Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I find info on a ship please?

My GG Grandfather was a seaman in the merchant service

He was lost at sea, when his ship Bristol City sunk on it's voyage home from New York in December 1880.

Could anyone tell me where I may be able to find any info on the Bristol City and it's voyage and sinking please.

Many thanks.

this might be what you are looking for
    Website with searchable ship database about warships, passenger liners, merchant ships, photo galleries, technical details, stories, news and much more.

Comment

Vallee, thank you so much.
      There's a great deal of info there, unfortunately, still can't find out why my GG Grandfather died though.

Comment

There is quite a bit of info if you google but it seems that ship disappeared and nobody knows what happened to it ? I was trying to find if there is a list of the crew on her ?
        Must go to bed will try tomorrow if nobody else has night.

Comment

Found my GG Grandfather Thomas Dix on the Roll of Honour.

Comment

There are some newspaper reports in the 19th Century British Newspaper collections:

THE STEAMER BRISTOL CITY .
            The Bristol Mercury and Daily Post (Bristol, England), Thursday, February 10, 1881; Issue 10216.

THE LOSS OF THE BRISTOL CITY .
            The Bristol Mercury and Daily Post (Bristol, England), Thursday, May 26, 1881; Issue 10306.
            Elaine

Comment

Thank you Elaine.
              I'll look for those now.

Comment

I'll get credits shortly and take a look. Thanks again for pointing it out Elaine.

Comment

Have sent you a PM.
                  Elaine

Comment

SS Bristol City

Originally posted by Morfydd from Mid Glam View Post
                    My GG Grandfather was a seaman in the merchant service

He was lost at sea, when his ship Bristol City sunk on it's voyage home from New York in December 1880.

Could anyone tell me where I may be able to find any info on the Bristol City and it's voyage and sinking please.

Many thanks.
                    Sorry to hear about your 2xGt Grandfather aboard the same vessel were two of my ancestors John hawker and his son also John both firemen. May they all RIP

Comment

Hi Morfydd

I have just seen your post about the loss of the Bristol City in Dec 1880. My GG grandfather was also on the vessel. He was Chief Engineer. I have done much research on this and it would be good to exchange information on the event. I see that 'Val wish Id never started' has directed you to http://www.maritimequest.com/daily_e...istol_city.htm. Have you visited the site and if so did you manage to obtain additional information? I have posted related material on there and continue to research the loss of the ss Bristol City. I have posted a range of information including reference to Able Seaman Thomas Dix on the roll of honour and have additional documentation relating to the loss of the freighter. I would be happy to discuss what we both know about this if you are interested?

Comment

Hi Treehunter

Please see my reply to Morfydd regarding the loss of ss Bristol City in Dec 1880.

Comment

Hi Stevie and welcome to FTF
                          It's a little while since Morfydd and Treehunter have been on line. So in case they don't see this, can I suggest that you send them a 'Private Message'. If you left click on their name (beginning of their post) you will see a box of options including 'Private Message'.
                          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Stevie G,
                            Thank you for taking the time to contact me. I have already seen the section on the maritimequest website regarding the SS Bristol City. I have two ancestors who were firemen onboard John Hawker and his son also John, if you have any further information regarding them I would be grateful if you would kindly share. Regards

Comment

H Treeghunter

Have you read the wreck report which can be found here:

Comment

Brilliant thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X