No announcement yet.

Was someone economical with the truth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was someone economical with the truth?

Transcribing a 1919 marriage in Liverpool I noticed a Margin Note which states; "In No 187 Col 2 for Thomas Francis Wilson read Thomas Francis Wilson otherwise Thomas Mc Donald. Col 3 (Age) for 43 read 47; Additionally the grooms father's name of Albert Thomas Wilson should read Thomas Mc Donald whose occupation of Labourer had to be changed to Dealer. This was Corrected in 1948 in the presence of both parties.
    The bride, I assume, was blissfully content with her married name of Wilson for nearly 30 years but I wondered what event happened to force her to change?

Maybe when she tried to collect life insurance for him? documents had to be produced ie birth certificate etc. i have had this in my family, my grandmother married under a different name to the one on her birth certificate and the marriage certificate was amended 6 weeks after the death of my grandfather when I assume she tried to claim and the documents didn't match!
    KAREN xx

Comment

Karen, I guess it's some legal document where names and ages dont tally but I dont think we'll ever know; it's interesting to speculate and I'll bet the groom was given a 'hard' time.

Comment

LOL Alan, as you say we will never know, this is what is so frustrating sometimes about the stuff we uncover. We know the facts, but sometimes the reasons why remain unsolved. I wonder what possessed him to pick such a different name?!!
        KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
        X