Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot find a marriage:

This is the family on the 1871:

I have one of the childrens birth certificates and I know Celia's maiden name is Tyler.

I cannot find a Thomas Skidmore/Celia Tyler marriage.

Have tried allsorts, searching for celia in case skidmore mistranscribed and vice versa.

First child was born 1856 so would be around that time ish, almost certainly in Gloucestershire and both born there and so were all children.

First marriage have not been able to find whilst doing hubbys tree, so had to happen eventually!! His family have been so well behaved, even when children were not registered they were catholics so mothers maiden name was given, so I have had it easy until now!!

Help greatly appreciated
    KAREN xx

June 1853 Pontypool 11a 249

Cecilia Tyler to Thomas Skidmore

OC

Comment

Have you tried to eliminate this one ..
      Marriages Jun 1853
      Lismore Charles Henry
      Meredith Catherine
      Skidmore Thomas
      Tyler Cecilia
      Pontypool 11a 249

.. not really the right area and no idea if Thomas married Catherine or Cecilia.
      Elaine

Comment

Oh my god thanks OC, why wasn't that coming up on ancestry?!!! It has to be them, i wonder why Pontypool??
        KAREN xx

Comment

Ah elaine, cross posted! Will have to work on it, for elimination. Pontypool does worry me. Good thing is that thomas is a shoemaker so we hopefully know if it right, if it is them as a couple.
          KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
            Oh my god thanks OC, why wasn't that coming up on ancestry?!!! It has to be them, i wonder why Pontypool??
            Am talking rubbish it did come up on ancestry when I didn't put in Gloucestershire as place for marriage
            KAREN xx

Comment

First child was born 1856 so would be around that time ish, almost certainly in Gloucestershire and both born there and so were all children.
              Have you picked up all the baptisms on FamilySearch?

For example, there appears to be a Joseph, b 9 Feb 1851, and baptised a month later, at St Thomas, Dudley, Worcs.

EDIT: I should say that - in the course of looking for info for my next post, I did see a marriage in 1838 in Dudley for a Thomas SKIDMORE and a Cecilia WILKES, so there could be some alternative explanations for the earlier children attributed to Thomas & Celia SKIDMORE.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-05-12, 20:43.
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Have you tried to eliminate this one ..
                Marriages Jun 1853
                Lismore Charles Henry
                Meredith Catherine
                Skidmore Thomas
                Tyler Cecilia
                Pontypool 11a 249

.. not really the right area and no idea if Thomas married Catherine or Cecilia.
                Free BMD has a PostIt for Lismore Charles Henry:
                Charles Henry was christened 15 Mar 1829 in Tipton, son of William and Maria, and married Catherine Meredith who was 8 years his senior.
                Of course, it would be interesting to see if the marriage were by banns or by licence. If all your neighbours thought you were already married, it could be embarrassing to be married in the local church by banns, so a more distant one, by licence, would be easier?

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-05-12, 20:41.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  Have you picked up all the baptisms on FamilySearch?

For example, there appears to be a Joseph, b 9 Feb 1851, and baptised a month later, at St Thomas, Dudley, Worcs.

Christine
                  I think that might be a different family. In 1871 Thomas claims he was aged 41, therefore born c1830 and Celis aged 38 therefore born c 1833.

The Joseph baptised in 1851 looks as if it could be from this family in the 1851 census

HO107; Piece: 2032; Folio: 508; Page: 33;
                  Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    I think that might be a different family. In 1871 Thomas claims he was aged 41, therefore born c1830 and Celis aged 38 therefore born c 1833.

The Joseph baptised in 1851 looks as if it could be from this family in the 1851 census

HO107; Piece: 2032; Folio: 508; Page: 33;
                    You've probably found the back-up for my alternative explanation, added in afterwards.

Comment

Yes, Christine it is a different family. but thanks to going to so much trouble for me. It has to be their marriage in pontypool. What are the odds of finding a Thomas Skidmore and a celia/cecilia Tyler on the same page???!!! As I said I have one of the childrens birth certs, so I know that her maiden name is Tyler. Why on earth Pontypool though???!!! Need that time machine again!!LOL
                      KAREN xx

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy View Post
                        Yes, Christine it is a different family. but thanks to going to so much trouble for me. It has to be their marriage in pontypool. What are the odds of finding a Thomas Skidmore and a celia/cecilia Tyler on the same page???!!! As I said I have one of the childrens birth certs, so I know that her maiden name is Tyler. Why on earth Pontypool though???!!! Need that time machine again!!LOL
                        Like I said - maybe there was some reason why they wanted to be married away from the people who knew them both well?

Christine

Comment

I did find this morning a Charles Skidmore, who I believe to be Thomas' brother and on the census he was lodging in Monmouthshire! Perhaps there is the link. it is 26 miles from Bristol to Pontypool, so not a million miles I suppose. Will post on the forum when it arrives!
                          KAREN xx

Comment

Working...
                          X