Lieutenant W J Helme Naval Reserve 1874-1908

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lieutenant W J Helme Naval Reserve 1874-1908

Recently commenced Family History but cannot fathom how to identify individual service records who served in Royal Navy Reserve, hoping for suggestions and or leads on this forum.
    Have attempted to search Nat archives but their system is beyond me.
    Name William James Helme
    Born 1848 Preston Lancashire
    Died 1910 Birenhead
    So far identified
    1848 b Preston 17th march
    1874 appointed Honorary Lietenant Royal Naval Reserve - 28th April 1874
    1877 maried Hannah Breakell in Liverpool Christ Church 29th August
    1882 Awarded Egypt Medal - again unable to locate the entry in ther records - I have his medal & ribbon
    1891 CensusRG12 P 3428 f 47 Living at Manor House Longton Preston
    1908 Still on the Navy List as Hon Lieut William james Helme
    1910 Died Birkenhead january.

So need some guidance as to how to locate WJH service record & hopefully any Naval records prior to 1874.

Details of availability of Royal Naval Reserve officers records is here

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

They're not indexed online so you would have to go to Kew or get someone to go for you.

His entry on the medal roll should be on Ancestry in the "Naval Medal and Award Rolls" database although it looks as though the Egypt Medal recipients were perhaps not indexed so it might be a question of ploughing through all of them! If you know his ship, that would make the search quicker.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for this info, I have been unable to find his details within this TNA cat even with multi spellings.

Comment

google a man called 'kevin asplin'. he will go to kew for you and find the records. he is a military researcher, and won't charge you a cent unless he finds something. he is a very good resource. have used him numerous times in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          google a man called 'kevin asplin'. he will go to kew for you and find the records. he is a military researcher, and won't charge you a cent unless he finds something. he is a very good resource. have used him numerous times in the past.
          Ann Swabey member on here (see post #2 above) also does military research and is very good. http://www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk/

Margaret

Comment

Thanks have now asked Ann Swabey to take alook at the records.
            Useful to have a couple researchers recommended

Comment

Working...
            X