Christian names 'Roady' and 'Mahala'.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian names 'Roady' and 'Mahala'.

Hi everyone. After the very quick response to my previous question, I hope you don't think I am being greedy with a second one.
    I am tracing a branch of my family (Carrier) from Wisbech, Cambridgeshire, the one currently being looked into being Mary Esther Martin, who married Robert Carrier in 1859 in Wisbech. From the marriage certificate she was born in Wisbech in about 1833. The 1841 census shows a possible match, with 'Mary' (but not Esther) as 8 years old, born in Cambridgeshire. I then went to the 1851 census, which shows some family members (still in Wisbech) but not Mary - since she would now be 18 she could very well have left home, but since the marriage certificate shows her as 'spinster' in 1859 she should be somewhere as Mary (Esther) Martin, but I have had no success.
    The only possible route I have is that in 1841 Mary had a twin sister with the christian name 'Roady'. She is also missing from the 1851 census, and could of course have married by then (so a different surname) but with such an unusual name I thought I could possibly find her, but not so far.
    The writing on the census is quite clear, so I'm fairly sure of the spelling, so has anyone an idea of what Roady could be short for, or might it be a nickname?
    Any help would be gratefully received.
    On the subject of unusual names, my wife has been researching her family (from Devon and Dorset) for a while, and has one with the christian name 'Mahala' - is this as unusual as she thinks?

Thanks again,
    Bob.

Hi Bob I cant help you with Roady but Mahala is quite common in one branch of my family.
    Jen

Comment

I too have several Mahala's in my line, I thought it was unusual but then, like buses, there were loads of them that kept popping up

Comment

What does the marriage cert give for fathers name and occupation please Bob? I assume it's James a shoemaker, or similar, if you are looking at the one in Wisbech in 1841?

p.s. You don't ever need to apologise for asking for help on here. That's what we are all here wanting to do....help.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 06-05-12, 16:36.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Don't forget relationships weren't given in 1841 so Mary and and Roady need not be sisters. I'd say Roady was probably a pet name for Rhoda Martin. In 1851 Rhoda appears aged 17 with mother Hannah aged 35 (widow) and sister Mary Ann aged 4 (born in Norfolk).
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The marriage is on familysearch.
            It says Robert Carrier was widowed & his father was Richard Carrier.
            No details of father for Mary Esther Martin.
            Moggie

Comment

I was going to suggest "Rhoda", for "Roady", too.

I have come across "Mahala" - but not often.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                I was going to suggest "Rhoda", for "Roady", too.

I have come across "Mahala" - but not often.

Christine
                I think Mahala is one of those old fashioned names like Kezia that was quite common at one time and probably in patches around the country.

Margaret

Comment

Mahalia is a biblical name (OT) and was sometimes spelled Mahala.

I agree Roady was Rhoda.

OC

Comment

I know the birth date is out but what do you reckon to these baptisms...

Day:20
                    Month:Aug
                    Year:1848
                    Forenames:Mary
                    Surname:Martin
                    Relationship:dau of
                    Father forenames:William BELLAIR
                    Fathers occupation:carpenter
                    Mother forenames:Hannah MARTIN single woman
                    Birth Day:5
                    Birth Month Feb
                    Birth Year: 1837
                    Abode:father - of Walsoken / mother - of Church Street now in Lynn
                    Place:Wisbech, St Peter
                    County:Cambridgeshire

Forenames:Rhoda Isabella
                    Father forenames:William BELLAIR
                    Fathers occupation:carpenter
                    Birth Day:5
                    Birth Month Feb
                    Birth Year:1837

any thoughts
                    Last edited by Elaine; 06-05-12, 19:56.
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi all, these replies just go to confirm my view that it is all very confusing. I assumed that the fact that 2 girls were both 8 in the 1841 census meant they were twins, but I had overlooked the fact that relationships were not given until 1851 - just proves what I was always told, 'don't assume'.
                      Chrissie, the 1841 census shows James Martin, shoemaker, age 65 (approx. of course) but the marriage certificate for Mary Esther Martin marrying Robert Carrier (my ancestor) does not give Mary's father's name or profession, just a line through the box. I wonder if she fell out with the family.
                      The 1841 census also shows Ann Martin, aged 35,who I assumed was his wife (probably wrong again). She appears again in the 1851 census, as the head of the household, but not married, but with occupation 'shoe mender'. There is also a Mariah Martin (who was also in the 1841 census), aged 13 in 1841 and 23 in 1851. The marriage certificate for Mary Esther and Robert has one of the witnesses as Mariah Martin. This seemed to me fairly good evidence that this was the correct family. I really need Mary (Esther) Martin to show in the 1851 census to give more confidence. The 1861 census shows Robert and Mary E. Carrier (both with the correct places of birth) living in Lambeth. From then on the records are quite easy to follow and lead with reasonable certainty to my grandfather (Fred Robert Carrier).
                      I hope these ramblings make sense. I can now see why my name is Robert Carrier (and my father's middle name was Robert).
                      I would like to again say thanks for your assistance, and generous welcome to the site. I must now go back on the computer and try to make some sense of what I find.
                      Bob.

Comment

Found this

MARTIN Rhoda Isabella Spalding Lincolnshire 1857 Jul-Aug-Sep

COCKELL, William
                        SHARMAN, William
                        Elaine

Comment

Went to 1851 and it's a couple of pages back on one site
                          Wisbech St Peter's
                          Ann head Unmr
                          Maria Dau Unmar
                          Elizabeth niece 15
                          Harriet grandau 5

just showing relationships in case it helps anyone looking
                          Last edited by Elaine; 06-05-12, 20:38.
                          Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                            Found this

MARTIN Rhoda Isabella Spalding Lincolnshire 1857 Jul-Aug-Sep

COCKELL, William
                            SHARMAN, William
                            The Lincs FHS marriages databases (http://mi.lincolnshiremarriages.org.uk/) give this as a match for MARTIN, Rhoda Isabella & COCKELL, William on 14 Jul 1857 at Surfleet. William's father's name is given as William, too, and Rhoda's father's as William, as well.

Christine
                            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

That same database has a marriage for a Martha Mariah MARTIN, d/o William - but not until 16 May 1895 at Weston, to Joseph KITCHEN, s/o William.

Christine

Comment

The nearest match I can come up with is

1851 Census
                                MARTIN, Ann
                                WISBECH, Cambridgeshire
                                HO107 piece 1766 folio 256 page 34

Sophia Roper head of household is from Spalding just to tease us
                                Last edited by Elaine; 06-05-12, 21:29.
                                Elaine

Comment

Found another one and a different father

Forenames:Elizabeth
                                  Father forenames:John LEVERINGTON
                                  Fathers occupation:lab
                                  Birth Day:
                                  Birth Month:
                                  Birth Year:
                                  Elaine

Comment

Thought these 2 were worth a look from 1841 address

Day:18
                                    Month:Jun
                                    Year:1850
                                    Forenames:Maria
                                    Father forenames:Benjamin UTTING
                                    Fathers occupation:brickmaker
                                    Mother forenames:Hannah MARTIN singlewoman
                                    Birth Day:4
                                    Birth Month:May
                                    Birth Year:1846

Poss Mary Ann and Maria on census looking at 51/61 although not sure of the Norfolk bit

Day:30
                                    Month:Mar
                                    Year:1856
                                    Forenames:Elizabeth Gadsby
                                    Relationship of
                                    Father forenames:
                                    Fathers occupation:
                                    Mother forenames:Mary Ann single woman
                                    Birth Day:29
                                    Birth Month Dec
                                    Birth Year:1855
                                    Abode of North Brink
                                    Abode:father of - March / mother of - North Brink
                                    Last edited by Elaine; 06-05-12, 23:07.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Bobc35 View Post
                                      Hi all, these replies just go to confirm my view that it is all very confusing. I assumed that the fact that 2 girls were both 8 in the 1841 census meant they were twins, but I had overlooked the fact that relationships were not given until 1851 - just proves what I was always told, 'don't assume'.
                                      Chrissie, the 1841 census shows James Martin, shoemaker, age 65 (approx. of course) but the marriage certificate for Mary Esther Martin marrying Robert Carrier (my ancestor) does not give Mary's father's name or profession, just a line through the box. I wonder if she fell out with the family.
                                      The 1841 census also shows Ann Martin, aged 35,who I assumed was his wife (probably wrong again). She appears again in the 1851 census, as the head of the household, but not married, but with occupation 'shoe mender'. There is also a Mariah Martin (who was also in the 1841 census), aged 13 in 1841 and 23 in 1851. The marriage certificate for Mary Esther and Robert has one of the witnesses as Mariah Martin. This seemed to me fairly good evidence that this was the correct family. I really need Mary (Esther) Martin to show in the 1851 census to give more confidence. The 1861 census shows Robert and Mary E. Carrier (both with the correct places of birth) living in Lambeth. From then on the records are quite easy to follow and lead with reasonable certainty to my grandfather (Fred Robert Carrier).
                                      I hope these ramblings make sense. I can now see why my name is Robert Carrier (and my father's middle name was Robert).
                                      I would like to again say thanks for your assistance, and generous welcome to the site. I must now go back on the computer and try to make some sense of what I find.
                                      Bob.
                                      No father named (line through the box)usually means illegitimate rather than 'falling out'.

Margaret

Comment

If you have a look at FreeReg, all St Peter's are on there, here's another the same day as Maria

County Cambridgeshire
                                        Place Wisbech
                                        Church St Peter
                                        RegisterNumber
                                        DateOfBirth 04 May 1846
                                        BaptismDate 18 Jun 1850
                                        Forename Maria
                                        Sex F
                                        FatherForename Benjamin
                                        MotherForename Hannah
                                        FatherSurname UTTING
                                        MotherSurname MARTIN
                                        Abode March
                                        FatherOccupation Brickmaker
                                        Notes Hannah a single woman from North Brink
                                        FileNumber 23327
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X