Looking for....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for....

Any info on Robert Cameron, married Margaret (2nd wife, unsure of first wife), 4 children; Ella, Douglas, John and Robert. Unsure of DOBs except Robert who was my grandad. Born Dec 20 1923 in Edinburgh. I'm stuck!
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 06-05-12, 12:38. Reason: surname reinstated!

The best place to look is http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Comment

Hi Tan,
      Sorry to have to edit your post but we do not allow details of living people to be posted on the forum. If you can confirm that all who are mentioned have died then you can amend the post and include the surname again.
      As Mary has said, the place to start is Scotlands People - do ask again if you get stuck!
      Elaine

Comment

He isn't living. Born 1894, so I'd be worried I he was!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
          The best place to look is http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
          I have. Can't find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Tan View Post
            That would, indeed be seriously impressive! I suggest you go back and reinstate the name, then, so that people can help more easily. If you put the name back in, it's easier for one of us to reinstate it in the heading for you.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-05-12, 21:04.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sorry, didn't make myself clear. I was concerned whether the children were still living - Ella, Douglas, John and Robert - which is why I removed their father's surname.
              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                Sorry, didn't make myself clear. I was concerned whether the children were still living - Ella, Douglas, John and Robert - which is why I removed their father's surname.
                Ah, yes. That could be problematic. OK if everyone only ever searched for names in inverted commas, so that it would pick up only the whole names, but many people don't do that, so the surnames and first names could be collected separately.

Christine
                Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-05-12, 21:25.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Pretty certain all children are deceased. My grandad died in 1989 and he was the youngest.

Comment

Thanks Tan - hope you appreciate that we have to be careful with publishing names of living people. Have reinstated the surname in your first post. Let's hope someone can come up with something to help.
                    Elaine

Comment

Thank you ;D

Comment

Any info on Robert Cameron, married Margaret (2nd wife, unsure of first wife), 4 children; Ella, Douglas, John and Robert. Unsure of DOBs except Robert who was my grandad. Born Dec 20 1923 in Edinburgh. I'm stuck!
                        What exactly are you looking for?

If you have your grandfather's birth certificate it will give his parent's names and possibly more information if indeed he was born in Scotland. That's your start point for going back through his line.

If you want to go forward and can't see the marriage or births in scotlandspeople then you need to check the England and Wales index and possibly the Irish ones - all on ancestry.

Margaret

Comment

I have checked scotlandspeople and as you say nothing is coming up for Robert's birth in 1923 nor for a marriage for Robert snr.

You say he was married before - it must have been a short marriage as he would only have been eligible to marry (age 16) in 1910 and if your grandfather was not the first born then not much time in between to have all the others.

Margaret

Comment

Although there are no matching births in Edinburgh for your grandfather there are 35 matches for a Robert Cameron born 1923-1924 doing a free search. When I searched for Ella between 1910 and 1923 there were 4 matches, but non in Edinburgh either.
                            Have you looked at those 4 Ella births Tan? As Ella is the least common of the 4 names.
                            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Interestingly I repeated your search Chrissie and found this which doesn't come up when you select Edinburgh as the district!!

1923 CAMERON ROBERT M DALRY AND GORGIE EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/08 0245

Margaret

Comment

Oh that is interesting Margaret Does that mean mmn Dalry and father Gorgie?

Comment

I wonder if one of the 4 Ella births match?

Comment

There is a birth for an Ella in Edinburgh

1910 CAMERON ELLA BRUCE F MORNINGSIDE EDINBURGH CITY/MIDLOTHIAN 685/06 0414

but I was able to look at the registration and she is illegitimate so not the one we are looking for.

Margaret
                                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 10-05-12, 11:55.

Comment

Oh, there is one Ella Cameron coming up in Edinburgh City. I have narrowed it down to 1910.

Comment

Ahhhh cross posted.

Comment

Working...
                                        X