Has anyone got the parish records for Rutland please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone got the parish records for Rutland please

I would like to find out about Robert Sanby and would be very grateful if anyone could help me. Several years ago I had help with my Sanby family on another forum and now I would like to try and find Robert.

I know a lot about his sons but nothing about him. He had 2 sons Samuel born 1790 in Spalding, Lincolnshire who married and lived with his family in Great Casterton, Rutland, and James born 1792 in Barrowden who married in Crowland, Lincolnshire and lived with his family in Kings Cliff, Northamptonshire.

As you can see this family moved around Lincolnshire, Rutland and Northamptonshire.

Robert married Frances?, I don't know her surname or where they married. I have tried looking on Lincstothepast but haven't found a marriage there. There are a number of reasons I think they may have married in Barrowden, so if anyone has access to the records could they see ....

Is there a marriage for Robert Sanby to Frances ? in Baarrowden 1785-1790?
    Is there a death reg for Robert Sanby 1792-1797 in Barrowden?

I have more information on the family if anyone can help,

Thank you.

I think the Rutland records are held in Leicestershire Records Office. I did see this tree on ancestry http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/tree/238...39294632?ssrc= which has Frances Sanby b1766 Barrowden so maybe be worth contacting them (if not your tree) to see if they can help.

Margaret

Comment

Thank you for the reply Margaret, sadly I am not a member of ancestry anymore so cannot contact anyone. I have been thinking about buying the bmd cd's for Rutland as I have many unanswered questions and as I don't live in England it would probably be the best solution.

Comment

Hi Frazzled,

I don't suppose this has anything to do with him has it?

Name: Robert Sanby
        Baptism/Christening Date: 18 Apr 1756
        Baptism/Christening Place: Thurlby (near Bourn), Lincoln, England
        Birth Date:
        Birthplace:
        Death Date:
        Name Note:
        Race:
        Father's Name: Deuksberry Sanby
        Father's Birthplace:
        Father's Age:
        Mother's Name: Elizabeth
        Mother's Birthplace:
        Mother's Age:
        Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C03247-3
        System Origin: England-EASy
        Source Film Number: 1450476
        Reference Number: item 3
        KAREN xx

Comment

Found a baptism for Samuel, which I assume you already have but have put it here just in case!

Name: Samuel Sanby
          Baptism/Christening Date: 23 Oct 1790
          Baptism/Christening Place: Spalding, Lincoln, England
          Birth Date:
          Birthplace:
          Death Date:
          Name Note:
          Race:
          Father's Name: Robert Sanby
          Father's Birthplace:
          Father's Age:
          Mother's Name: Frances
          Mother's Birthplace:
          Mother's Age:
          Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I04968-7
          System Origin: England-EASy
          Source Film Number: 1542019
          Reference Number: v 5

No luck finding a marriage to Frances though
          KAREN xx

Comment

Hi Fuzzy

Thank you I have Samuel's christening details but I don't know if the Robert Sanby born in Thurlby is mine. It is odd but neither Samuel or James called any of their sons Robert or Deuksberry (that would be too easy). On Samuel's death cert they have named him as Samuel Robert but someone has crossed out the Robert. What I need is a marriage between Robert and Frances which states where they came from, highly unlikely I know but it would be nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
              Hi Fuzzy

Thank you I have Samuel's christening details but I don't know if the Robert Sanby born in Thurlby is mine. It is odd but neither Samuel or James called any of their sons Robert or Deuksberry (that would be too easy). On Samuel's death cert they have named him as Samuel Robert but someone has crossed out the Robert. What I need is a marriage between Robert and Frances which states where they came from, highly unlikely I know but it would be nice!
              I thought you would probably had the baptism record. yes it is so difficult without the marriage, and the use of second names doesn't help, so many of my lot married with their names switched around! If it hadn't been for the brides name, and sometimes witnesses I would have doubted it was them. Also look at my Joseph Frederick who switched his names around when he joined up! Sorry i couldn't find a marriage for you.

Trouble is even if the marriage turns up they may not actually marry in the parish they were born. One of my McGills married a far distance away as she was 8 months pregnant at the time!

Good luck and hope it eventually turns up and in the right area you ar hoping for
              KAREN xx

Comment

Thank you Fuzzy, I shall keep on looking!

Comment

I was reading another thread and freereg was mentioned. It is a site I always forget to check but I am glad I did.

I have found the marriage of Robert Sanbee to Frances Hacket so am currently dancing round the room. They were married in Crowland, Lincolnshire so I checked Lincstothepast and there they are, so another dance of joy as I have been looking for them for so long. I had checked Lincstothepast before but looked in the wrong palces!

Robert Sanbee, Batchelor of Borough Fen, Northampton and Frances Hacket, Spinster of Crowland were married by Banns on 12 October 1789 in St Guthlac.

As I mentioned this family moves around a lot Samuel is born Spalding and James Barrowden.

I would like opinions please. Could Robert Sanby born Thurlby be this Robert Sanbee living in Borough Fen, Northants. I know this is going to hard to prove but I have not found any other Robert Sanby/Sanbee/Sandby in this time frame so far. If it could be him, that family is recorded on familysearch and shows Robert's father Deuksberry/Dewsberry plus his parents and siblings as well. I know I have not found Robert's death which hopefully will give an age at death but if it doesn't are there any other avenues I could follow? Unfortunately I have to rely on information on line.

I would be grateful for any suggestions. Just have to go out now but will be back later.

Comment

Hi Frazzled,

am so so pleased that you finally found the marriage you were looking for, it feels so good to find something after such a long search.

It is very difficult to know for sure whether the man born in Thurlby is yours or not. It is such a shame that they didn't think to put fathers names on marriages earlier! I have several maybes but so hard to know for sure, especially when they are not where you would expect them to be. As you say they travelled around alot, so it could be him. The Absence of any other birth for a Robert Sanby in this time frame helps your cause to prove it is him, but I suppose there could be a Robert Sandby/Sanbee/Sanby birth out there that hasn't made it online. Sorry to not be of more help BUT just wanted to say how pleased I am for you
                    KAREN xx

Comment

Thanks Karen at least I am another step forward!

If I can find a death for Robert Sanbee/Sanby with an age on it that may help! There don't seem to be many Sanbys so this should make my search easier. I found a will online for Samuel Sanby which was great but there doesn't seem to be one online for Thomas Sanby or Deuksbury/Dewsberry Sandby. Anyway as I said I am moving forwards which is the right direction.

Comment

Hi Frazzled,

I just caught this post as I was doing something else so haven't had time to read it properly, so I may be a bit late here but I have the transcribed parish records for 31 parishes in Rutland I think there were about 50 in total...let me know if I can help

Last edited by jadzia; 08-06-12, 03:05.
                        Ness

Comment

Hi Ness

If you could help that would be great, have sent you a pm.

Comment

Wondered if you have these burials

GREAT CASTERTON - RUTLAND 35 ELIZABETH SANBY Abode GREAT CASTERTON 26-Dec 1819 68
                            GREAT CASTERTON - RUTLAND 99 JAMES SANBY Abode GREAT CASTERTON 30-Jul 1827 2WKS
                            GREAT CASTERTON - RUTLAND 64 WILLIAM SANBY Abode GREAT CASTERTON 07-Apr 1823 6WKS
                            Last edited by Elaine; 03-06-12, 21:30.
                            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Thank you very much for those Elaine, I know about James and William they are the sons of my 3xGGrandparents but I don't know who Elizabeth is. I shall have to do some digging!

Comment

I have just realised the transcribed records for the other parishes in Rutland is out ;D I have ordered it and will let you know if I find anymore Sanbey/Sanbee etc when it arrives. Good luck in your research

Ness

Comment

Thank you Ness and thank you for looking at the parishes you already have.

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
                                    Thank you for the reply Margaret, sadly I am not a member of ancestry anymore so cannot contact anyone. I have been thinking about buying the bmd cd's for Rutland as I have many unanswered questions and as I don't live in England it would probably be the best solution.
                                    if the tree is a public one you can register with www.mundia.com and then search their site for that tree, mundia is a sister site to ancestry that has ALL of the public trees available and you can even contact them without a sub. (all you have to do is register with mundia)

hope it helps.
                                    Julie
                                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thank you Julie, I am registered with mundia but must admit I didn't realise I could contact people so thank you for the useful tip.

When I had a sub for Ancestry I did contact one person who had Robert Sanby on their tree but they had very little info on him. The contact had Robert's widow Frances marrying Daniel Sewel (who they are related to). My problem is that the parish record just states that Frances Sanbee married Daniel Sewel with no extra info so don't know if she was a widow or not. I'm pretty sure it is her and Ness has very kindly offered to do any look ups for me so hopefully one day I shall find Robert Sanby's death!! Unfortunately he travelled around a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                      X