Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far out could the age on the 1841 census be??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How far out could the age on the 1841 census be??

Dear all,

Today I have discovered the marriage of Richard Cearns to Ann Quayle in 1848 on familysearch, it backed up my theory that Richard Cearns father was James Cearns, I found a baptism for Richard that gives his date of birth as 11th Oct 1826 (bapt 30th Oct 1826). Gives father James Cearns and mother Ann

Trouble is the only James Cearns and Ann I could find on the 1841 was this one:

James Cearns
    . . . Age : 25 ... Born in : 1816 ...
    . . .
    . . . Profession: Tailor ... Birth county : Scotland ... Parish: Liverpool ...
    . . . Address: Brownswood Court ... District: H_556-3 ... Area: Liverpool ...

Oh I should say that Richard was born in Liverpool and married in Liverpool.

The record doesn't exist on A*******y and James and Ann are not on the 1851 so I cannot clarify his age on that. I think from what I can see James either dies in 1851 or 1852, inconsiderate soul!

I am now thinking I have no option but to send off for the certificate just for Richards fathers occupation and hope it comes back Tailor!!

Thoughts please!!!!!!!!!!
    KAREN xx

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post

The record doesn't exist on A*******y
    transcribed as James Claerns

Ages on 1841 census not usually more than 4 years out as they were generally rounded down to the nearest "0" or "5"

... and no need to asterisk out Ancestry!
    Elaine

Comment

thanks Elaine, I will have to send off for the certificate and see what occupation says on there! I had a vague idea that they were rounded. I had one chap who gave his age year on the 1841 as 1797, then the 1851 as 1811 and then the 1861 1816 so am nervous with ages now!! If occupation comes back as tailor it must be him. No wonder couldn't find it on Ancestry.........Well done you, how do you do it?!!!

LOL re ancestry, wasn't sure!!
      KAREN xx

Comment

A baptism record from 1826 should show the father's occupation too.

Gwyn

Comment

I'm not sure if it is the same James but have you seen this marriage on Lancs OPC in 1827:
          Marriage: 11 Feb 1827 St George, Derby Square, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
          James Cearns - Tailor of Liverpool
          Mary Love - Spinster of Liverpool
          Witness: Joseph Bromley; W Wilkinson
          Married by Banns by: Jonathan Brooks
          Register: Marriages 1813 - 1837, Page 23, Entry 68
          Source: LDS Film 1656195
          The occupation of tailor caught my eye, although I realise it's not Ann!
          Also, you have probably already seen this but just in case there is an Annie Cearns (father John Quail, shoemaker) who was widowed & married Thomas Laidlaw on 8th March 1874 at St Nicholas, Liverpool according to ancestry:

Hope the link works & good luck with your search!
          Last edited by Arilla; 10-05-12, 21:46.

Comment

I read an article that mentioned that altho enumerators were supposed to round down to the nearest age ending in 0 or 5, some misunderstood, and rounded up. Others simply wrote the age.

Comment

Originally posted by Arilla View Post
              I'm not sure if it is the same James but have you seen this marriage on Lancs OPC in 1827:
              Marriage: 11 Feb 1827 St George, Derby Square, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
              James Cearns - Tailor of Liverpool
              Mary Love - Spinster of Liverpool
              Witness: Joseph Bromley; W Wilkinson
              Married by Banns by: Jonathan Brooks
              Register: Marriages 1813 - 1837, Page 23, Entry 68
              Source: LDS Film 1656195
              The occupation of tailor caught my eye, although I realise it's not Ann!
              Also, you have probably already seen this but just in case there is an Annie Cearns (father John Quail, shoemaker) who was widowed & married Thomas Laidlaw on 8th March 1874 at St Nicholas, Liverpool according to ancestry:

Hope the link works & good luck with your search!

thanks for that, but my James according to the baptism record of Richard married an Ann. Just seen the tailor bit, was half asleep this morning!! yes that is interesting! I wonder if this is one of those middle name case ie a Mary Ann calling herself ann?!!

thanks for the re-marriage info but I did already have it..........That is a tale in itself, he was half her age and she reverts to her first married name on the next census and is living with her son John Quayle Cearns, so lordy know what happened there?!!
              Last edited by Fuzzy; 11-05-12, 10:09. Reason: added text
              KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                I read an article that mentioned that altho enumerators were supposed to round down to the nearest age ending in 0 or 5, some misunderstood, and rounded up. Others simply wrote the age.
                Goodness, they don't make it easy for us do they?!! Thanks for that
                KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
                  A baptism record from 1826 should show the father's occupation too.

Gwyn
                  Hi Gywn, have looked and looked at record but cannot see a occupation.

This is a catholic baptism, I just realised that all the catholic ones do not show an occupation.
                  Last edited by Fuzzy; 11-05-12, 10:35. Reason: added text
                  KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                    That is a tale in itself, he was half her age and she reverts to her first married name on the next census and is living with her son John Quayle Cearns, so lordy know what happened there?!!
                    Haha! probably just to keep you guessing!

Comment

Ha Ha! Would love to know why!! I discovered her second marriage by accident! because it such an unusual name it came up whilst I was doing a search for her! I had assumed she hadn't remarried as she still had her first married name on all the census' even after her marriage to Thomas Laidlaw!
                      KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                      X