Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosetta Chambers b1868 in Rainham, Kent

Hi, I wonder if anyone could help me please

I have Rosetta Chambers bornin 1868 in Rainham, Kent, marrying William Trotman in 1900 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. He was there with the Army but I wonder what she was doing there? I don't have Ancestry Worldwide membership, so I wonder if anyone could do a look up for me and see if she travelled there sometime after 1991 and 1900. Once married they came back to UK and lived in Beaumaris, Wales for a time.

If anyone could help I would be very grateful.

there is one record of a Miss R Chambers a servant age unknown going out 4 Jan 1894 on the Labrador to Halifax

Comment

there is also a Miss Chambers born abt 1873??? (bit late) a spinster on The Scotsman leaving on the 20 Feb 1896 for Halifax

Comment

Unfortunately there are 4 Miss Chambers leaving from Liverpool going to Canada with no age given so no birth year, they are all single and travelling alone
        Departed 4/1/1894 Liverpool to Halifax, occ. servant on the Labrador
        8/9/1894 Liverpool to Montreal on the Lake Ontario
        9/7/1896 Liverpool to Quebec on the Labrador
        26/8/1898 Liverpool to Montreal on the Scotsman

Comment

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am guessing but I think my Rosetta is probably the first one of 4th January 1894 travelling as a servant. Her family wasn't wealthy so this seems the most plausable one to me. Is there any way of knowing which family she was employed by? Was it usual for them to take servants with them? I suppose she was with them in Canada for 6 years before she married, so maybe they weren't too upset to loose her.

Comment

The Labrador was a small ship and only carried 45 passengers, 15 cabin and 30 steerage. Miss Chambers is on a page with mostly servants and labourers. There is one family in the cabins but they have a nurse/servant with them, there is only one lady passenger the rest are men so doubt she would be a servant to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Frazzled View Post
              The Labrador was a small ship and only carried 45 passengers, 15 cabin and 30 steerage. Miss Chambers is on a page with mostly servants and labourers. There is one family in the cabins but they have a nurse/servant with them, there is only one lady passenger the rest are men so doubt she would be a servant to them.
              She was probably a servant by occupation and maybe going out to find work in Canada or possible to a job she had already secured. Pity she married before the 1901 otherwise we would have seen who she was living with and possibly employed by.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
              X