Wllett family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wllett family

I am now trying to trace my husbands grandparents and family on his fathers side.

Horace Willett born in the 1880's wife Minnie Willett born in the 1880's I believe they lived in Ryde.

I still seem unable to find how to get onto a free be census site.

They had a large family known children James, Horrice and Mary all the children of Horace and Minnie are now deceased.

Any help would again be appreciated.

what are you looking for do you know when they married

Comment

have pmd you

Comment

Originally posted by rosieloo View Post

I still seem unable to find how to get onto a free be census site.
        For free census information you could try the Family Search website - although I am not sure how complete it is.
        Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

If they were based in the Isle of Wight then you might like to look at the Isle of Wight Family History Society website
        - http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk/
        Try searching the "database quick search" - seems to bring up quite a few entries which appear relevant, e.g. marriage of Horace & Minnie (Smith) as well as the birth registrations of a number of their children.
        Elaine

Comment

There is also some free census information here, but it isn't complete by any means:

Use FreeCEN to access 19th Century UK Censuses online and for free. You can use FreeCEN transcriptions to discover your ancestors' occupation, family history and household information.

Your best bet is to get a 14-day free trial to Ancestry, which will give you all the censuses (but don't forget to cancel before the 14 days are up, otherwise you have to pay).

Comment

Another option for accessing the census is to visit your local library. You will find that many libraries in England (and maybe the rest of the UK) offer free access to Ancestry on the library computers.
            Elaine

Comment

This is the family in 1911:

Address: 16 8 John Street Newport I of W
              WILLETT, Horace Head Married M 32 1879 Florists Worker Tunbridge Wells
              WILLETT, Minnie Wife Married F 32 1879 Auckfield
              WILLETT, Mary Daughter Married M 8 1903 Kent
              WILLETT, Frank Son M 7 1904 Kent
              WILLETT, Jimmy Son M 4 1907 Newport I of W
              WILLETT, Henry Son M 1 1910 Newport I of W

One child had died.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I've found Horace with his family in 1891 and 1901. It looks as though they were gipsies.

1891 Census
                Address: Gipsy Wigwam In A Field At Stokes Bay, Marine View, Alverstoke, Anglesey
                WILLETT, Joseph Head Married M 33 1858 Gipsy Basket Maker Brighton Sussex
                WILLETT, Mary Wife Married F 32 1859 Maidstone Kent
                WILLETT, Joseph Son Single M 17 1874 Basket Makers Assistant Hastings Sussex
                WILLETT, Horace Son M 14 1877 Scholar Tunbridge Wells Kent
                WILLETT, Richard Son M 12 1879 Scholar Tunbridge Wells Kent
                WILLETT, James Son M 10 1881 Scholar Tunbridge Wells Kent
                WILLETT, Louisa Daughter F 3 1888 Tunbridge Wells Kent

1901 Census
                Address: Tents Close By Shed, Seal, Kent
                WILLETT, Joseph Head Married M 54 1847 Ordinary Farm Labourer Brighton Sussex
                WILLETT, Joseph Son Married M 24 1877 Ordinary Farm Labourer Hastings Sussex
                WILLETT, Horace Son Single M 22 1879 Ordinary Farm Labourer Tunbridge Wells Kent
                WILLETT, Richard Son Single M 18 1883 Ordinary Farm Labourer Ash Surrey
                WILLETT, James Son Single M 15 1886 Ordinary Farm Labourer Bexley Sussex
                WILLETT, Louisa Daughter F 12 1889 Tunbridge Wells Kent
                WILLETT, Henry Son M 10 1891 Stoke Hampshire
                WILLETT, Noah Son M 8 1893 Seal Kent
                WILLETT, Emma Daughter-In-Law Married F 20 1881 Poplar London
                WILLETT, Joseph Grand Son M 0 (5 MOS) 1901 Golden Green Kent
                Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 05-05-12, 13:13.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Horace and Minnie married in 1908:
                  Name: WILLETT, Horace
                  SMITH, Minnie
                  Registration district: Isle of Wight
                  County: Hampshire
                  Year of registration: 1908
                  Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
                  Volume no: 2B

Page no: 1264
                  Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 05-05-12, 13:18.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

A couple of possible children:

Name: WILLETT, Caroline K

Year of registration: 1913
                    Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
                    Mother's maiden name: Smith
                    Volume no: 2B
                    Page no:1121

Name: WILLETT, Joseph
                    Year of registration: 1916
                    Quarter of registration: Apr-May-Jun
                    Mother's maiden name: Smith

Volume no:[ 2B
                    Page no: 1155
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Many thanks everybody for all the help its great.

Oh dear talk about history my husband and I did laugh when we read about they were gipsies we had heard rumours of that before.
                      My husband has not chuckled for a long time but when he read about the family living in a tent next to the shed he did laugh.
                      (Not unkindly though) it must have been a tough life.

There are Nieces and Nephews that will also appreciate all this info. Maureen.

Comment

thats the funniest thing I have read for ages

Gipsy Wigwam In A Field
                        and
                        Tents by Shed lol
                        I have one lot living in a Van in Looose Lane thought that was good yours is better

Comment

Yes, I did smile when I found them. Horace seems to have settled down a bit, though.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:

Comment

Can you imagine the enumerator wondering what to write?
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

ooh I'd so love to be able to peak into the past

Comment

Working...
                              X