Help with Cutts family ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Cutts family ..

Trying to help a friend with her tree and have hit a brickwall! Looking for 1881 and 1891 census for Edward John Cutts born c1872/1873

He marries Elizabeth S(t)impson in 1896
    Marriage certificate on Ancestry - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ages&h=3213126
    Father given as Edward John Cutts, occ. pianoforte maker (deceased)

1901 census - Edward Cutt b1872 Islington
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

1911 census - Edward John Cutts b1873 Holloway
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Can anyone see Edward in the 1881/1891 census or any evidence of his father Edward John Cutts snr.

Thanks.
    Elaine

Hi Elaine

what about this one

Class: RG11; Piece: 1; Folio: 16; Page: 25;
    Edward born Acton Middlesex 1872
    has a father also Edward !

Comment

I've looked at that one Janet.
      a) the occupation of the father Edward put me off initially - letter carrier (1881 census) versus pianoforte maker (MC)
      b) there are also a number of trees on Ancestry for Edward b 1871 with him marrying Caroline Everton.
      Elaine

Comment

worth a try lol.

Comment

Anything is worth a try .. have spent most of the morning on this family!!
          Elaine

Comment

have even looked under Catts, Cetts but no luck there either.

Comment

Thanks for trying Janet.
              Elaine

Comment

I thought I'd have a go at finding the father, Edward, piano maker, in Islington, or thereabouts in 1881. I can't find anyone called CUTTS, but there are some other possibilities, if there's some name-changing going on, such as SCOTTEN, where there's an 8-year-old Edward (b St Pancras) in the family.

Christine

EDIT - less likely - in 1891 the younger Edward SCOTTEN is a Boy Clerk in the Civil Service - rather than a coachman, as in the marriage register.
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-05-12, 12:32.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine - I'll have a look. I did consider a name change earlier on when I found a Cutbush, but managed to eliminate that one!
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    I thought I'd have a go at finding the father, Edward, piano maker, in Islington, or thereabouts in 1881. I can't find anyone called CUTTS, but there are some other possibilities, if there's some name-changing going on, such as SCOTTEN, where there's an 8-year-old Edward (b St Pancras) in the family.

Christine

EDIT - less likely - in 1891 the younger Edward SCOTTEN is a Boy Clerk in the Civil Service - rather than a coachman, as in the marriage register.
                    Can also see him in the 1911 census as Edward Scotten, so he can be eliminated! :(
                    Elaine

Comment

Sorry - must go and do something "useful" or OH will be back and I'll have done nothing visible!
                      Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

... or OH will be back and I'll have done nothing visible!
                        Christine
                        I know the feeling! Thanks for looking.
                        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Trying to think out of the box I tried searching for any Cutts children baptised in the london area born to a Edward Cutts in the London area. I found several, but the occupations were letter carrier and coachman. Was hoping to find something with the right occupation and possibly an address but nothing I am afraid. So wished I could have helped.
                          Last edited by Fuzzy; 08-05-12, 16:27.
                          KAREN xx

Comment

Thanks for trying Fuzzy.
                            I am sure there is something "not quite right" here!
                            The father on the MC was shows as Edward John Cutts, deceased - so I have been looking for a death between c1872 when Edward junior was born, and 1896 when Edward was married - and I can't see any possibles.
                            I've searched with various wild cards so as to pick up name variations ... but zilch!
                            Elaine

Comment

mmmm, certainly not something quite right! Either Edward John Cutts is called something different OR maybe Edward John Cutts junior thought his father had died when in fact he hasn't. If there had been a family rift it could be possible. I would be more likely to think that the father was in fact called something different! The joys of family research eh elaine?!!!
                              KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                                mmmm, certainly not something quite right! Either Edward John Cutts is called something different OR maybe Edward John Cutts junior thought his father had died when in fact he hasn't. If there had been a family rift it could be possible. I would be more likely to think that the father was in fact called something different! The joys of family research eh elaine?!!!
                                or he is illegitimate and invented a father for the marriage record! LOL

I did see an Edward Cutts with grandparents on a quick look earlier but thought you probably saw that too.

Margaret
                                Last edited by margaretmarch; 08-05-12, 16:49.

Comment

Here it is but the age is out http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...=&pid=14147975

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                                    or he is illegitimate and invented a father for the marriage record! LOL

I did see an Edward Cutts with grandparents on a quick look earlier but thought you probably saw that too.

Margaret
                                    Hadn't thought of that! definite possibility!
                                    KAREN xx

Comment

I must say that I was beginning to winder whether the father was an invention. The occupation is unusual for such an invention, though.

Christine

Comment

I must say that I was beginning to winder whether the father was an invention. The occupation is unusual for such an invention, though.

Christine
                                        Yes, it does sound a bit fanciful for something made up but maybe there's a grain of truth in it - for example his mother might have told him about his father and what he did -maybe he died before they could marry - maybe he was already married.

In this scenario the mother's name would of course be Cutts but the father's - who knows??

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X