Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage certificate wording.

Hi,
    I am new to this site, and fairly new to genealogy. I have joined Ancestry.co , and am finding it very useful. I now have a problem (not the last one I'm sure) which I hope someone can help with.
    The latest marriage certificate I have received - dated 1859 - has one word that I cannot decipher, in the column for Father's name. All the other marriage certificates I have show in this column the father's name, a dash (showing that the father was unknown) ,or the name plus 'deceased' in brackets, and never anything else. These I can understand. On this latest one there is the father's name (Richard Carrier) plus another word which I cannot read. I have attached (I hope) a copy of this section of the certificate in case anyone can help.
    Any assistance would be very welcome, and if this problem has cropped up before and I have not found it, my apologies for taking up your time.
    I plan to use this site to contact anyone else researching my branch of the CARRIER family, once I work out how.

Thanks again,
    Bob.
    Attached Files

Hello Bobc35 and welcome to FTF.

It looks like Richard Carrier Snowden or Scowden to me, which would be his surname, nothing else.

OC

Comment

Could it say Swavesea? There was a Richard Carrier aged 78 living in Swavesey in 1861 - perhaps they thought they should give his address as well as his name. Swavesey is about 30 miles from Wisbech where you people married, and in the 1840s a railway was built between Cambridge and Wisbech, with a station at Swavesey so movement between the two places was easy.
      Last edited by JudithM; 04-05-12, 17:40. Reason: extra info
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Oooh, Judith, I think you are right! Address written in the wrong column!

OC

Comment

Thanks Judith, this is almost certainly the answer. Both sides of the family were from this area for many generations before moving to London.
          I am very impressed with the speed of response on this, the only problem of course is that it will encourage me to pester you all with more questions.
          Thanks again,
          Bob.

Comment

Working...
          X