Anyone know maritime law?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know maritime law?

My great grandfather died on board a Dutch ship in 1900, 3 days before they docked in Italy. I can find no trace of the death in Dutch records, is it likely to have been registered in Italy?
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

I'm no expert, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that deaths were normally registered at the next port of call.

If it was registered in Italy it may be hard to find, because there's no central BMD registration like the GRO; BMDs are registered by the local Register Office, and very few towns have records online.

Comment

Thanks Mary, that may explain why there is no official death for him - I only found it by trawling the dutch old newspaper sites and found the death announcement inserted by his widow. There didn't seem to have been a funeral - I am wondering if he was buried at sea.
      Linda

Comment

I should think it's quite possible; 3 days would be a long time to keep a body without refrigeration, especially if the weather was warm.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 08-05-12, 17:17.

Comment

Quite possible -early July.
          Linda

Comment

I believe that the GRO keeps a records of BDM's of events that occurred at sea. Apparently this register is available on FMP. I cannot help any
            further as I do not have a sub to FMP but there is a link below. I do not know whether this applies to British ships only.

Last edited by grumpy; 08-05-12, 23:12.
            Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

An entry in the GRO Overseas Indexes (which includes maritime events) relies on the informant telling the local British Consul etc. My parents chose not to tell the then British Colonial authorities (or they did and it didn't get back to the GRO) about my brother's birth in British Africa. He had a locally-issued birth certificate but I could find no record in the GRO overseas index.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I forgot to mention that he was Dutch, so wouldn't be on the GRO. I know what you mean about not telling the Consul though UJ -my OH wasn't registered by his parents so according to the GRO doesn't exist!
                Linda

Comment

It also depends on where the ship is registered and did you know if the captain goes down with the ship none of them are ( think that may be the ones from the UK) I was lucky enough to view this book at the Gro in the last couple of weeks, but only at the page opened didn't want to start mauling it.

Comment

Working...
                  X