English militia in Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English militia in Ireland

I have someone who's in the Cambridge militia, which apparently spent some time in Ireland around 1812.

Does anyone know where I might find any baptisms for soldier's children that took place there?

The Army records on FMP will find any army people who married and had children whilst in the army. Some people who were in the Militia in 1812 will often be part of the army and being moved around as this is the time of the Napoleonic Wars. Worth checking FMP as these registers go back to about 1780. If you cannot find anything on FMP then you may have to make a trip to the Cambridge Archives to see what you can find from their Cambridge Militia Records. I have one who was in the Hampshire Militia and I managed to check his records through going to Winchester and finding the Hampshire Militia Records which gave all details of my ancestor's whereabouts and he travelled wide from Maker in Cornwall to Salisbury. From that information I was able to find all the baptisms from the various CRO's. If you are looking for baptisms in Ireland around 1812 you will need to know the county, barony and Townland he was stationed as well as whether they were Catholic or Protestant baptisms. This may requirwe a visit to Ireland as not all parish records from Ireland are online. What is online tends to be mainly post 1864. Very few places in Ireland have records going back beyond the 1820's so it all depends where in Ireland and whether or not you can find what you want on FMP.

Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet, it's encouraging that you managed to find out so much info on the militia. I haven't found anything on FMP so it looks like I'll have to go the RO route too.

As you say, they did get around - I know my man spent time in Scotland and Essex, but there's a 6 year gap in births just at the time when the militia were in Ireland which I'd like to fill.

Comment

Just one other thought. There are militia records at TNA and they also may be worth checking out, but again I think you will have to go to TNA to research, but worth checking the online catalogue of TNA to see what or if anything is available online. Unfortunately, as with many records, some militia records have survived and some not. Good luck in your research. The Access to Archives(A2A) part of TNA may also help.

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 04-05-12, 22:54.

Comment

Thanks, Janet, will have a look.

Edited to add - yep, Kew has muster and pay books for the relevant time. I'll add that to my list of things to do when I manage a trip there.
          Last edited by Lindsay; 05-05-12, 08:00.

Comment

Working...
          X