Genealogy Custom Report Writer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Genealogy Custom Report Writer

Does anyone use genealogy software that allows you to write custom reports? Allows you to choose the fields, the column titles, and maybe even use if-then-else logic to select certain records and not others?

I've looked at Family Historian, Essential Roots Magic(free), PAF (free, comes close, but quite clumsy and not complete) and PAF Companion (low cost) and haven't found what I want.

It would be nice, but not absolutely necessary, if it also allowed the selected fields/records to be delimited so they could be transferred to a spreadsheet.

Thanks
    sarah

Oops, Admin -
    Could you post this in the family tree software section? dunno what I was thinkin' putting it here...

Comment

Have moved your thread to Family Tree Software.

You can certainly create custom reports with Family Tree Maker (which is the program I use) selecting which fields you want to include in the report. There is then an option to export as a csv file which could be imported into Excel (or similar) for manipulation of data.

Not sure what Family Historian has to offer but from what I hear it has far more capabilities than the majority of other software. If you don't get a response on here from a FH user (which I am sure you will!) then you could always ask on the FH forum or even download a free 30 day trial and have a play! There are some links on our Family Historian page in the reference library - click here
      Elaine

Comment

Legacy (free software) will allow you to customize reports in these fields.

Can't get my screen shot any larger, I'm sorry.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Macbev; 10-05-12, 10:37.

Beverley

Comment

There is a programme called Personal Historian 2 which might do what you need, they do a free version of the full programme which you could try before buying the complete programme, or you might find that the free version does everything that you need.

Margaret.
          Margaret

Comment

Thank you, all - something more to explore!

Comment

Family Historian will export to spreadsheets with Queries and you can write pretty well anything you want using Plugins.
              Jane
              Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
              "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Working...
              X