Advice re Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re Canada

I have found two ancestors on passenger lists to Canada, one (female) in 1912 and another (male) in 1925. Is there any way I can find out what happened to them after their arrival?
    Cath.

There was a census taken in 1916, but only in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. It is online at Ancestry. If you post the names I can look for you.
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Have you found an incoming passenger list in the Canadian online resources? That might give a destination address, which would give you a clue where to look.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
        Have you found an incoming passenger list in the Canadian online resources? That might give a destination address, which would give you a clue where to look.

Christine
        Christine,
        I've got passenger lists from Ancestry & FMP. Is there somewhere else I can search on line?

Thanks for your reply Sue but as you can see, I've already tried there.
        Cath.

Comment

Hi, Cath

If you have a look here: http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...r/index-e.html
          you might find something, if the dates suit. It looks like only the earlier date would be relevant at the moment for you.

You have to browse the images: they aren't indexed. But if you have the outgoing info from UK, it mankes it easier to locate the incoming info... usually!

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. No further information there I'm afraid.
            Cath.

Comment

Ah well. It's always worth a try. I keep going back to look at the images of the crossing my Errant Grandfather's supposed to have emigrated by - but his name never seems to appear, however many times I look! Even in the crew lists that I photographed on a visit to Kew.

Christine

Comment

Familysearch is currently indexing Canada passengers 1881-1922. I think it will be a while, and it may be the same records as ancestry has (you could check the source of ancestry's records). It may be worth keeping an eye on.

Comment

Hi Cath,

Have you tried looking on the Border Crossing Lists , and also on the USA censuses ?

The USA had a limit on how many immigrants it took a year, so some people would go to Canada first, settle for a year or two, and then cross into the states.

This wierd I know, but I find more information if you go to ancestry.ca . Some of it seems to get lost when using ancestry.com , even with the world package.

If you would like to pm your names, I will look around for them.

bcbrit
                  George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Hi Cath,

I pm ed you just now, but I don't know if it worked. I haven't found anything on the 1925 arrival. Hopefully he will pop out of the wood work soon,

bcbrit
                    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

I don't know if you looked for their names in OCFA or BCCFA:

Comment

Working...
                      X