Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seax... Can anyone tell me if this record is there to make a sub worthwhile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seax... Can anyone tell me if this record is there to make a sub worthwhile?

I have found that the likely register - if my ancestor was baptised in a C of E Church - is here:
    Essex Record Office
    Parish Records
    BARKINGSIDE, Holy Trinity
    INCUMBENT
    Service of Church: Registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials
    Baptism register
    Item
    D/P 521/1/1
    1840-1908
    1 volume
    [Baptism register]
    Includes 'List of baptisms by the Rev. F. Mann at Claybury ...', 1893-1901 (pp. 411-414).
    [Frederic Mann was chaplain to London County Lunatic Asylum, Claybury (Kelly's Directory of Essex, 1895, p. 386)].
    I'm quite happy to pay a sub, but don't want to do so if the record I'm after isn't there. If someone has a sub and can check if it's worth my while, I'd be very grateful. I'm not asking anyone to get the image for me, if it exists - just to let me know if it's there.

William Charles LANCASTER,
    s/o William LANCASTER, manager to a charcoal merchant, & Elizabeth BATES
    b 13 Apr 1863, Barkingside

This family often has marriages in register offices, and doesn't always seem to appear in C of E registers, so I suspect that they may well not have had a child baptised in the Parish Church. If they did - well then, it would be nice to get a copy of the register page and I'll cough up the sub in order to get it. It would be worth looking only for a couple of years, at most, after the DoB.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Looking at

when I had my sub, if it said digital images and microfiche, they were viewable. I'm guessing looking at the link and on checking one of the parishes I viewed ( which says digital images and microfiche even without a sub ) that it is a no.

If you have a look at Sible Hedingham St Peter using the link above, you will see what I mean. Hope it helps
    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

There was an icon for viewable images for that particular register - just that it goes to firstly that set of info above, and it has the registration/subscribe window if you actually want the images.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I know, I was a bit puzzled, I wish I still had my sub!

When you look at the link, there would appear to be only one set of burials viewable

This is the parish I viewed a lot of registers for

which makes me think it's not worth the sub for you
        Elaine

Comment

Thank you, Elaine.

As I said - I'm quite prepared to pay - if I'm paying for something and not for nothing!

Christine

Comment

Might be worth an email, typical it's a bank holiday!
            Elaine

Comment

Hi

I had a look and couldn't see the baptism at Holy Trinity Barkingside, what is your source for the information?

Comment

Originally posted by SuffolkSue View Post
                Hi

I had a look and couldn't see the baptism at Holy Trinity Barkingside, what is your source for the information?
                Thank you very much, SuffolkSue.

The birth certificate gives the DoB and place - as well as confirming the parents' names, of course. As I said - they're quite likely to have opted for an independent church baptism... which could have been much later, of course.

Christine

Comment

they add them online, so it may be of use for you at a later date?

Comment

The problem is that they aren't indexed, so I don't know if there's a relevant record to be found in the parish register that could hold it. I reckon, given the info I found (and having used the site before it became a PAYG site, and was free), that the icon I saw represents uploaded images. I was just hoping that someone who already has a sub could have a quick look and see if the record I'm after is there.

Another problem is that - the more I think about it - the more it's something of a trawl, so "a quick look" might not be an accurate description!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                    X