nellie maria locke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nellie maria locke

i have posted this on another family tree forum but was wondering i anyone on here could halp to enlighten me abit , well here goes ..

hi there i am trying to find my grandmothers parents Nellie maria was born around 1907 in Devon died 1968 barnstaple Devon ,married a richard ridd born 1903 and he died 1976 barnstaple Devon, her father Thomas Locke ,they married in sep 1927 barnstaple she was aged 21 .any help gratefully received as i have hit a brick wall with her .

certificate had been applied for with the information i have,i been emailed today to be told they cannot send me a certificate they cannot find her so have refunded me , now i am stuck any ideas anyone to what i can do now ???

Hi
    are you sure she was born in Devon ?

There is a Nellie Maria Locke born 1906 in Aston warwickshire.......

Comment

hi i dont know for sure i it was devon ?

on marriage cert says barton , brendon at time of marriage all i know for sure is father thomas locke

Comment

Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
        Hi

Hi Janet
        I spotted that one but think her father was an Edward. Just looked at the official 1911 site because I don't think Ancestry has transcribed it yet.
        Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Janet H. View Post
          Hi

That one is on 1911 with father Edward mother Sarah.

Margaret

Comment

The only one in Devon in 1911 is this one

LOCK, Thomas Head Married M 34 1877 Waggoner On Farm Devon Combe Ralreigh
            LOCK, Ellen Elizabeth Wife Married 11 years F 32 1879 Not Known
            MORGAN, Alice Mary Daughter F 11 1900 School Devon Dunkeswell
            LOCK, Eva Elizabeth Daughter F 9 1902 Devon Awliscombe
            LOCK, Florence Ellen Daughter F 8 1903 Devon Awliscombe
            LOCK, Nellie Annie Daughter F 6 1905 Devon Awliscombe <<<<<<<<<<<<
            LOCK, Lucy Amy Daughter F 4 1907 Devon Awliscombe
            LOCK, James Son M 1 1910 Devon Awliscombe
            LOCK, Walter Son M 1 1910 Devon Awliscombe
            LOCK, Thomas Son M 0 (5 MONTH) 1911 Devon Awliscombe

RG14PN12525 RG78PN720 RD269 SD1 ED1 SN33

Address:
            Hill Cottage Hembury Fort Honiton

Comment

Originally posted by libbyann1972 View Post
              hi i dont know for sure i it was devon ?

on marriage cert says barton , brendon at time of marriage all i know for sure is father thomas locke
              What is his occupation on the marriage cert - also who are the witnesses?

Margaret

Comment

Of all the Nellie Locke (including variants) entries that came up on 1911 this is one where parents not shown

ANSTEAD, Herbert Head M 39 1872 Carpenter Weybridge Surrey
                ANSTEAD, Florence Wife Married F 36 1875 Andover Hampshire
                ANSTEAD, Vera Son F 0 (8 MONTHS) 1911 Wimbledon Surrey
                LOCK, Lily Boarder Single F 18 1893 Drapers Assistant Dealer Andover Hampshire
                LOCK, Nellie Visitor F 5 1906 Andover Hampshire <<<<<<<<<
                RG14PN3485 RG78PN130 RD40 SD1 ED23 SN1
                Address:
                2 Nelson Road Wimbledon S W

Might be worth tracking through.

Margaret

PS corrected arrows as they pointed to Lily not Nellie - duhh!
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 08-05-12, 18:14.

Comment

margaretmarch thomas was a labourer and witnesses were thomas ridd and albert john french
                  Last edited by libbyann1972; 08-05-12, 17:15.

Comment

if her name inst Nellie then shouldn't her proper name be on her marriage cert ???

Comment

if her name inst Nellie then shouldn't her proper name be on her marriage cert ???
                      Her name on the marriage cert is whatever she told the registrar at the time - there is no need to show birth certs or any proof you who you say you are! You just swear that what you have said is true and that you are entitled to marry the other person.

Sorry when I checked my last posting I see I have highlighted the wrong child which is why you have asked this question, but my answer is correct anyway!

Margaret

Comment

I can't see anything else that might fit on the 1911 census which is the first place to look for Nellie.

I couldn't see anything helpful form the witness names as they seem to be a relative of the husband and someone local - pity one of the names wasn't Locke!!

Margaret

Comment

don't see what's wrong with no.6 margaret...

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                            don't see what's wrong with no.6 margaret...
                            No - that's because I've put it right now!! LOL

Comment

is there anything else i can possibly do to find out more about her ?

Comment

I think the one that Margaret found in post 8 in 1911 with a Lily Lock also there was registered as Nellie Lock in Sept 1905 in Andover (2c 249). There is also a birth ref for Lily May Lock in 1892 in Andover (2c 225). This appears to be the Lily Lock in 1901 in Andover with father Thomas Lock, a blacksmith.

Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 09-05-12, 10:07.
                                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie smiff the father Thomas lock you have isn't a labourer and that's what's on the marriage cert and also the lock is spelt with a e on the end , but it is still worth me looking into the people you have suggested might be some help , thank you .

Comment

Chrissie smiff the father Thomas lock you have isn't a labourer and that's what's on the marriage cert and also the lock is spelt with a e on the end , but it is still worth me looking into the people you have suggested might be some help , thank you .
                                    You need to bear in mind that name spellings are not always accurate or consistent over time or between people in the same family.

Unlike nowadays when we all have copies of our certificates and other records that all have to match - in those days people didn't need the papers and so it was all verbal and if they couldn't read or write very well then it was left to the person writing it down to decide on spelling.

As regards occupation that too can change especially in a downward direction.

Margaret

Comment

margaret very true indeed , well i will continue to search for her or try to anyway ,thank you for help

Comment

I think the only thing you can do in cases like this Libby is try and eliminated the other possibilities and then see if following the most likely one gives any clues. For instance - I have looked at the Nellie Annie born in Devon from Margarets post 6. I believe that she may have married a Herbert Webber and died as Nellie Annie Webber in Honiton in 1987. So if it were my tree I would start by eliminating that one.

That seemed to leave 2 others as the most likely possibles to start with. One was the one as Margaret post 9, born as Nellie Lock in Andover Hants, father probably Thomas a blacksmith (as my post 16) - so Lock not Locke but right fathers name.

Or this one in 1911 who was posted by Janet, Moggie and Margaret, with the name that's on the marriage cert but a different father's name, a labourer and she was born in Castle Bromwich. In 1911 (see below) she is one of eight children, seven at home. Did she perhaps run away to Devon and marry, so make up a fathers name for the marriage cert? I can't find a marriage or death for any other Nellie M Locke, so it might be worth trying to find some of the descendants of the other children to see if they have any more information?
                                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X