy.. the others lived to be adults.
                          The name Edwin does not appear again....

Comment

I too have had lots of replacement children! I do not understand how they could call a second child the same name as the one who had died, to me it is like putting the mockers on the poor child! I agree that the goodwin is probably a maiden name somewhere down the track, again i have had this lot in my tree and most recently in my husbands tree, generations were called Walter Thorne Tarrant, it was only when I got right the way back the the late 1700's I found a John Tarrant whose wife mothers name was Mary Thorne
                            KAREN xx

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm slowly getting back into this- well, I say slowly, but I was digging around like a maniac on A******y last night! I'd forgotten what a great support network we have here.

Comment

I had that when I was looking for my Grandma's birth certificate. The first one I ordered came back with birth date in June. She lived with us all her life so I knew it was 31st May.

When I delved further I saw that Great Grandma lost a child to measles at 16 months named Rosetta and when Grandma was born 5 months later she was called Rosetta

Linda

Comment

Great-grandfather's name was John as was his older brother (about two years older than him); possibly the elder John was poorly and they thought name the next one just in case. The older brother did die young.

Another instance was when a William was born and died, then the next was named William, etc, etc etc and eventually one named William survived.
                                  Joy

Comment

There was superstition involved too - it was thought that the Devil, having already taken one child called Samuel, or whatever, would miss another one called Samuel and that one would survive.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                      There was superstition involved too - it was thought that the Devil, having already taken one child called Samuel, or whatever, would miss another one called Samuel and that one would survive.

OC
                                      I didn't know that! Thanks for that OC
                                      KAREN xx

Comment

fascinating oc!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X