Update on Opinions wanted!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update on Opinions wanted!!

Yesterday I emailed Shropshire Reg office to ask them to look for a birth cert for Edith/Adelaide Bowler/Shaw born in Market Drayton in 1887/8. When I got home from work today, I had a message to call a lady there as she thought she might have found something. When I phoned her back, she went through theones that she had found, including Edith Bowler whose mother was Sarah, who I now believe is a cousin to the one I was looking for. the most interesting thing that she'd found was the cert for Adelaide Bowdler, which had her mother listed as Mary Ann Bowdler! The cert definitely says Bowdler & she has signed as Bowdler as well. The address was Little Drayton, which is where Mary Ann & Adelaide Bowler/Shaw were living in 1891. Mary Ann was listed as a domestic servant, which is what she was in 1881. There is no Mary Ann Bowdler in Market Drayton in 1881 nor in 1891 or an Adelaide Bowdler in 1891.

This really sounds to me as if it must be the right one. The lady is going to check out any possible Edith Shaws in the area & get back to me. An excellent service!
    Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 10-05-12, 18:57.
    Lynn

Really really pleased for you Lynn, that is fantastic news. Please keep us updated. also brilliant detective work, well done sherlock!!
    KAREN xx

Comment

Thanks Karen. The lady got back to me & said there were no Edith Shaws registered around that time, so I have ordered the Adelaide Bowdler cert. It did occur to me that she might have been registered under a slightly different name, because she was illigitemate.
      Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 10-05-12, 18:58.
      Lynn

Comment

It always difficult with an illegitmate birth Lynn, the only one I have had was registered with mothers name only no father, but with the name I had for him, lucky I guess! He was on the 1911 census with a different last name as mother had now married, but when I checked though there were no children of that name registered several years either side of when he was born! fingers crossed for you that it is her. Do let us know when it arrives.
        KAREN xx

Comment

I will do, although I am not sure it will show much more than I already know.
          Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 12-05-12, 13:08.
          Lynn

Comment

The cert arrived this morning, which is an excellent service! It doesn't tell me much more, although the address is given as Woodseaves, Little Drayton. Woodseaves is given as Mary Ann Bowler's place of birth in 1881, although it changes to Hales in 1901 & 1911. The best thing to do wood be to get the marriage cert to compare her writing, but having just spent £10 on this cert, it will be a while before i can justify getting another. :(
            Lynn

Comment

Oh BUM! Sorry to hear that Lynn, was praying that the certificate would have given you some sort of vital clue that it was her. You did have a feeling though that it wouldn't tell you much more than you knew already.

Put her on the back burner for now and when you have some spare cash get the marriage cert
              KAREN xx

Comment

I am still fairly sure it is her, I know that the other Edith Bowler that we had looked at wasn't her now as I found a tree with her married to someone totally different so they clearly weren't the same person.
                Lynn

Comment

yes sometimes a process of elimination and what is left must be the answer!
                  KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                  X